Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Help please!

Question Help please!

I have a Phillips MCM8 CD Player, for some reason its refusing to play CDs...........the display that comes up is.... "DISC NOT FINALIZED".......Ive gone through the instruction manual cant find anything relating to that display...does anyone know what the problem could be or what that display means? Im of manual mode so not really clued up on modern technology ........any info would be appreciated rather than having to contact Phillips directly!

Default CD Player

Is it a CD that has been burnt on a pc? Disk might not have been closed properly so will only work on a pc.

Have you tried another CD?

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix
    I have a Phillips MCM8 CD Player, for some reason its refusing to play CDs...........the display that comes up is.... "DISC NOT FINALIZED".......Ive gone through the instruction manual cant find anything relating to that display...does anyone know what the problem could be or what that display means? Im of manual mode so not really clued up on modern technology ........any info would be appreciated rather than having to contact Phillips directly!
    Are these bought CDs or CDs someone has burnt on a computer?

It normally would just mean there is data on the disc, but the way it has been added means more can be added later. (multi session)

It will work on a PC with a cd/DVD writer or on some normal drives with a UDF reader.

If this is the case, find someone with something like EasyCD Creator, click disc information and select finalise disc. 30 seconds later you will be in business. Hope this helps.

Regards

Smile

Many thanks guys/girls...... I usually play bought cds but have some that have been burnt on......MP3s I believe theyre called ........the same display comes up with both! I can get them to play on the PC, but not on the MCM8.....I dont fully understand what you mean Neil, could it be that by playing burnt on cds that its mucked up the programming of the MCM8 and that I need to do what you have suggested to get it back to normal?

The reason its not working is either the music wasnt burnt correctly onto cd or the blank cd is not compatabile with your cd player at lot of people think that a blank cd will work on any cd player but it wont certain brands of blank cds work on certain players its just a case of finding a brand of cd that works for you .

Unhappy

Its bought CDs that wont work, they too come up Disc Not Finalised ......Im not too bothered about the burnt on ones not working I can live without that......cant live without the bought ones not playing........any suggestions?

Its bought CDs that wont work, they too come up Disc Not Finalised ......Im not too bothered about the burnt on ones not working I can live without that......cant live without the bought ones not playing........any suggestions?
    If its bought ones that are causing the problem there is a fair chance something has gone wrong with your player.

All bought CD's are finalised, ie You cannot add any more tracks and are read only.

I would take the player back to where it was bought and have it checked out.

Sorry I cant be any more help

Thanks Neil.......I did feel it was the CD player at fault but was hoping it wasnt! Thanks to you all for trying to help looks like its Phillips Ill have to contact!