Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: mother at 63

Quote Originally Posted by connieb19
    My dad's 65 and i could see him out quite happily kicking a ball with a kid. My mums the same age and there's still plenty of life in her too. I'm not saying i agree with this woman having a child at this age, but give the oldies a break. They're not all old and senile. I think 63 is still quite young. This woman could quite easily have another 30 years in front of her..
    Maybe 10 years at home with her child and the following 20 in a care home.

Quote Originally Posted by Bingobabe
    Maybe 10 years at home with her child and the following 20 in a care home.
    10 years looking after her child and the next 20 years the child will be looking after her.

My dad's 65 and i could see him out quite happily kicking a ball with a kid. My mums the same age and there's still plenty of life in her too. I'm not saying i agree with this woman having a child at this age, but give the oldies a break. They're not all old and senile. I think 63 is still quite young. This woman could quite easily have another 30 years in front of her..
    I totally agree wi you connie 65 aint old my gran is 87 this year and she goes to yoga, circle dancing, swimming, sauna, dog sits and walks for miles and she just retired last year, she is a lot fitter than people half her age.
    its doing all these things that keep her fit and young at heart.

but she certainly wouldnt want to have babies lol
    Last edited by sam; 04-May-06 at 22:09.
    The man who views the world at fifty,
    the same as he did at twenty,
    has wasted thirty years of his life.

I'd rather a kid had a decent 10/15 years upbringing with old parents, than, a lifetime with unfit parents. Some folk arn't fit to look after a budgie, never mind a kid..
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

Cool

My old mam is 65 & I just cant picture her getting jiggy at that age,shes fit enough but shes happy to be grandma not a new mam,Least Id hope so.
    Sorry if ye read this mother, but No

I think I would rather see two older parents who can provide for thier child than perhaps a single 16 year old who may have to rely on the state to bring up her child as she loses her own childhood.
    Live the Life

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Roses
    My old mam is 65 & I just cant picture her getting jiggy at that age,shes fit enough but shes happy to be grandma not a new mam,Least Id hope so.
    Sorry if ye read this mother, but No
    Give your mam a break, she's still a young spring chicky..lol
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

Your mom and dad, like mine, love spending time with their grandchildren. A few hours,a day, a weekend or even aholiday are completely different to living with and raising a child. To my knowledge there are not that many spritely 80 year olds with enough get go to deal with children as parents. Nature has created a system to make sure that this does not happen and we are contravening nature.
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

Quote Originally Posted by philupmaboug
    I think I would rather see two older parents who can provide for thier child than perhaps a single 16 year old who may have to rely on the state to bring up her child as she loses her own childhood.

I don't understand this 8 or 80 stuff going on. Not all young mothers are bad (though mentally I don't think they are preparedto be parents), as I am sure that there are 45 year old mums that can also be negligent. And I am sure that this sixty year old mother will cherish the child exactly because she knows the time she has is limited and precious. But this is not relevant to the issue, in my opinion.

What I think the core issue here is if medicine should be pushing these natural boundries to motherhood futher and futher back. Nature determines that we cannot have children when older. There are age limits to adoption, yet if you can convince a doctor to medicate you to reverse your menopause you can have a child at sixty odd years. It doesn't make sense.
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

I think it is wrong that a woman of this age was allowed ivf treatment, when so many young couples cant get it. I thought there was an age limit. she wont have the patience with a young child at her age, and the child wont have many years with its mother, who will look more like a granny than a mum when the child is ten.

Talking Yum Yum

Give your mam a break, she's still a young spring chicky..lol
    Must show this to the wife

I am strongly against this. I always think of a herd of deer or a pack of wolves. It is the young fit strong animals that breed to ensure fit strong healthy youngsters to continue the pack. Survival of the fittest and all that. Will all these older parents produce kids that are not so strong or healthy. The risks to the mother and the unborn child must be greatly increased at that age. Why do you think older people are less fertile? It is going against the laws of nature doing this. Many doctors recon the reason that so many couple have trouble conceiving is because they don't start trying for kids until they are mid 30s. By the time they are realising they have a problem they are approaching 40. I don't need a doctor to tell me what the problem is, nature is doing it for me. When I am that age I hope to be a grandad. At 33 years old I consider my days of producing children as over. Sleepless nights and dirty nappies at 63 no thanks. I think a lot of the rules in this country are stupid but My goodness the Italian's must be crazy allowing this to happen

Quote Originally Posted by Mr & Mrs Billy Boy
    IThere is also a high chance of disabilities in childen born to women over 40.
    There is an increased risk but the chances are not "high". Naturally conceiving a baby over the age of forty happens but your body tells you your child bearing and child rearing days should be over when you have the menopause. Miriam Stoppard said last night that this was an example of the consumer society we live in - i want so i shall just go out and buy and i think that she is right. Being 63 doesnt make you too old to be a good parent but nature tells you that your body is past child bearing. The trouble is though that fostering and Adoption sometimes discriminate against the older parent too remember. With an aging population and children in care who need fostering and adoption maye this needs re examning

my husbands mum was 43 the year she had him..
    and that was all down to nature..
    he will be 35 tomorrow and his mum passed in 98.
    so he had his entire childhood.. and young adult years with his mum .. before she passed with a stroke..
    on the other shoe..
    my real mum was just 17 by a couple weeks when she had me.. and fell dead.. when i turned 17..
    i am the oldest of 7.. the youngest just turned 18 this year.
    she was all of 5 years old when she died..
    and cause of death? natural causes.
    so we can not sit back and say that someone should not be able to have children because they are too old and will not be around to care for their children..
    remember that there are no guarentees in this life
    we take what we are given and be grateful for it,
    i will love and cherish my children as long as i live.. hopefully that will be a long long time .. but if i dont then they will know that their mummy loved them very very much and that they will always be taken care of.. as any responsible parent will have set in motion. that if anything happened to them , then they would be cared for.
    http://itqueries.com/

krieve Guest

I totally agree Connie my granny is 78 and she still likes to have fun she even travelled from Edinburgh to Aberdeen to watch Hibs play with my uncle. I hope i am as active when i reach that age!

To be fair it is her choice and who are we to judge anyone.But i have a 7 month old baby and he keeps me very active and i work full time so it is hard going at times.So the point im trying to make is im 24 years old and find it difficult what is it going to be like for a 63 year old woman. But i love my son more than life itself and wouldnt change a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by krieve
    I totally agree Connie my granny is 78 and she still likes to have fun she even travelled from Edinburgh to Aberdeen to watch Hibs play with my uncle. I hope i am as active when i reach that age!
    Why were Hibs playing with your uncle?

ps I am sure your Gran was only 58 before the game, the fixture adds 20 years to any life ;o)

Quote Originally Posted by scorrie

ps I am sure your Gran was only 58 before the game, the fixture adds 20 years to any life ;o)
    PMSL

Default mum at 63

I personally think 63 far to old to be having a baby. I was 36 when I had my last and that was hard work.

krieve Guest

Quote Originally Posted by scorrie

you are right i should rephrase that my uncle took my granny to a hibs match in Aberdeen .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast