Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Life in the Past.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Scrabster
    Posts
    3,379

    Default Life in the Past.

    LIFE IN THE 1500'S

    The next time you are washing your hands and complain because
    the water temperature isn't just how you like it, think about how things
    used to be. Here are some facts about the1500s:


    Most people got married in June because they took their yearly
    bath in May, and still smelled pretty good by June. However, they were
    starting to smell, so brides carried a bouquet of flowers to hide the
    body odor.
    Hence the custom today of carrying a bouquet when getting married.

    Baths consisted of a big tub filled with hot water. The man of
    the house had the privilege of the nice clean water, then all the other
    sons and men, then the women and finally the children. Last of all the
    babies. By then the water was so dirty you could actually lose someone
    in it. Hence the saying, Don't throw the baby out with the Bath water..

    Houses had thatched roofs-thick straw-piled high, with no wood
    underneath. It was the only place for animals to get warm, so all the
    cats and other small animals (mice, bugs) lived in the roof When it
    rained it became slippery and sometimes the animals would slip and fall
    off the roof.
    Hence the saying . It's raining cats and dogs.

    There was nothing to stop things from falling into the house..

    This posed a real problem in the bedroom where bugs and other droppings
    could mess up your nice clean bed. Hence, a bed with big posts and a
    sheet hung over the top afforded some protection. That's how canopy beds
    came into existence.

    The floor was dirt. Only the wealthy had something other than
    dirt. Hence the saying, Dirt poor. The wealthy had slate floors that
    would get slippery in the winter when wet, so they spread thresh (straw)
    on floor to help keep their footing. As the winter wore on, they added
    more thresh until, when you opened the door, it would all start slipping
    outside. A piece of wood was placed in the entranceway. Hence the saying
    a thresh hold.

    (Getting quite an education, aren't you?)

    In those old days, they cooked in the kitchen with a big kettle
    that always hung over the fire. Every day they lit the fire and added
    things to the pot. They ate mostly vegetables and did not get much meat.
    They would eat the stew for dinner, leaving leftovers in the pot to get
    cold overnight and then start over the next day. Sometimes stew had food
    in it that had been there for quite a while. Hence the rhyme, Peas
    porridge hot, peas porridge cold, peas porridge in the pot nine days
    old..

    Sometimes they could obtain pork, which made them feel quite
    special. When visitors came over, they would hang up their bacon to show
    off. It was a sign of wealth that a man could, bring home the bacon.
    They would cut off a little to share with guests and would all sit
    around and chew the fat..

    Those with money had plates made of pewter. Food with high
    acid content caused some of the lead to leach onto the food, causing
    lead poisoning death. This happened most often with tomatoes, so for the
    next 400 years or so, tomatoes were considered poisonous.

    Bread was divided according to status. Workers got the burnt
    bottom of the loaf, the family got the middle, and guests got the top,
    or the upper crust.

    Lead cups were used to drink ale or whisky. The combination
    would sometimes knock the imbibers out for a couple of days. Someone
    walking along the road would take them for dead and prepare them for
    burial. They were laid out on the kitchen table for a couple of days and
    the family would gather around and eat and drink and wait and see if
    they would wake up.
    Hence the custom of holding a wake.

    England is old and small and the local folks started running
    out of places to bury people. So they would dig up coffins and would
    take the bones to a bone-house, and reuse the grave. When reopening
    these coffins, 1 out of 25 coffins were found to have scratch marks on
    the inside and they realized they had been burying people alive. So they
    would tie a string on the wrist of the corpse, lead it through the
    coffin and up through the ground and tie it to a bell. Someone would
    have to sit out in the graveyard all night (the graveyard shift.) to
    listen for the bell; thus, someone could be, saved by the bell or was
    considered a ...dead ringer..

    And that's the truth...Now, whoever said History was boring ! !
    www.tugmistress.co.uk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Ancient Caithness
    Posts
    2,089

    Default

    Very interesting and informative! Thank you Tugmistress

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    8,203

    Default

    Thanks Tuggs, I will use some of that when I'm guiding on the Tour Buses
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

  4. #4

    Default

    Great stuff Tugmistress! I only knew the bit with the string round the wrist. Thanks for sharing!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,003

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tugmistress

    England is old and small and the local folks started running
    out of places to bury people. So they would dig up coffins and would
    take the bones to a bone-house, and reuse the grave. When reopening
    these coffins, 1 out of 25 coffins were found to have scratch marks on
    the inside and they realized they had been burying people alive. So they
    would tie a string on the wrist of the corpse, lead it through the
    coffin and up through the ground and tie it to a bell. Someone would
    have to sit out in the graveyard all night (the graveyard shift.) to
    listen for the bell; thus, someone could be, saved by the bell or was
    considered a ...dead ringer..

    And that's the truth...Now, whoever said History was boring ! !
    Well now history certainly isn't boring and that certainly isn't true.

    Saved by the bell is a boxing term, I doubt anyone ever said it before the mid 20th century and a ringer was a horse substituted in a race to cheat the bookies, a dead ringer was an exact match for the horse it was replacing.

    I loved the raining cats and dogs bit, no, even in the 1500s dogs didn't live in thatched roofs.

    What you wrote is a subtle blend of fact and fiction with a lot of imagination thrown in.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Scrabster
    Posts
    3,379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fred
    Well now history certainly isn't boring and that certainly isn't true.

    Saved by the bell is a boxing term, I doubt anyone ever said it before the mid 20th century and a ringer was a horse substituted in a race to cheat the bookies, a dead ringer was an exact match for the horse it was replacing.

    I loved the raining cats and dogs bit, no, even in the 1500s dogs didn't live in thatched roofs.

    What you wrote is a subtle blend of fact and fiction with a lot of imagination thrown in.
    Hi Fred,
    the clue was in the smiley, yes fact and fiction, but still will keep people entertained talking about it
    www.tugmistress.co.uk

  7. #7

    Default

    Fact or fiction ~ what does it matter ~ it was a entertaining read.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    thurso
    Posts
    1,799

    Default Life in the Past

    Thank you tugmistress, i really enjoyed reading that

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    THURSO
    Posts
    204

    Default

    Yea thanks it was very good.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,003

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup
    Fact or fiction ~ what does it matter ~ it was a entertaining read.
    It doesn't matter so long as people know which one it is.

    Unfortunately the real version of history doesn't get forwarded to everyone on the internet by email which puts it at a bit of a disadvantage.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Castletown (N58deg 35.240/W003deg 22.839)
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Good read! I enjoyed that Tugmistress - very interesting

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Clyth
    Posts
    4,974

    Default

    Perhaps some of the sayings might not be quite accurate but they certainly known for accidentally burying people alive. Coffins have certainly been know to have had scratchmarks on the inside.

    Nice one Tugmistress, at least it kept us entertained for a while.
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Clyth
    Posts
    4,974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fred
    It doesn't matter so long as people know which one it is.

    Unfortunately the real version of history doesn't get forwarded to everyone on the internet by email which puts it at a bit of a disadvantage.
    But all we have ever had is the "Authorised Fiction".
    Last edited by JAWS; 05-May-06 at 16:25.
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    623

    Default

    absolutely brillant what a interesting read.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    382

    Cool Thanks

    Well done Tugmistress,very entertaining,you must be a very brainy Kid

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Cumbernauld
    Posts
    441

    Default

    Excellent I loved that!!
    NEWS-FLASH - Coudroy Pillows are making headlines!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    wick
    Posts
    249

    Default

    excellent read tuggy.
    Another historic gesture we still do today is....

    When we say cheers and clink our glasses together in the pub the reason we do it is because in the days tug prob talked about when the smugglers did a deal over booty in the pub or inn they would clink the glasses together and pour a little of each others drink into each others glasses to make sure that there fellow smuggler hadnt poisoned there drink. So the next time you say cheers without thinking about it, thank god for smugglers

  18. #18

    Default

    Pure nonsense and fabrication
    Guess who's back...

  19. #19
    krieve Guest

    Default

    Thanks Tugmistress i enjoyed reading that!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •