Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question

Default Question

Can any one tell me what type of pipit this is ?

It looks like a Meadow Pipit.

From the habitat (by the sea due to seaweed), you would think it would be a Rock pipit, but it does not have dark legs, it has sort of pink legs. Rock pipits are normally darker than this bird as well.So I would opt for Meadow.

Hopefully someone else will be to confirm or disagree
    Pipits are not the easiest to ID, well not for me.

Default Where?

Where did you take the picture Seabird? I can see that is was on the shoreline but were you near any sand dunes? If so I would concur that it is most likely the meadow version as they are quite happy breeding amongst the dunes.

Quote Originally Posted by LIZZ
    Where did you take the picture Seabird? I can see that is was on the shoreline but were you near any sand dunes? If so I would concur that it is most likely the meadow version as they are quite happy breeding amongst the dunes.
    Picture taken on shore line at John O'Groats.
    I thought Meadow Pipit or Tree Pipit, but i believe the tree Pipit has a thicker beak.
    One of the reasons i don't do a lot of bird watching is there are so many birds that look so alike and don't seem to fit the book pictures.
    And they don't stand still and say cheese when i'm trying to get their picture.
    They can be so inconsiderate

Default Birdwatching

know the feeling, the amount of times, i think im going to get a good picture of a bird, it decides to play shy and turn away from me

Default Stand still!

Infuriating isn't it when they take off leaving just a blurr as you click!
    6 bird books and can't find a likeness in any 1 of them if I have a picture I often Google search as long as I know the species.

With regards to the pipit, there is an area just along from Groats under Duncansby Head that would be an ideal nesting place.

I would like to agree with kas, it's a meadow pipit for me, though I wonder how many meadow pipits I've mistaken for rock pipits now .

The boldly streaked back and the lighter legs is a good giveaway over a rock pipit.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Here lies the first lesson in birdwatching. Even with a good picture the experts may still disagree on whether its a meadow pipit or a tree pipit or for all you know some rarity that just flew in from Siberia.
    There are so many slight variations in the make up of birds that identification may not be possible without other distinguishing characteristics.
    Habitat, flight, stance, feeding and the birds voice will often need to be used as a means of identification.
    I'm not an expert and couldnt tell from the picture supplied, and comparing it to my bird book illustration, whether its a meadow or a tree pipit or something on its holidays from Siberia.

Quote Originally Posted by gleeber
    Here lies the first lesson in birdwatching. Even with a good picture the experts may still disagree on whether its a meadow pipit or a tree pipit or for all you know some rarity that just flew in from Siberia.
    There are so many slight variations in the make up of birds that identification may not be possible without other distinguishing characteristics.
    Habitat, flight, stance, feeding and the birds voice will often need to be used as a means of identification.
    I'm not an expert and couldnt tell from the picture supplied, and comparing it to my bird book illustration, whether its a meadow or a tree pipit or something on its holidays from Siberia.
    Well said, this is so true. The one thing I will say though is that pipits are one of the hardest to ID and as you say habitat, song and habits are very important in ID. The other thing that is hard to tell from a photo is the birds size, unless you have a comparison in the photo.

But other birds are so much easier to ID, so dont let this put anyone off.

Default Wheatear

I went to Strathy Point looking for cetaceans, the only thing I found was this
    fantastic looking coloured bird.

Last edited by Seabird; 06-May-06 at 18:01.

Here lies the second lesson, unless you are an expert, (or claim to be!) does it really matter if it was a tree pipit or a meadow pipit? At the end of the day, most will have had a good day out looking at the birds and wildlife.

Quote Originally Posted by Seabird
    I went to Strathy Point looking for cetaceans, the only thing I found was this
    fantastic looking coloured bird.

a male northern wheatear....i think

great photo!

Fantastic photo of the male wheatear. It's one of my favourite birds. I look out for them every year. The earliest date in the year I ever saw one was 27th March.

A good way to remember and spot wheatears is the rhyme...

A small bird with a white rear
    must be a wheatear!!

Because when they fly the male and female have white rears, obviously...

Default Cetacean

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead
    Here lies the second lesson, unless you are an expert, (or claim to be!) does it really matter if it was a tree pipit or a meadow pipit? At the end of the day, most will have had a good day out looking at the birds and wildlife.
    Here, here, what better way to see the countryside and pass the day.

I saw a minke cetacean this morning at 8am whilst at Dunnet Head looking for puffin............no puffin could I find. So that more than made up for it.
    Thanks
    Catherine

Withdrawn to avoid identification matters from being lost lol
    Last edited by gleeber; 07-May-06 at 11:31.

As a rookie birdwatcher I've never considered the option that it may not matter whether I am able to correctly identify birds. As an adult convertee and still a rookie after 15 years, unless I can correctly identify a bird. it doesnt go into my tick book.
    Personally I think its an important part of birdwatching, whether expert or rookie, to be able to correctly identify birds.
    I have a feeling most ardent birdwatchers would frown on half of your lesson Rheghead, but I would be interested in what others have to say about it.

Also withdrawn as intention in response misleading. See later message.
    Last edited by catherine nicol; 07-May-06 at 19:02.
    Thanks
    Catherine

Quote Originally Posted by catherine nicol
    Here, here, what better way to see the countryside and pass the day.

I saw a minke cetacean this morning at 8am whilst at Dunnet Head looking for puffin............no puffin could I find. So that more than made up for it.
    Catherine i'm very interested in your Minke sighting it may be the first one seen this season along the mainland coast of Scotland, i was looking at Strathy on Sat but saw non.
    If you have not done so can you send a report to the seawatch foundation or Mary Leg of thr Ranger Service.
    And i would like some details if possible (colinb51@aol.com) Many Thanks

I feel slightly rebuked catherine Nicol so I will withdraw my post.
    However I thought it was very much in line with the process of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine nicol
    Can you open a new thread for this 'debate' so that Seabird's original 'Question on the ID of pipit' doesn't get lost here.

Thank you
    Why should Gleeber open a new debate, this is the birdwatching forum and in my opinion Gleeber made a justified "Twitcher type" remark. I was interested in the birdwatcher forum, as a no nothing birdwatcher, but I'll give it a miss now
    Last edited by golach; 07-May-06 at 15:25.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast