Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Harriers

Default Harriers

Can any one confirm that I was not seeing things out by Westerdale when I saw 1 of the above sitting on a fence post.Unfortunately we were in the car at the time and the bird took off before we could make a positive indentification.Too big to be a kestrel and wrong type of flight, tail markings were not the usual bars associated with a sparrow hawk.

Smile Harriers

Hi , There is nearly always a bird of prey sitting on a fence inthe Westerdale area!...we seem to think it is more likely to be a buzzard.

Whilst I canna confirm what you may or may not have seen Lizz I can confirm I have seen female hen harriers over in that direction. The female is very distinctive in flight with a white ring around their tails. Female harriers have brown plumage compared to the male whose plumage is very light grey with dark wing tips. First time I saw a male hen harrier I thought I had spotted a rare seagull.

As gleeber said its not possible to say what you saw, but it is very possible you did see a Hen Harrier. I have seen both male and female at various places round the county.

Go to http://www.rspb-images.com/ and put Hen harrier into the search. You will get some nice photos.

A good site for all bird photos.

I hope you see it again.

Default Hen Harriers

Thanks for the responses.. was definetly not a buzzard can recognise then from 200 yards and they are quite common around the county.Keep me posted

I saw a beautiful male Hen Harrier tonight, down the causeway mire area. It was stunning.

Default Got it

Watched "Spring Watch" tonight and the poliiceman who acts as a wild life protection officer confirmed what I had seem. Just for once me and hubby are quite agreed..it was a male hen harrier,
    Yippee we are delighted to have seen such a rare raptor in god's own county now will be scannning the sky for the "Wind Lords" the eagles next time we are up.

Smile Hen Harriers

Yes , Lizz, that was a very intereting piece of film about the hen harriers......now you can confirm your sighting at Westerdale.
    Yes gleeber...my partner thought he had seen a rare seagull too, out at Scotscalder, but now we know that it was a male hen harrier. I have yet to see one!

Default Male hen harrier

Saw one of these beautiful birds in Bower area this morning, have seen both male and female in area before, not sure on size of area they cover.