Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Help Problematic External HDD

Default Help Problematic External HDD

Hi, having some problems with a USB External HDD. What's happening is when I try transfer/delete a file it freezes and I get a msg saying its encountered a problem and needs to close down,it also wont let me use "safely remove device" tells me that it cant do it try again later.Any ideas? I have a lot of files on this drive that I don't want to lose so any help will be greatly appreciated.

I'd say theres a chance of the USB port or interface being the problem - try plugging it into a different USB port (yes it can sometimes make a difference) or possibly into another PC completely. If not it might be an idea to plug it through a different interface - this would require removal of the drive itself from the case and connnecting through either another external drive's interface, or something else built for the job.

See where changing USB ports or PCs takes you first.

Default external HDD

connected through a different usb port an it's still happening although I can delete files now without it freezing but its still happening when I transfer files but if I ignore the msg and dont click on send now it will transfer the file.

Edit - Just connected it to 1 of the front usb ports and its working fine so far.so does that mean that my rear usb ports are faulty?aws my mouse and keyboard(wireless)are connected through 1 of them and they are working fine and when I connected the HDD to that port the problem was still there.

Edit - Front port worked for all of 10 mins before the problem came back,so I guess that rules out the usb ports and I tried with a different usb cable still happening.
    Last edited by angusk2; 21-Jan-10 at 16:17.

Hmmm, any chance you can try it with another PC - that'll determine whether it's a problem with the PC or with the external HD.

It certainly is possible for individual USB ports to become unuseable, as well as selectively unuseable to certain items plugged into them, although in many cases it's a software problem. Wiping & reinstalling the system can sometimes resolve them but lets try another PC first!

Default External HDD

Just had a look at the error msg again,and when I click on "find out more about this error" it takes me to this page,which tells me its an xvid codec error????

http://wer.microsoft.com/responses/R...1-ad16dba50309

Edit - Tried the first option there install updates and still having the same troubles
    Last edited by angusk2; 21-Jan-10 at 19:39.

Strange - as a matter of course I'd go and sort that Xvid problem out just to see if it helps anyway! Ahh the joys of computing!

Default External HDD

Is it worth trying the second option this is what it tells me to do

Use the regsvr32 command to unregister xvid.dll
    If you don't know which program is causing this problem, you can remove xvid.dll from the list of installed codecs by unregistering it.
    Warning
    Disabling xvid.dll will cause any programs that depend on the codec to stop working or lose functionality.
    Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
    At the command prompt, type regsvr32 /u xvid.dll, and then press ENTER. xvid.dll is now unregistered.
    What should I do if the regsvr32 command fails or returns an error?
    If the steps to disable the xvid.dll did not work, you can try renaming the file to disable it.
    Click Start, and then click Search.
    Choose All files and folders, and then, in the All or part of the file name field, type xvid.dll.
    Click Search.
    When xvid.dll appears in the results, right-click the file, and then click Rename.
    Rename the file (for example, change the name to xvid.dll.old). Remember the file name so you can re-enable it later if you need to.

Yes go for it - it's only a video codec so shouldn't affect anything too serious.

Default External HDD

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinovich View Post
    Yes go for it - it's only a video codec so shouldn't affect anything too serious.
    that word just jumped out at me

LOL it should only affect if you're viewing files which use the Xvid codec, and you can always download and install the latest version (might be an idea anyway - may solve that particular problem).

Default external HDD

right done that and this is what came up

"xvid.dll was loaded,but the DllUnregisterServer entry point was not found.this file could not be registerd."

what could this possibly have to do with my External HDD freezing on me?I have Lazytown coming out to change the caddy on Saturday to see if that's the problem he suggested a motherboard bios update but that's too complicated for me I think.

Edit - HDD seems to be working properly,but i'll give it a few minutes and see

Edit - So far it hasn't frozen on me but if I try to safely remove hardware it tells me "the device 'generic volume'cannot be stopped right now.Try stopping the device again later."
    Last edited by angusk2; 21-Jan-10 at 20:27.

can i suggest that you give that drive a good going over with a spyware/anti-virus prog.

something like miscrosoft security essentials or go online and find 'housecall' and let that scan the drive.

i have seen this type of issue before esp with .dll files error.

it can be a half install of a trojan or a trojan in a jpg file.

if you have not got explorer [under tools/folder options/view] set to show 'known extentions', then it will not alert you to the fact that you p'haps have a file [or several] called ******.jpg.exe
    this is the infected 'picture' but it is not, its a trojan [hence the .exe at the end]

you might also want to change the setting to show hidden files & show system files, as these .jpg.exe often are flagged by their attribute markers as system & hidden too.

there is no reason for a .dll file to be on an external drive. if the system is looking for a .dll file on an external drive, then typically it has been infected, they should live under c:\windows\ folder.

HTH

dx
    Last edited by dx100uk; 21-Jan-10 at 22:55.
    Private Electronic Workshop in Wick - send us a PM
    **WE NOW DO REPAIRS AND CRACKED SCREENS ON MANY PHONES & TABLETS**
    PC virus/ransomware/data recovery/repair & service
    also Private marine & CB/Amateur radio repairs

Default External HDD

I already scanned it with malwarebytes and super antispyware and they both came up with nothing.I already have it set to show hidden files and I have it unchecked in "Hide extensions for known file types".

Its hasn't frozen since I done that fix earlier but it still wont let me safely remove hardware.

Edit - Skip that it just froze on me

Default External HDD

i just searched for that xvid.dll and found that I have 2. 1 is in C:WINDOWS\system 32 and the other is in C:i386 I don t have a clue if this is normal or not

Default External HDD

found this fix

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp...-explorer.html

did what he said in event viewer and noticed that first error today was the same as the person on their so installed k-lite codecs which I already done months ago but they replaced a whole lot of other codecs and no freezing so far fingers crossed but still cant use "safely remove hardware".

getting somewhere then...
    are you still getting the same error msg on removal
    i'm in the lab and i'll research it today.

dx

Default External HDD

HDD still seems to be working fine,Its even plugged into the rear port again but yeah "The device 'Generic volume' cannot be stopped right now. Try stopping the device again later." is still appearing.
    Last edited by angusk2; 22-Jan-10 at 10:32.

you most prob have photo software or adobe or WHY running inthe background

easiest way is to run something like this:

http://www.technize.com/how-to-eject...evices-safely/

instead of the safe removal icom

dx

Default External HDD

Tried the first 1(USBEject) no joy tells me "cannot eject the drive." and cant see anything in the second 1(procexp) that's related to the HDD,but at least it still isn't freezing any more.

thanks for all the advice think I'll just learn to live with having to shut the whole system down if I want to disconnect the HDD.