Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Summer Sunset

Default Summer Sunset

I have to say I have been so impressed by the quality of photos on here and I feel some of the photos are amazing and should be framed and sold. I have also found the old thurso photos touching, it makes the past real.

Anyway I was looking through my photos today and found these three summer sunset pictures that I would appreciate a critique on if you have time.

The first one, I think I have to much tree going on

Second one - well even more foliage

The jury is out on this one, but I think it captures the sunset the best

Would you crop the bottom of though?

What fab piccies.

Personally, I love the third shot just as it is.

Really nice i like the 1st one best.
    You don't have to be mad to know me but it helps.

I like that you attempted to frame the sunset with the shrubbery,the 3rd 1 would have been fabulous with a little more of the bush on the right side to give a double silvery effect,I presume the flash went off which highlighted the leaves.

Yip the 3rd one is good love the colours !

Thanks for your kind comments, they are appreciated. Hi Lizz yes the flash went of and it would have probably looked even better if I had moved a little bit further right. I will know for the next time we ever get a summer sunset again, they seem so far away

I recommend switching the flash off completely for this type of shot. I assume the bushes are not the main point of interest. You could also have tried shooting from in front of the bushes. The fence looks a more intersting object to frame the bottom of the shot with. (Again without the flash).
    Last edited by Deemac; 19-Jan-10 at 16:35.
    All the world's a stage and we are merely players . . . . .
    For more visit: http://www.studiograff-photo.co.uk

They are great photos, what a beautiful sunset. I too would recommend switching the flash of and using a tripod would help too just in future.
    ~Sarah~
    Owner of 2 greyhounds, 1 Lurcher puppy, 2 cats, 3 rabbits, 3 guinea pig's and a hamster!

munron,

Great colours in the sky, I agree with Deemac about the flash and the foreground, but still some dramatic photographs.

thanks to all for advice, I just need to wait now for summer, similar sunset and then wedge my backside past the bushes and turn of my flash. I will just have to be patient

Munron, I'm almost certain we took the same picture of the same sky. Here is my version. (notice the shadows on the clouds!)

All the world's a stage and we are merely players . . . . .
    For more visit: http://www.studiograff-photo.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Deemac View Post
    Munron, I'm almost certain we took the same picture of the same sky. Here is my version. (notice the shadows on the clouds!):eek
    That is fantastic photo Deemac, it feels like they sky is rolling over you. I checked and mine was taken on 11/09/09 so I might have used a bit of poetic license when I said summer I was going on where I took it from

Edit to add, in saying that I am not sure if the time etc is set right on my camera so would need to check that to be definate
    Last edited by munron; 19-Jan-10 at 20:44. Reason: Added a bit