Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: headstone pictures

Question headstone pictures

I'm new to this forum and wondered if it would be possible for someone to help me by taking some pictures. My paternal g-grandfather was John Malcolm who died 11 Jan 1931 in Wick. He had two wives: Isabella (Bain) Malcolm, d: 24 Apr 1881 and Helen Miller (Weir) Malcolm, d: 16 Jun 1941, also in Wick.

My maternal g-grandfather was James Laird Knight who died 3 Feb 1922 in South Ronaldsay. He also had two wives: June (Banks) Knight and Elizabeth (McBeath) Knight. I have not been successful finding death records for them but have to believe that they also died in South Ronaldsay.

I'm hoping someone can find where they were buried and take pictures of the headstones for me.

Researching the family tree is something my mother started and after she passed away I've gotten involved. It is fascinating. Of course, it is now too late to ask a lot of questions of either my mother or my grandparents.

thanks
    Cherie

Default Headstones

Hi Cherie,

It would be very difficult to find the Graves without having the Lair number . However, because the deaths were not too long ago, people who knew the family could still be around and just perhaps might know where they were buried. In that case I'm sure someone would be kind enough to take a picture for you.
    Can you give more details, an address for example, or the names of siblings.

I agree, we should have asked more questions when we had our mothers around. But you know, I try to talk to my children and grandchildren and it seems no one is listening, so I'm writing it all down.

Good luck
    Trinkie

Quote Originally Posted by ccbarnes View Post
    I'm new to this forum and wondered if it would be possible for someone to help me by taking some pictures. My paternal g-grandfather was John Malcolm who died 11 Jan 1931 in Wick. He had two wives: Isabella (Bain) Malcolm, d: 24 Apr 1881 and Helen Miller (Weir) Malcolm, d: 16 Jun 1941, also in Wick.

My maternal g-grandfather was James Laird Knight who died 3 Feb 1922 in South Ronaldsay. He also had two wives: June (Banks) Knight and Elizabeth (McBeath) Knight. I have not been successful finding death records for them but have to believe that they also died in South Ronaldsay.

I'm hoping someone can find where they were buried and take pictures of the headstones for me.

Researching the family tree is something my mother started and after she passed away I've gotten involved. It is fascinating. Of course, it is now too late to ask a lot of questions of either my mother or my grandparents.

thanks
    Cherie
    North Highland Archive have lists of lairs, names and numbers, they would be able to pinpoint graves, once you have that info I'd be happy to photograph the headstones. You can contact them at

http://north.highlandarchive@highland.gov.uk

I found a death for Jane {banks}Knight age 26 1867 South Ronaldsay and Elizabeth Knight age 45 1897 Stromness.

Default Jane Knight

1867- PG.14 #42 --Jane (BANKS) Knight--[Burray/age 26] --
    Married to James L. KNIGHT --
    parents: John BANKS/Esther PARK --
    Informant: Magnus KNIGHT, Nephew.

From www.southronaldsay.net

Mamie

Default Headstones

Hi Cherie,
    Your Paternal g grand-mother, Helen Malcolm is the proprietor of Section I, lairs 951 & 952 in Wick New Cemetery.
    Lair 951 contains Margaret Malcolm (6/9/1968) and Lily Malcolm (24/1/1872).
    Lair 952 contains John Malcolm (14/1/1931), Helen M. Malcolm (19/6/1941) and Richard M J Douglas (29/6/1957)
    There is no headstone on either lair.

Hope this helps.
    Billy

Default Gravestone Photographic Resource

Quote Originally Posted by ccbarnes View Post

thanks
    Cherie
    Have a look at the Gravestone Photographic Resource http://www.gravestonephotos.com/
    Both the old and new municipal cemetries are well documented.

John Harper

Default thanks

thanks so much to everyone for the helpful information. It's too bad there are no headstones. I'll have to see if I can remedy that

Cherie

Thy will be done. Erected by Js L KNIGHT in memory of his beloved father JAMES KNIGHT who died 10th May 1869 aged 58 years.

This looks like the memorial your gg grandfather. It is in Burray in Orkney. My search didn't come up with any others

Rosemary

Just found on GROS, James married Jane Banks in 1862 and in 1869 Elizabeth McBeath

Rosemary