Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Bonanza for drug firms'

Default 'Bonanza for drug firms'

Can you believe 132 million doses of swine flu vaccine were ordered and due to the colossal miscalculation, millions of doses are unwanted? Britain is giving away £1billion of swine flu vaccine. Excess swine flu vaccine may be given or sold to the third world.
    Last edited by Stavro; 14-Jan-10 at 22:34.

i was offered it for my two kiddies under 5.
    i refused.
    i weighed up the risks and decided i dont think they know enough about it yet to allow them to inject my kids with it!
    personal choice but maybe others felt the same.......
    Everyone is a genius,
    but if you judge a fish
    on its ability to climb a tree,
    it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.....

Default swine flu

hence the HUGE marketing campaign urging us all to take the Swine Flu vaccine.... they had stock piled it ages ago for a disease epidemic that never took off. So what better way to get through all your unwanted medicine than to create even more hype and misinformation about Swine Flu and panic people into taking the vaccine.........

The drugs companies hold the strings on everything from drugs to food and their influence is gaining all the time.......

K

Quote Originally Posted by onecalledk View Post
    hence the HUGE marketing campaign urging us all to take the Swine Flu vaccine.... they had stock piled it ages ago for a disease epidemic that never took off. So what better way to get through all your unwanted medicine than to create even more hype and misinformation about Swine Flu and panic people into taking the vaccine.........

The drugs companies hold the strings on everything from drugs to food and their influence is gaining all the time.......

K
    Staggering scenario!

Why wouldn't you take it? It's tested the same as the seasonal flu vaccine, and even if the drugs companies held the strings on everything, doesn't mean that the vaccines are dangerous.

On the other hand if they hadn't got as much and the virus had mutated and people were keeling over left right and centre, the hang em brigade would be out no doubt. Some times it's right to be over cautious as in this case, that's my opinion. (non professional ).

Quote Originally Posted by Stavro View Post
    Can you believe £132 million doses of swine flu vaccine were ordered and due to the colossal miscalculation, millions of doses are unwanted. Britain is giving away £1billion of swine flu vaccine. Excess swine flu vaccine may be given or sold to the third world.
    So £132 Million were ordered and now £1 Billion is going to be given away. That does not compute at all.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

And i think the millions unused doses were meant for people who now don't want it, if you're so outraged by this then go get the vaccine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    So £132 Million were ordered and now £1 Billion is going to be given away. That does not compute at all.

Aye but it sounds good. or is that bad. ??

My mistake - the original post should read 132 million doses, not £132 million - I have edited it now.

Quote Originally Posted by redeyedtreefrog View Post
    Why wouldn't you take it? It's tested the same as the seasonal flu vaccine, and even if the drugs companies held the strings on everything, doesn't mean that the vaccines are dangerous.
    Your points were well aired on another thread some weeks ago.

Whether people take the vaccine or not is up to them, but for whatever reason the pharmaceutical companies have made another fortune on something which might work, might not, might be dangerous, might not be, but certainly it was not thoroughly tested.

My mistake - the original post should read 132 million doses, not £132 million - I have edited it now.
    Does that mean each dose cost £7.57 each ??

Still does not compute because a single dose of Swine Flue Vaccine costs £7, then 132 million Doses would cost £924 Million. This is less than the £1 Billon give away that you claim.

Even George Brown cant give away more than he ordered.

Also why would there be 132 million doses ordered when there are only 60 million people in the UK.

Definately something wrong there.
    Last edited by Kodiak; 14-Jan-10 at 20:13.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

Quote Originally Posted by tonkatojo View Post
    Does that mean each dose cost £7.57 each ??
    A little over £7 each one, yes, and the Daily Mail science reporter, Fiona MacRae, rounded the cost up to £1 billion.

(Source: Scottish Daily Mail, 9 January, 2010, page 2.)

Yes its a waste indeed.

I refused the swine flu vaccine in the end, refused it for my son and my OH refused it too. We have our reasons.
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

A little over £7 each one, yes, and the Daily Mail science reporter, Fiona MacRae, rounded the cost up to £1 billion.

132 million doses ordered minus how many used = what ??

Edit section -

Also why would there be 132 million doses ordered when there are only 60 million people in the UK.

Definately something wrong there.
    Just noticed your edit. This was supposed to be administered in 2 doses was it not?

66,000,000 x 2 = 132,000,000

Quote Originally Posted by ShelleyBain View Post
    Yes its a waste indeed.

I refused the swine flu vaccine in the end, refused it for my son and my OH refused it too. We have our reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by annemarie482 View Post
    i was offered it for my two kiddies under 5.
    i refused.
    i weighed up the risks and decided i dont think they know enough about it yet to allow them to inject my kids with it!
    personal choice but maybe others felt the same.......
    Yes, we weighed up the pros and cons and refused it, too.

and I'm guessing they're not giving away all of their vaccine stockpile, so the 1bn still doesnt quite make it.

Even if it cost £1 Billion for all the swine flu vaccine how is it possible to give away £1 Billion worth of swine flu away.

No majority of swine flu vaccine were just a single dose. That is what I had and everyone I know only had one dose as well.

Originally it was thought that two doses given 21 days apart would be required for full efficacy. Subsequent testing has allowed the UK programme to consist of just a single dose for most people, with a two-dose schedule for children under the age of 10 years and immunocompromised adults.

As of 3 December 2009, 11.2 million doses of Pandemrix have been delivered to health services in the UK, where the vaccine forms the bulk of the governments mass vaccination programme. This is no where near the 132 million you claim.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandemrix

So your figures still do not compute.

Mind you I would never ever trust anything that the Daily Mail prints.
    Last edited by Kodiak; 14-Jan-10 at 20:31.

Edgar Allen Poe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast