Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Caithness Raptors

Default Caithness Raptors

Hi I wonder if anyone can supply a definitive list of all the birds of prey to be seen in Caithness and Sutherland.

I've identified all the ones you see frequently but on occasion I have seen birds in the distance that I don't immediately recognise when I haven’t had binoculars handy.

I know there are web sites but have found that what people actually see doesn’t necessarily correspond.

Thanks

Would be a problem to supply a definitive list as birds will turn up from time to time in the most unlikely places.
    Like yourself there has been the odd occasion when I have seen birds ,either silhouetted against the sun or too far away to make a positive identification.
    Have seen all the following which I trust may be of help to you.
    Buzzard,Hen Harrier,Merlin,Peregrine,SparrowHawk,Shrike(Which I don't think is a resident,)and I know that there hasve been a few sightings of Sea Eagles and Golden Eagles that some times stray into the county and over the border to the south there are Ospreys and Kites.
    I presume that you are meaning raptors and not such other predatory birds such as Skuas and the like.
    Hopefully there are others who can be more specific than myself.

Thanks for that, I've seen all the above except for Shrike and Golden Eagle (in Caithness) I had a great time watching a nest on Mull last spring.

I saw a large bird around about Golspie heading home from Inverness a few weeks ago that I thought might have been a juvinile White Tailed Sea Eagle. Does anyone know of any in that area?

Here's a list of all the Raptors etc that breed or have bred in Caithness and are regular or occasional visitors. There may well be others that are occasional or have occurred on passage.

Sea Eagle
    Golden Eagle - breeder
    Osprey - breeder
    Buzzard - breeder
    Red Kite
    Black Kite
    Peregrine - breeder
    Gyr falcon
    Kestrel - breeder
    Merlin - breeder
    Hobby
    Goshawk - breeder
    Sparrowhawk - breeder
    Hen Harrier - breeder
    Marsh Harrier - breeder
    Barn Owl - breeder
    Short-eared Owl - breeder
    Long-eared Owl - breeder
    Tawny Owl - breeder
    Snowy Owl
    Eagle Owl
    Red-backed Shrike - Visitor, occasional breeder
    Great Grey Shrike.

nirofo.

Quote Originally Posted by nirofo View Post
    Here's a list of all the Raptors etc that breed or have bred in Caithness and are regular or occasional visitors. There may well be others that are occasional or have occurred on passage.

Sea Eagle
    Golden Eagle - breeder
    Osprey - breeder
    Buzzard - breeder
    Red Kite
    Black Kite
    Peregrine - breeder
    Gyr falcon
    Kestrel - breeder
    Merlin - breeder
    Hobby
    Goshawk - breeder
    Sparrowhawk - breeder
    Hen Harrier - breeder
    Marsh Harrier - breeder
    Barn Owl - breeder
    Short-eared Owl - breeder
    Long-eared Owl - breeder
    Tawny Owl - breeder
    Snowy Owl
    Eagle Owl
    Red-backed Shrike - Visitor, occasional breeder
    Great Grey Shrike.

nirofo.
    Brilliant, thanks for that-I've a way to go then!