Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Council Flat Tv Signals

Default Council Flat Tv Signals

I'm not sure if anyone can help but here it goes....

Recently I moved into a council flat in the Mount Vernon area of Thurso. I also bought a new television for this flat and when I plugged it in and scanned for the channels I only got 4 and even they were grainy and terrible.

I am wondering if the flats have the capabilities of viewing digital tv or not? Would buying a freeview box work? My television says it has digital tv built in but it finds no signal when scanning!

Any help or recommendations would be appreciated!

Thanks

I've been staying in a Mount Vernon flat over the past couple months, only TV with a signal is the one in the living room as it's on sky. Normal telly is grainy there. I'm under the impression that the flats there have communal sky dishes, so maybe getting the sky freesat might help - maybe worth checking with sky and maybe a neighbour to see if they know if your block has a dish.
    "People may say what they wish, but we are actually under no compulsion to listen." LJ, and I do so wholeheartedly agree!

I also have this problem - let me know if you get anywhere with this?

Thanks

Will do pink25

(Y)

I used to live in the flats, TV worked fine with a freeview box so that should help.

Default aerial

check if you have a new style digital aerial or an old anaolgue one because you wont find any digital channels with an analogue aerial!

Quote Originally Posted by bhoy View Post
    check if you have a new style digital aerial or an old anaolgue one because you wont find any digital channels with an analogue aerial!
    Not quite correct this. The Ariel I have is 20 Years old and I can pick up all Digital stations with my built in Freeview Tuner on my LG TV. Great clear Picture as well.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

The reception is crap in the flats, by a booster. Should get you a few more channels but probably not them all
    STAY IN TUNE

Quote Originally Posted by M R View Post
    The reception is crap in the flats, by a booster. Should get you a few more channels but probably not them all
    It's been determined that Olin and I are in different blocks (though not for long as I'm moving again)... but did you actually do this and it worked okay?

I tried it in this different block, portable tv in one of the bedrooms. Thought I wouldn't go for the cheapest, wish I had now... nada! Might come in handy when I move away though lol.
    "People may say what they wish, but we are actually under no compulsion to listen." LJ, and I do so wholeheartedly agree!

It gave us 12 more channels and cleaned up the existing ones. The reception in the bedroom is unwatchable......and wont have freeview at all.
    STAY IN TUNE

The systems installed are not digital ready for Freeview but they are digital ready for Satellite. Cables are installed in a distribution system and are only setup for the livingroom as far as i know...

Hope this helps.

THanks to everyone who has posted!

I managed to get it fixed with a little help from my friend.

It turns out I was trying to tune it using "cable" as the source which is the wrong method. I should have and now use "air" as the source. As in it is now picking up the signals broadcast through the air to my aerial.

Silly but sorted!

Thanks

Would still check that your getting all the channels, compare them with someone else in a better area. Boosters are expensive and can only help if your a few channels short..
    STAY IN TUNE

Booster's only help to increase the signal but it also increases the noise which is being carried too. So basically if you get a blocky picture now then put a booster on and you will get the same effect.. blocky picture.

Obviously the booster increases the signal, hence the word boost.

Dont suffer from a blocky picture thankfully.

Like i say, check your channel list against someone you know that gets all the channels....

If your not getting them all, i would either borrow and test a booster or buy one.
    STAY IN TUNE