Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Tsunami

Question Tsunami

I was just reading the news on AOL and it said, A magnitude-8.1 earthquake has struck near the south pacific nation of tonga-triggering tsunami warnings for new zeland and fiji. Has anyone heard anything about this on the evening news tonight?

Tonga, Fiji and New Zealand are braced for tsunami damage after the earthquake.
    Not all chillies are hot but do not be deceived

The alerts were issued but it seems they have now been cancelled. The Earthquake information seems to be correct but it looks like it didn't trigger a Tsunami.
    Info from CNN at 1900 hrs.
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

Quote Originally Posted by JAWS
    The alerts were issued but it seems they have now been cancelled. The Earthquake information seems to be correct but it looks like it didn't trigger a Tsunami.
    Info from CNN at 1900 hrs.
    Thanks for that Jaws, i missed the evening news tonight and was curious.
    Not all chillies are hot but do not be deceived

Quote Originally Posted by Chillie
    Thanks for that Jaws, i missed the evening news tonight and was curious.
    I didn't know about it at all until I saw your thread so at least you were better informed than me.
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

When I lived in Hawaii in 1988, there was a tsunami alert. All the lower-lying areas of town (Hilo) were evacuated, and we had a film crew on our upstairs balcony waiting for the event. When the wave arrived it was barely detectable. Unfortunately just knowing a big earthquake has occurred doesn't tell you if it has generated a tsunami. There have been a few more such events since, and people had started to get very complacent and ignore the sirens. However after the events a year and a half ago in Asia I am sure complacency has gone.