Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stopped in the street

Default Stopped in the street

I was stopped on the Wick high street yesterday by 5 people from Thurso, they had been down for some shopping at the retail park and wanted to know where they good get a good bar lunch, its great to see how the new stores can help other businesses in the town as there has been so many negative comments over the last few months on there impact on the local traders.

This is exactly the knock on effect that is going to happen. Excellent.

Cool

Where did you send them? Spoons?

Now, now 98elite, it's a sunny Bank Holiday Weekend. And what disgraceful behaviour do you partake in?

You set off in a determined effort to upset the Doom and Gloom Mongers who wish to convince everybody that the new stores are the end of civilisation as we know it.

You must cease spreading news of the fact that the new shops are encouraging people to come to Wick.
    It really does not fit in with the image some people wish to portray!
    Good grief, before you know it there will be rumours that people from outwith the County are coming here to shop when everybody knows that the sight of the new stores will make them flee in horror!
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

Quote Originally Posted by 98elite
    I was stopped on the Wick high street yesterday by 5 people from Thurso, they had been down for some shopping at the retail park and wanted to know where they good get a good bar lunch, its great to see how the new stores can help other businesses in the town as there has been so many negative comments over the last few months on there impact on the local traders.
    So many negative comments? Come on now, every poll there has been has shown around about 90% in favour of the new stores. The bulk of replies to any threads have shown a very similar ratio. The minority are simply expressing their opinions and concerns.

There are very few subjects that ever elicit a 100% response one way or the other and surely it is more interesting to hear opinions from both sides. However it seems that people not in favour are labelled doom and gloom merchants.

It is interesting that 5 people from Thurso looking for a bar lunch in Wick is taken as evidence that it is proving the knock on effect. The bar must have employed extra staff to carry the swollen coffers to the night safe ;o)

The new shops will do very well in the early stages, Tescos will be like the proverbial Hill Market when they open but things will settle down in time and we will see the true effect, long term, on the town and county.

ps What if Tescos are selling meals? How many people would opt for a cheap, Tesco lunch? After all, parking in the town might be impossible and many people loathe Shanks' Pony

Did it occur to you there is no-where to eat at the retail parK?
    You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!

Quote Originally Posted by scorrie
    ps What if Tescos are selling meals? How many people would opt for a cheap, Tesco lunch? After all, parking in the town might be impossible and many people loathe Shanks' Pony
    They do. Let's hope the Wick store will do the Mega breakfast.

A KFC wouldn't go amiss at the retail park....

Quote Originally Posted by 2little2late
    They do. Let's hope the Wick store will do the Mega breakfast.
    So how will that create the knock-on effect to help the town centre?

Jaws Thanks for the post ...there does seem a nucleus of folks on the Org who cannot see the county and especially Wick advance in any way. They seem to enjoy the fact that a once busy town was about on its knees.The problem I have is that I am old enough to remember it as a busy town ..I dont think it was ever "nice" or beautiful but it did work (I lived too near the HIB factory at the harbour to have any romantic notions about Wick) Now with the industries near enough all gone like so many other depressed ares it has turned to retail out lets to see if it could stop the decline The immediate effect is reduce the level of income being drained out of Caithness to Inverness ..the employees at the shops are local ..the people who own the eateries where you have your lunch are local ..
    The down side is that morbid sense of gloom around the place has it seems has been partially lifted and that does not seem to have pleased everyone
    ps For thouse that do not know HIB= Herring industry board and they had a herring reduction plant at Wick harbour .A long time after it closed it still stunk on a warm day

This benefits the traders of Thurso how?

Quote Originally Posted by fred
    It might get them to wake up and smell the coffee! In todays world people dont want to go shopping only to find its Thursday 1/2 day closing or closed for lunch because that is what they've always done. People will have more choice to shop where ever they want at the times that suit them!
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum.

Quote Originally Posted by footie chick
    It might get them to wake up and smell the coffee! In todays world people dont want to go shopping only to find its Thursday 1/2 day closing or closed for lunch because that is what they've always done. People will have more choice to shop where ever they want at the times that suit them!
    Well said.

The pubs in Thurso which do bar meals close for lunch now?

Quote Originally Posted by fred
    Erm, who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by pultneytooner
    Erm, who cares?
    The traders in Thurso.

I was in Thurso last Thursday and found most of the shops closed at lunch-time. Wick is just as bad on a Wednesday.

I wnt to the Health Food Shop a week last Saturday, at 3 O'clock. The sign said they were open between 2-4 but they were closed!! I love going to that shop but always have a problem catching it open, and they don't take switch.
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

the new shops need a bank machine, toilets and a cafe. The tea caravan must be making a roaring trade.

So which place did ye send them for some food? Im still curious

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast