Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: "operation snowdrop"

Default "operation snowdrop"

Latitude = 58.5903, Longitude = -3.5324
    some times in life its not what you know its who you know

Thumbs up

Fantastic find, brilliant.

I'd heard a lot about this. Good to see some foootage about it.

Wow an amazing bit of footage-thanks for sharing!x
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

Thumbs up

Fantastic Coppertop1958!! Thank you so much.

Thanks a lot for that, coppertop. I was aged 4, living with my aunt and uncle near Wick and my uncle was driving snowploughs.

I'm not sure my children really believe what happened so I'll email them the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Thanks a lot for that, coppertop. I was aged 4, living with my aunt and uncle near Wick and my uncle was driving snowploughs.

I'm not sure my children really believe what happened so I'll email them the link.
    I remember going with my father to Wick aerodrome to watch the helicopters working.
    For years afterwards I had a momento of the occasion: part of the tail rotor we saw getting shattered off a chopper that got blown against the hanger as it tried to take off!

Another one here:

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=38884

Cracking find Coppertop, I didn't know the site existed.

Default Snowdrop

Thank you for that - I remember it well.

Trinkie

Default Snowdrop

http://www.caithness.org/earlypictur...ry=11&image=12

There may be more pics here on the org.

Trinkie

That was a really interesting video. I had no idea that had happened, does anyone know where more info is available?
    (\__/)
    ( o.O) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
    (")_(") your signature, to help him gain World Domination.

What a great clip. The first helicopter I ever saw was at that time and I always remember my Dad who was one of the local doctors was in it! He'd been picked up from the Dunbar to visit a patient.

Yes, that was the biggest excitement that Caithness had for many years.... I did hear that the people who ordered supplies, both food and hay bales, were billed later by the Ministry of 'Something or Other'. I suppose people thought that it was a free drop but not so. Mind you I don't know if anyone ever paid....We are Scots!
    I have to admit that there was a 'lot of snow'. I remember the drifts were over 10 feet in height. We had to cut snow blocks to get out of our house in Swiney. Ahhhhhhhh, them were the days....

Quote Originally Posted by Errogie View Post
    What a great clip. The first helicopter I ever saw was at that time and I always remember my Dad who was one of the local doctors was in it! He'd been picked up from the Dunbar to visit a patient.
    i think i have seen a photo of that ....if its the same one if i have time i have a wee look for it

coppertop

Default photo

Quote Originally Posted by sandyr1 View Post
    Yes, that was the biggest excitement that Caithness had for many years.... I did hear that the people who ordered supplies, both food and hay bales, were billed later by the Ministry of 'Something or Other'. I suppose people thought that it was a free drop but not so. Mind you I don't know if anyone ever paid....We are Scots!
    Also heard that some farmers exaggerated their requirements because they thought it would be free: and then got a massive shock at the size of the bills!

Default Things just aren't the same any more!

Considering the recent weather and the state of the roads I thought it prudent not to drive.
    The fridge is looking a little bare and coming up to the weekend I thought it'd be wise to be prepared.

I called the MoD I explained that the pavements weren't safe and I could injure myself tottering home from the pub, I asked if they wouldn't mind flying in some beverages for me.

You should have heard the language! And from a man at the Ministry!

Really, what's the country coming to.

Remember it as if it was yesterday. It started at approx. 1-00pm on the Friday. Unbelievable!!

I remember as a wean being picked up in the kitchen so I could see out of the window, as the helicopter dropped bales in one of our fields. My mother claimed I imagined that, as I was only 20 months old at the time, but I described the colour and style of the helicopter (a dark red, the Westland one in that video), and she remembered it the same. It may not be my earliest memory, but it is definitely the earliest specific event I remember.