Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Dog trainers

Default Dog trainers

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me of any dog trainers in the thurso/outlaying areas apart from the girl in Bower who is booked up. Our 9 month old lab shephard cross is starting to think she rules the roost and we need to get her trained asap

what do you need help with?
    “A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about.”

Quote Originally Posted by buggyracer View Post
    what do you need help with?

We need help with getting her to walk without pulling us all over the shop, and to stop her jumping up and down on people when they come in to the house or when we pass people in the street. (She's just excited and we know she wouldnt harm a fly, but other people don't know that and i get quite embarrassed)
    We have tried stopping when she pulls until she stops, but then we never get anywhere as she is constantly pulling the minute we start to walk again. we have tried half choke chains but this doesnt help and she ends up choking herself.
    there are a few other things but those are the big issues.

I want to get her trained up when she is still young and can learn.

My dog is exactly the same. She never jumps on me, but she does it to others. She's a lot better on the lead now. I used the exact same stop/start method. The jumping is annoying though.

On an unrelated note, where did you get your dog? My dog is a Lab X Collie and is now 9months old also. I know there was a Lab X German Shepherd in at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by retrodj View Post
    We need help with getting her to walk without pulling us all over the shop, and to stop her jumping up and down on people when they come in to the house or when we pass people in the street. (She's just excited and we know she wouldnt harm a fly, but other people don't know that and i get quite embarrassed)
    We have tried stopping when she pulls until she stops, but then we never get anywhere as she is constantly pulling the minute we start to walk again. we have tried half choke chains but this doesnt help and she ends up choking herself.
    there are a few other things but those are the big issues.

I want to get her trained up when she is still young and can learn.
    both labs and german shepherd's are very trainable, so in theory your dog should also be, and the problems you mention are easliy sorted out.
    “A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jeid View Post
    My dog is exactly the same. She never jumps on me, but she does it to others. She's a lot better on the lead now. I used the exact same stop/start method. The jumping is annoying though.

On an unrelated note, where did you get your dog? My dog is a Lab X Collie and is now 9months old also. I know there was a Lab X German Shepherd in at the same time.
    Got her from the sspca around july.
    Last edited by retrodj; 05-Jan-10 at 14:23. Reason: change

suprised to hear that Bower training is full up, I go on a Sunday and its not too busy but I'm not sure on her numbers

for pulling on the lead, get a gentle leader or a halti collar, will give you more control instantly

Got her from the sspca around july.
    Mesa will be from the same bunch then, I got her at the start of July.

Default Training

Hi
    The gentle leader or halti will definitely help with the pulling. It has been very successful for me, definitely gives you more control.
    As for training, I've heard that Dave Ashcroft is very good and will definitely be familiar with how to handle shepherds.
    Hope this is useful.

Red face Have you tried Ashmountk9training?

Have you tried Ashmount Dog Training?? Here is the link to his site:

http://www.ashmontk9training.co.uk/

he is really good.

(and doesnot descriminate against crossbreeds)

Yip I went to Dave Ashcroft, earlier in the year he was very helpfull and gave me good advice.

I'd opt for Dave at Ashmont as well. He kindly showed me his CV when I went to ask about our ageing Jack Russell cross and a toilet problem. (I'm a fussy git) It reads like a book, the man has some outstanding national qualifications as a trainer and handler. As for the old dog - well problem solved, and we have a happy home again, no problem since.
    Mad1man

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me of any dog trainers in the thurso/outlaying areas apart from the girl in Bower who is booked up. Our 9 month old lab shephard cross is starting to think she rules the roost and we need to get her trained asap

Well we had Dave from Ashmount over to our house yesterday. I am amazed by how good this guy is. (After all he has been working with dogs for the best part of 30 years) The transformation on our dog was amazing. He left us with some good training techniques to try over the next 2 weeks. I can't thank him enough and i would highly recommend him to anyone with troublesome dogs.

That's great news!