Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Gareth Thomas,Gay!!, WHAT?

Default Gareth Thomas,Gay!!, WHAT?

I woke this morning to the revelations on the news that Wales and British Lions rugby star Gareth Thomas, (more affectionately known in rugby circles as Alfie) is gay.
    Paul Ackford: Gareth Thomas need not fear reaction to his 'gay' revelation

I personally am not homophobic or do I have an issue with same sex relationships, but having met the guy a few times and my son has played with and against him on a number of occasions, I would have been less surprised if the news read "The Pope Has Become a Jehovah's Witness".

I text my son in the first instance and he informed me that he had known this for over two years.

The point to this post is simple, have I lost touch with the world since moving North, or has this "coming out" been a surprise to anyone else?
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Get a Grip. It makes no difference if he is Gay. All that matters is his Skill and what he is like as a Person.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Milkins View Post
    Paul Ackford: Gareth Thomas need not fear reaction to his 'gay' revelation

The point to this post is simple, have I lost touch with the world since moving North, or has this "coming out" been a surprise to anyone else?
    No, I do not think you have lost touch!

Default Grip of What

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    Get a Grip. It makes no difference if he is Gay. All that matters is his Skill and what he is like as a Person.
    I agree, it matters not to me because I do respect his skill as a player, and personality, (although he could be a bit of a tinder box at times), but to a proud Welsh rugby enthusiast, to learn (out of the blue) that the most capped Welsh rugby international is gay is a bit to take in.

I personally am not homophobic or do I have an issue with same sex relationships, but having met the guy a few times and my son has played with and against him on a number of occasions, I would have been less surprised if the news read "The Pope Has Become a Jehovah's Witness".
    You have a stereotype for someone who is gay?

Get a life!

Default Gareth Thomas

My reaction on reading this was -so what !. He is a rugby player and his sexuality has no impact upon his ability to play rugby at the top level. Also surely his sexual preferences are his business and not ours. Like everyone in this world if you are lucky enough to find someone to love then be happy, that's all that matters.
    mo

Default Sterotype

Quote Originally Posted by hunter View Post
    You have a stereotype for someone who is gay?

Get a life!
    I would not say that I have a stereotype for someone that's gay, but I thought I would have been able to pick up on the fact of someones sexual preference.

Perhaps your right, I may need to get a life, because this one went right over my head.

Also be aware that the point of this post was not to ridicule the man, but to inspire perhaps a positive debate.
    I am sure that his brave coming out in such a macho sport (while still playing professional rugby for Cardiff Blues) will do nothing but good for anyone that may be struggling with there sexuality and would be hesitant to put it in the public domain.

I would not say that I have a stereotype for someone that's gay, but I thought I would have been able to pick up on the fact of someones sexual preference.

Perhaps your right, I may need to get a life, because this one went right over my head.

Also be aware that the point of this post was not to ridicule the man, but to inspire perhaps a positive debate.
    I am sure that his brave coming out in such a macho sport (while still playing professional rugby for Cardiff Blues) will do nothing but good for anyone that may be struggling with there sexuality and would be hesitant to put it in the public domain.

Exactly what I was thinking Kevin.

Sorry, I can't help but think, is he the only gay in the village?

Default Village Life

Quote Originally Posted by joxville View Post
    Sorry, I can't help but think, is he the only gay in the village?
    He seems to be the only one that is putting his hand up just now, but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    Have to agree....good luck to him.

Sometimes people are very good at hiding it!
    Electronics, Sales, Spares & Repairs * TV * AUDIO * PC & LAPTOP * GAMES CONSOLES * IN CAR ENTERTAINMENT * DOMESTIC APPLIANCES * WEEE DISPOSAL *www.facebook.com/Vistravi.Tech * www.vistravi.com *

Whats the fuss about ...... just form a ruck
    Just when you think everythings fine, life slaps you in the face.

I thought I would have been able to pick up on the fact of someones sexual preference.

Maybe you just were not his type?

I think it is fantastic that he took this step. Maybe we need an updated interpretation of what macho really is. He does not look any less macho to me now.

If only Freddie Mercury had sung "Big Bottom Guys" he would have done wonders for two stigmatized groups in society.