Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Calor Gas

small fishing village outside wick called pulteney

Default oil

we have oil heating and use 2 tank fulls a year about 2400 ltrs that works out about £800 a year, gas can be very much more, but after having a closed in fire i love the oil

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by footie chick
    do you have thermostats on your radiators?
    No, I don't as they are quite aged, which I imagine is also part of the problem. The radiators are also the older flatter type without fins, so they are not great at actually transferring the heat to the room. They are plenty hot to the touch, they are just selfish at giving it out!!

Quote Originally Posted by dozerboy
    I have similar problem. My heating is on twice a day for a couple of hours and it just drinks the gas, but when only the hot water is on over the summer, the gas lasts for ages. I have an old boiler and radiators which I probably should get changed for a new more efficient condensing boiler. I have about 2 fills a year at about £300 odd quid every time. My house already has cavity wall insulation and loft insulation but it doesn't seem that good.
    We've only lived up here since last September, so not sure how much gas we will use for just the water over summer time.
    Don't know how old the boiler is, but when the heating is on it's nice and cosy. We did ask about a new boiler, but one plumber couldn't source a new lpg boiler, another one never turned up and we had no response from HydroElectic (were thinking about an electric boiler).
    As one door shuts, another one slams in your face.

Gleaner Oil And Gas In Elgin Are Cheaper That Calor They Are In Caithness Most Weeks.

Default Gas

Quote Originally Posted by dozerboy
    Apologies for the size of the writing, I didna realise it was so big!!

Was paying 20p in 2004 I think it was.

I've got a mate that is paying 21p per litre from BP for his gas. He went to them to cancel and change to oil and they came up with an offer of 21p and £350 to replace his old boiler with a new one. Well worth calling their Bluff!

Default Gas

I also know the calor gas rep and they will go as low as 23p per litre at a push.
    So......Go on folks give them a push and see what happens.

Default Tank

Quote Originally Posted by Mr & Mrs Billy Boy
    i'm with calor just now and was looking in to changing supplier's.bp was offering a 3 year deal at 20 pence per litre .but calor owne the tank and wanted 200 quid to take it out of my garden and to boot if any gas left in you got nothing back.so decided it was not worth it.so not sure what to do now

Yet again I had a mate who changed from gas to oil, the tank sat in his garden for ages so he told them he was charging them storage for the tank. Needless to say he didnt have to pay anything for them to take it away.

Default Boiler

Quote Originally Posted by stekar
    We are on LPG with Flogas at 30p a litre.

Where we lived before in England we had mains gas central heating which was on all day long (apart from summer time) and it cost us £420 for whole year.

It's costing us about £150 every month!!!! And we only have the heating on a couple of hours in the morning and about 5 hours in the evening. Just can't afford it. Have at times sat in the house with gloves and a coat on!

We looked into swapping, but it's a catch 22 situation, with the tank rental etc. We still haven't decided what to do...
    I'd get your boiler serviced !! There's no way it should be costing you that much. Try BP for a deal too.

Default Thermostats

do you have thermostats on your radiators?

Thermostats on your radiators only control the heat in the room and not the boiler. The boiler should be switched on / controlled by a room thermostat which is normally located in a hallway. The timer / programmer sets the time for the boiler coming on for heating / hot water but if the temperature on the room stat hasn't been met then the boiler will not run. Same applies for hot water, this would be controlled through a pipe stat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali
    Thermostats on your radiators only control the heat in the room and not the boiler. The boiler should be switched on / controlled by a room thermostat which is normally located in a hallway. The timer / programmer sets the time for the boiler coming on for heating / hot water but if the temperature on the room stat hasn't been met then the boiler will not run. Same applies for hot water, this would be controlled through a pipe stat.
    Yeah but if you werent using a room u could turn the temp down and increase it in the room u were using thus using less fuel no! Hallway thermostats are the least economical around unless you want the whole house at the same temp?
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum.

Default TRV's

Yeah but if you werent using a room u could turn the temp down and increase it in the room u were using thus using less fuel no! Hallway thermostats are the least economical around unless you want the whole house at the same temp?

Sounds good........But NO ! The thermostats on the rads have no effect on the boiler, they dont slow it down or speed it up when you alter them. It'll run slower / cooler if you turn down the stat on the boiler itself. The room stat controls the on and off. It switches the boiler on when the temperature is below the temp you have it set at, as long as timer etc on too. The trv's on the rads then control each room individually by opening and closing the valves to let hot water into the rads or not if the trv's are set low.
    The Room stat is normally positioned in a central location in the house so in theory it will be at a similar temperature to other rooms near it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali
    Sounds good........But NO ! The thermostats on the rads have no effect on the boiler, they dont slow it down or speed it up when you alter them. It'll run slower / cooler if you turn down the stat on the boiler itself. The room stat controls the on and off. It switches the boiler on when the temperature is below the temp you have it set at, as long as timer etc on too. The trv's on the rads then control each room individually by opening and closing the valves to let hot water into the rads or not if the trv's are set low.
    The Room stat is normally positioned in a central location in the house so in theory it will be at a similar temperature to other rooms near it.
    Turn the boiler down lower until you can still get the same results using less fuel?
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum.

Default Boilers

To use less fuel you can do any of the following:

Buy and Fit a new Gas Condensing Boiler which takes more heat out of your flue gasses thus runs more effiently. Standard boilers run around 80% efficient whilst the new condensing boilers run approx 98% efficient therefor you get more heat for your money.

Make sure your house is well insulated, Windows being double glazed also helps.

Fit a room stat which will turn on your boiler when the house temp drops to a certain temperature. Having no room stat and a timer just means the boiler comes on at the times you set and runs until the time you set it to stop. A room stat would stop this.
    Say for example you have the timer set for 6am to warm up the house for getting up and have it going until 8 when you leave for work, then on again at 4.30pm for heating up house for coming home from work at 5pm. Now if you have no room stat fitted the boiler will run at the times you set, even if its been a really nice day and the house is hot inside. However if you have a stat and it senses that its hot in the house it will over ride the timer and switch of the boiler. Thus saving you money.

Turning down trv's are not going to make a difference to the boiler running.

Turning down the boiler stat makes the water colder so it'll not warm the rooms the same.

Believe me Room Stats are very good.

Arrow

I did ask a mannie in Wick to come to my house and give me advice on what he would recomend doing with my hungry heating. The whole thing turned into a nightmare. We settled on a new condensing combi boiler (LPG) and they were going to fit all new finned radiators with thermstats on, put a new radiator in my back porch, and get a new fire front. When we chose the boiler, he then said that one was not available for another 6 months in LPG so would have to pay another couple of hundred pounds for the next model up. I took some time to think about it, and decided on another plan. Every time I decided on something the mannie would talk us out of it again, and it was he that had suggested it in the first place. Eventually I told him to forget the whole thing, and to this day I have done nothing about it, and it continues to cost a fortune. Can anyone guess who this mannie was or what company in Wick he worked for? I will never use them again for anything. Talking us into an idea and then talking us out of it again, many times over! Just got sick of the whole thing!!

Quote Originally Posted by garycs
    I was in two minds for a while about using oil or LPG for a new house, oil is over 40p/l and I know a couple of people in Cumbria paying around 50p/l for LPG! I didn't realise you could get it down to 20p/l, although I understand the suppliers put the price up when the first contract ends?

I've more or less decided to go for LPG as long as I can get it for less than the current cost of oil, my reasoning is gas boilers are half the price of oil boilers, are more efficient, and in general have fewer problems (at least that's what my plumber says!)
    Go for oil - the boilers are clean and reliable as you would be burning 28sec kerosene.

I looked into the cost of converting storage radiators into a full calor system and found I would be saving nothing. Went for oil and never regretted it.

Get a big plastic tank, though - it allows you to fill up when the prices drop.

I get the impression that a lot of people that praise Calor gas - just don't want to admit that they made a mistake by installing it.
    Going to church doesn't make you a Christian anymore than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12