Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calor Gas

Arrow Calor Gas

There was a comment in the Tesco thread regarding the price of Calor gas here, I think it is crazy the price I am paying for my gas here. Where I lived previously, I was on the main supply, which was about one quarter of what I pay in Caithness to get a 4 wheeler twice a year to drop a load in my tank. Not that long ago I was paying 19 or 20p a litre, now it costs 30p a litre. What do you all think, and what fuel sorces do you use?

Cool

The towns gas, Im sorry ,I havnt a clue how much it costs, Mrs stone roses deals with it

Arrow

Would be interested in any users of other suppliers or do calor have a monoply and are their prices the same across Scotland

The wholesale cost of the "tank gas" has gone up in price the same as heating oil. The town gas i have has gone up but in comparason to tank gas or oil its very cheap.
    Mum has oil and she phones simpsons and scottish oil to ask the price and tells the 1st that the other is cheaper and so on and usually she can save a wee bit by doing that.Dunno if you can do that with gas though.

dozerboy, I almost missed seeing your post.

How recently was it when you paid 20p a litre for Calor Gas? An answer to the nearest year will suffice!
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

i'm with calor just now and was looking in to changing supplier's.bp was offering a 3 year deal at 20 pence per litre .but calor owne the tank and wanted 200 quid to take it out of my garden and to boot if any gas left in you got nothing back.so decided it was not worth it.so not sure what to do now

I was in two minds for a while about using oil or LPG for a new house, oil is over 40p/l and I know a couple of people in Cumbria paying around 50p/l for LPG! I didn't realise you could get it down to 20p/l, although I understand the suppliers put the price up when the first contract ends?

I've more or less decided to go for LPG as long as I can get it for less than the current cost of oil, my reasoning is gas boilers are half the price of oil boilers, are more efficient, and in general have fewer problems (at least that's what my plumber says!)

I have a wood burning stove, have managed te get fence posts and bits of wood so not paid anything yet, but with the price of other fuel sources rising I am sure it won't be long before 'free' will be a thing of the past and that a premium will be put on the cost of wood

Quote Originally Posted by garycs
    I was in two minds for a while about using oil or LPG for a new house, oil is over 40p/l and I know a couple of people in Cumbria paying around 50p/l for LPG! I didn't realise you could get it down to 20p/l, although I understand the suppliers put the price up when the first contract ends?

I've more or less decided to go for LPG as long as I can get it for less than the current cost of oil, my reasoning is gas boilers are half the price of oil boilers, are more efficient, and in general have fewer problems (at least that's what my plumber says!)
    After your initial 3 year the price goes back up to the same as calor gas (31.9) Oil burns slower than gas so for every 1 1/2ltr of gas you burn you will burn 1ltr of oil ,so is it really a catch 22 situation.
    I would love to change to oil but the cost doesnt justify it

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by JAWS
    dozerboy, I almost missed seeing your post.

How recently was it when you paid 20p a litre for Calor Gas? An answer to the nearest year will suffice!
    Apologies for the size of the writing, I didna realise it was so big!!

Was paying 20p in 2004 I think it was.

We are on LPG with Flogas at 30p a litre.

Where we lived before in England we had mains gas central heating which was on all day long (apart from summer time) and it cost us £420 for whole year.

It's costing us about £150 every month!!!! And we only have the heating on a couple of hours in the morning and about 5 hours in the evening. Just can't afford it. Have at times sat in the house with gloves and a coat on!

We looked into swapping, but it's a catch 22 situation, with the tank rental etc. We still haven't decided what to do...
    As one door shuts, another one slams in your face.

Quote Originally Posted by dozerboy
    Apologies for the size of the writing, I didna realise it was so big!!

Was paying 20p in 2004 I think it was.
    2003 ranged from 21.90 to 25.40
    2004 ranged from 23.90 to 29.25
    2005 ranged from 29.25 to 30.75

During the last tine I can find it below 20p was in December 2000 when it was 19.9p per litre. Since then the price of Crude Oil which is what the price is based on has risen from less than 30$ per barrel to 75$ per barrel.

I don't know how that rise compares with mains gas, perhaps somebody could help with that.

Don't worry about the size of the writing, put that down to me being picky.
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

Quote Originally Posted by stekar

Where we lived before in England we had mains gas central heating which was on all day long (apart from summer time) and it cost us £420 for whole year.

It's costing us about £150 every month!!!! And we only have the heating on a couple of hours in the morning and about 5 hours in the evening. Just can't afford it. Have at times sat in the house with gloves and a coat on!
    Is gas heating that inefficient or is your boiler needing a service? Are you sure you aren't losing gas somewhere?

Exclamation

£150 a month seems high - we use it morning and night plus during the day when it is cold "most days during the winter" plus gas hob and hot water - we pay £79 a month which we think is expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Geo
    Is gas heating that inefficient or is your boiler needing a service? Are you sure you aren't losing gas somewhere?
    gas is not that inefficient i pay £85 a month and that's with it on 12 hour's a day most day's anyway except summer,and my boiler is 18 year's old and not very energy efficient so i think your right it must need a service or there's something else very wrong

We looked into swapping, but it's a catch 22 situation, with the tank rental etc. We still haven't decided what to do...
    £150 per month is a huge amount of gas to use. There are three possible reasons.

1. Gas leaking away.
    2. Very inefficient boiler. If it's an old one which is running poorly it could be worth replacing it with a modern boiler, they're not overly expensive, possibly little more than changing gas supplier and could pay for itself quite quickly.
    3. Heat leaking away. Does the house have as much insulation as is practical to install? Government grants are available for attic and cavity wall insulation.

Quick question. Does anyone know how much a 47kg bottle of LPG costs to refill?

£51.00 for a 47kg gas bottle I think?
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum.

If you are unable to get town mains gas, the bottled variety is very expensive. I changed from solid fuel to oil about 7 years ago now, I chose the oil simply because I could not get mains gas and the bottle variety was about 3 times the price of oil.
    Live the Dream, don't dream the life

Arrow

I have similar problem. My heating is on twice a day for a couple of hours and it just drinks the gas, but when only the hot water is on over the summer, the gas lasts for ages. I have an old boiler and radiators which I probably should get changed for a new more efficient condensing boiler. I have about 2 fills a year at about £300 odd quid every time. My house already has cavity wall insulation and loft insulation but it doesn't seem that good.

do you have thermostats on your radiators?
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast