Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Not my fault

It would appear that some folk can't miss an opportunity to attack your local High School. As has been asked many times before, on similar threads, "Have you consulted the school direct or are you just taking your child's word for everything?" I think STAVRO has an interesting line of questioning though ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Stavro View Post
    I'm not interested in your children, BRIE, but your claims seem to change with the day of the week.

Are you going to explain the discrepancy?
    Nope! As it has absolutely no relevance to this thread.
    life may not be a party be while were here we might as well dance!!

Quote Originally Posted by BRIE View Post
    Nope! As it has absolutely no relevance to this thread.
    That does not surprise me.

Either you have children at the High School or you don't and your whole "point," if it can be called that, is another moan about something which you either know something about or you don't.

"Oh what a tangled web we weave."

Stavro do you really have nothing better to do than harass me on the org?
    you know exactly how many children i have & what age they are so stop playing silly games!
    life may not be a party be while were here we might as well dance!!

Frith - thank goodness you and your car are all right.
    It seems some people want everyone else to be responsible for their stupidity. Anyone wandering about in dark clothing on an unlit road with no pedestrian refuge just reinforces my belief in Darwinism - the sooner their gene pool is extinguished the better!
    Last edited by Gronnuck; 16-Dec-09 at 18:54.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by Gronnuck View Post
    Darwinism - the sooner their gene pool is extinguished the better!
    They have "rights" though, apparently.

Anyway.
    Self preservation comes into this, for gawds sake be seen. Forget who's fault it may or may not be, if you would like to spend as long as possible in this world then get (and give your kids) something reflective, and as much as possible.

Coming back from Inverness I had a similar one, except this person was on the verge so no huge risk. However I do like to give space and / or alter speed as I know a quick stumble on the verge for them may mean I've got to get a new bumper and clean the blood off my car.

I've got a drawer full of hi vis vests, your welcome to 'em if you need 'em.
    Last edited by Phill; 16-Dec-09 at 19:16. Reason: e, i forgot the bloody e

No harm done this time, to either party.
    Aswell you were not in a hurry to get home, aswell he was glutching at that white bag, or whatever was white.
    WoRdS ShOuLd Be SiMpLe An VoIcEs SoFt !!!

Quote Originally Posted by cat View Post
    have to disagree eddie. you surely dont expect people to drive along the main road at 10 miles an hour incase someone is walking on it?
    im not usually on that road,but i was on monday,it was getting dark then too,and there was a guy running on the road towards thurso,the car coming towards him had to swerve and i had to brake,we werent going fast,bout 30,but he was very hard to see
    The first rule of driving on roads that have no lighting is - never drive at a speed where you would be unable to stop within the distance your headlights show to be clear.?

Quote Originally Posted by BRIE View Post
    you know exactly how many children i have & what age they are
    That's not true, either. But let us concentrate on the topic now. Fortunately no accident occurred.

Quote Originally Posted by EDDIE View Post
    Your comming across as if you are playing the blame game ok if you are out late at night it is a good idea to wear something reflective for safety reason but you as a driver should be driving according to the road condition and if you had been reading the road correctly there wouldnt have been a neer miss there is faults on both sides.
    Its ok comming on here saying you should be wearing reflective clothing at night but lets face it how many adults do and do u wear reflective wear on u??
    What a ridiculous comment. Even the most careful driver would struggle to 'read a road' when some idiot decides to go walking on the road dressed in dark clothes on a dark night. The better of these idiots have the common sense to go up on the verge when cars come but others just keep walking. If they don't have a sense of self-preservation, then the us drivers don't stand a cat in hell's chance with them.

I often come across people walking/cycling from Reiss to Wick and with reflective clothing, they can be seen from a good distance away, hence allowing drivers time to take evasive action. Plenty don't wear reflective gear and if they can't be bothered to take a minor step for their own safety, well I don't know what drivers are supposed to do. You wouldn't drive a car with no lights so why go out on the roads at night without reflective gear?

The first rule of driving on roads that have no lighting is - never drive at a speed where you would be unable to stop within the distance your headlights show to be clear.?
    . . . and you've never been blinded, even momentarily, by oncoming traffic.
    Most right thinking motorists do take care but there are some cyclists and pedestrians who have a penchant for remaining invisible believing that because they can see you you must be able to see them. They are being incredibly stupid.
    All road users have a responsibility to see and be seen.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

I live up there and walk up there - always in hi vis, from dusky light onwards, always getting off the road - I cherish my life!
    I suspect i know who we are referring to here and he has taken me by surprise numerous times and with very little regards for the drivers.
    It's a shame that when he is the subject of an accident - it will be the driver to blame!

Your comming across as if you are playing the blame game ok if you are out late at night it is a good idea to wear something reflective for safety reason but you as a driver should be driving according to the road condition and if you had been reading the road correctly there wouldnt have been a neer miss there is faults on both sides.
    Its ok comming on here saying you should be wearing reflective clothing at night but lets face it how many adults do and do u wear reflective wear on u??
    I'm certainly not trying to play the blame game here, I only hope that if this person comes on here, that he takes what is the general advice on here and wear something reflective in the future.
    Passing the blame or not makes no difference when an accident happens, I know of people who have taken a life through no fault of their own in car accidents, and can never live with what they have done. I don't want to be put in that position because someone doesn't take care on the road.

And yes both me and my dogs wear reflective clothing when out at night.

Default Walking on the road.

I was heading back from Groat to Wick a couple of weeks ago at about 5pm.
    Coming out of Reiss towards Ackergill and their was some guy walking on the road with dark clothes on and he made no effort to get up onto the verge.
    I only saw him at the last second as my headlights were dipped because of a car coming in the opposite direction and I just managed to swerve around him without going over onto the wrong side of the road.

Had I been doing 59 miles per hour as opposed to my customary 40 mph, I would have probably hit him before being able to take evasive action or I may have lost control and gone into the car traveling towards Reiss.

I did consider turning around at Ackergill Tower entrance and going back to point out the error of his ways, but Mrs M persuaded me not to.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Default No lights

Quote Originally Posted by LMS View Post
    What a ridiculous comment. Even the most careful driver would struggle to 'read a road' when some idiot decides to go walking on the road dressed in dark clothes on a dark night. ...............You wouldn't drive a car with no lights so why go out on the roads at night without reflective gear?
    Well said LMS! However, lots of drivers DO drive without lights in inclement conditions eg. mist, heavy rain, fog or generally overcast conditions. I think that they have this notion that they don't need lights to see so they must be visible to other road users!! I imagine that it's the same arrogant (or ignorant) philosophy that makes folk wander about in the dark on country roads without a thought for their own safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Milkins View Post
    I was heading back from Groat to Wick a couple of weeks ago at about 5pm.
    Coming out of Reiss towards Ackergill and their was some guy walking on the road with dark clothes on and he made no effort to get up onto the verge.
    I only saw him at the last second as my headlights were dipped because of a car coming in the opposite direction and I just managed to swerve around him without going over onto the wrong side of the road.

Had I been doing 59 miles per hour as opposed to my customary 40 mph, I would have probably hit him before being able to take evasive action or I may have lost control and gone into the car traveling towards Reiss.

I did consider turning around at Ackergill Tower entrance and going back to point out the error of his ways, but Mrs M persuaded me not to.
    I think I had a near miss with that same person! I have seen a few pedestrians, on the Reiss area of the Wick road, who need some sort of reflective clothing.

And Eddie, even if I was driving within a safe stopping distance, the pedestrian has a responsibility to make themselves seen, by wearing reflective clothing. The Highway Code doesn't just apply to drivers, it applies to pedestrians too. Too many people up here walk out in front of cars or walk in the middle of the road when it just isn't safe.

Pavements (including any path along the side of a road) should be used if provided. Where possible, avoid being next to the kerb with your back to the traffic. If you have to step into the road, look both ways first. Always show due care and consideration for others.

If there is no pavement keep to the right-hand side of the road so that you can see oncoming traffic. You should take extra care and
    • be prepared to walk in single file, especially on narrow roads or in poor light
    • keep close to the side of the road
    It may be safer to cross the road well before a sharp right-hand bend so that oncoming traffic has a better chance of seeing you. Cross back after the bend.

Help other road users to see you. Wear or carry something light-coloured, bright or fluorescent in poor daylight conditions. When it is dark, use reflective materials (e.g. armbands, sashes, waistcoats, jackets, footwear), which can be seen by drivers using headlights up to three times as far away as non-reflective materials.

Exactly people think that the highway code only applies to people in cars, but applies to anyone on a public highway.

Anyone else on here remember the TV ad with the jingle: "Wear something white at night"?

Quote Originally Posted by Frith View Post
    Just past Janetstown, heading out off Thurso. This guy was on the road, soon jumped out of the way when I nearly hit him mind. He had nothing reflective or bright on at all. I normally slow down if I see even the reflection from an animals eyes, I was on top of this guy before I saw him.
    Was this just out past BT Frith? I luckily seen a guy last night on my way home about half 8 ish....don't know how he caught my eye dark clothes, hood up and walking on the road towards me.....got the fright of my life!!! xx

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast