Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: what do you cook for christmas ?

Default what do you cook for christmas ?

be interested to hear what others cook at christmas time as it might spark a few more ideas for me. First time i've been in charge of all the christmas cooking and i'm vegetarian and everybody else mostly meat eaters. I have nae qualms about cooking meat so am actually going to do a turkey along with wee sausages and gravy plus roast tatties and parsnips. Big pan of other roast veg, onion, garlic, mushroom, tomato, courgette and aubergine. Proper stuffing. Cranberry sauce. Small leafy, herby salad. Plus christmas pud, brandy cream and cheese and biscuits. What am i missing lol. Definately doing caramel pecan rolls for an indulgent brekkie wi coffee christmas morning. Any ideas for hors d'oeurves christmas eve? Planning to do soup and mebbe chicken wings and spinach,feta,filo pies but, looking for a few more ideas. Surely margaritas for xmas eve too!

Default christmas cooking

Hi,
    One of my family favs is...... Grated Parsnips, with finely chpped onion, mix togehter with a beaten egg, form rounds and roast, lovely.
    "If there is room in your heart, there is room in your home" Rescue Anon

that sounds lovely!

I need some ideas for starters please-nobody likes fish/prawns,one doesnt like cheese,the other no mayonaise so its becoming a bit of a nightmare-dont really want to do soup as it is so filling so any ideas would be great thanks!x
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

Pate or melon in port are both nice.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Fstevens View Post
    Hi,
    One of my family favs is...... Grated Parsnips, with finely chpped onion, mix togehter with a beaten egg, form rounds and roast, lovely.

Oooo that sounds lush, Mmmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by changilass View Post
    Pate or melon in port are both nice.
    Thanks Changi but yet again one doesnt like melon and one doesnt like pate..........argh!!!!!!!!!I think I am going to have to do mulitple starters at this rate! x
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

Thumper - What about vol-au-vents or stuffed/garlic mushrooms?

We have 2 starters to chose from to please all this year it will be pate & oatcakes or prawn cocktail.
    Main course is a mixture of meats to - Venison, Turkey & Gammon.

Pudding is whatever shop bought one the kids fancy.

I won't be cooking any of it tho that's my lovely hubby's job
    I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals - Winston Churchill

What about dippy things and sauces.

That way you can do a few different ones of each and let folks help themselves rather than having to plate up a number of different starters.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.