Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Very close accident.. Hempriggs

Default Very close accident.. Hempriggs

Was anyone on here in one of the cars where there was a very near accident on hempriggs half way down the straight at about 7:20pm 14/12/09? Myself a black golf and a silver golf had to go on the verge at about 40mph! Some clown pulled out to overtake on the dip obviously not seeing there was a car coming, Not his fault in a way because whoever was at the front was sitting at 40 for ages on a straight.
    Anyway just thought i'd ask to see if anyone would own up to being an idiot and nearly making me go up the chuff of a golf.
    Last edited by caithnesslad; 15-Dec-09 at 12:20.

He/she should have seen ye as its night time with the lights on an its a pretty straight road ye can see from Hempriggs house to Wick and vice versa.

It doesna matter how good ye are does it ,it just takes a moments madness to put all in peril with a misjudged overtaking manoeuvre,too impetuous indeed for arriving 2mins earlier.

Ye were lucky this time but there are a lot of chancers out there ye just have to be vigilant and look out for them if ye can.

Quote Originally Posted by caithnesslad View Post
    Was anyone on here in one of the cars where there was a very near accident on hempriggs half way down the straight at about 7:20pm 15/12/09? Myself a black golf and a silver golf had to go on the verge at about 40mph! Some clown pulled out to overtake on the dip obviously not seeing there was a car coming, Not his fault in a way because whoever was at the front was sitting at 40 for ages on a straight.
    Anyway just thought i'd ask to see if anyone would own up to being an idiot and nearly making me go up the chuff of a golf.
    7:20pm 15/12/09 hasn't happened yet so I could pop along to see or you could just avoid the area.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by caithnesslad View Post
    Not his fault in a way because whoever was at the front was sitting at 40 for ages on a straight.
    Lucky no one was injured, but this was definitely his fault!

Default Speed

I usually bumble along at about 40 miles an hour and if someone chooses to make an ill judged overtaking maneuver, then I would not consider it my fault if he ended up in the ditch.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Default Near Miss

It is the idiot who overtook without checking - not the road or the folk going at 40 - it was the idiots fault for not ensuring it was completely clear to overtake, that is why many accidents happen.

People blame the road - it is not the road - it is the driver on the road, the road does not move it is the one constant thing. It may be the ability of the driver, speed, condition of the car but do not blame the road.

If a driver is happy going at 40 - that is their prerogative, that is a fair speed and especially if the driver is a fairly new driver or unsure of the road and conditions.

Cars are lethal machines and can kill - that is why you require to pass a competency test to use one. Only trouble is idiots can pass the test too so you have to be careful at all times.

If a driver cannot drive to the speed of the road then maybe he should consider taking a few lessons.

Safe driving is not all about how slow or how fast you can go.

In some places you would get done for kerb crawling.

If everyone was a bitty more considerate we would all do better.

If you are crawling along, have the decency to allow others to pass, and if you are passing LOOK.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

I agree it is frustrating when you're stuck behind a slow-moving vehicle, but just because the speed limit is 40/50/60 mph - it doesn't mean to say you must stick to that speed and not go any slower!!!!

I did say 'the speed of the road' as opposed to the national speed limits.

If everyone else was doing 60 then someone doing 40 is a hazzard. If however, conditions mean that the majority are doing 40 then 60 would obviously be hazzardous.

As already stated, a bitty consideration all round would mean less accidents and frustration.

Me thinks common sense went out the window with the dish water.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by pat View Post

If a driver is happy going at 40 - that is their prerogative, that is a fair speed and especially if the driver is a fairly new driver or unsure of the road and conditions.
    Iwould say 40 is far better than 50 - leastit gives those wishing to on a safe bit of road a better chance to overtake than if they were going at 50 for example and someone else was doing 60mh.

Plus 40 mph is the speed limit for certain vehicles anyway so - it's bound to happen!!

Quote Originally Posted by changilass View Post

If everyone else was doing 60 then someone doing 40 is a hazzard. .
    isn't it true that every vehicle on the road is a potential hazard to everyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by pat View Post
    It is the idiot who overtook without checking - not the road or the folk going at 40 - it was the idiots fault for not ensuring it was completely clear to overtake, that is why many accidents happen.

People blame the road - it is not the road - it is the driver on the road, the road does not move it is the one constant thing. It may be the ability of the driver, speed, condition of the car but do not blame the road.

Cars are lethal machines and can kill - that is why you require to pass a competency test to use one. Only trouble is idiots can pass the test too so you have to be careful at all times.

Spot on with these comments,very true.

Quote Originally Posted by Loraine View Post
    I agree it is frustrating when you're stuck behind a slow-moving vehicle, but just because the speed limit is 40/50/60 mph - it doesn't mean to say you must stick to that speed and not go any slower!!!!
    Better to be frustrated than dead!!!

Very true Keep on Trucking, I mind my driving instructer telling me to assume that everyone on the road was a nutter and to drive as though they were gonna do sumat stupid at every opportunity - very good advice.

There's nothing wrong with people bimbling along at a steady 30 or 40 in a 60 zone - providing they're not holding up traffic by keeping their speed down where it's difficult to overtake.
    It's when other traffic can't get past where it would be reasonable to overtake that it becomes a case of the slower driver being an ignorant arse. There's big signs all over the Highlands that say "Police Notice: Allow faster vehicles to overtake" - in other words don't hold people up unnecessarily.

Regarding the incident at Hempriggs: it's very easy to lose oncoming traffic in the blind dip - especially in the dark, and if someones getting a bit impatient, then trouble will occur. It may also be that the overtaking driver was not local and was oblivious to the danger...whatever the reasons for the near miss, at least it was just that - a near miss.

Quote Originally Posted by northener View Post
    There's nothing wrong with people bimbling along at a steady 30 or 40 in a 60 zone - providing they're not holding up traffic by keeping their speed down where it's difficult to overtake.
    It's when other traffic can't get past where it would be reasonable to overtake that it becomes a case of the slower driver being an ignorant arse. There's big signs all over the Highlands that say "Police Notice: Allow faster vehicles to overtake" - in other words don't hold people up unnecessarily.

Regarding the incident at Hempriggs: it's very easy to lose oncoming traffic in the blind dip - especially in the dark, and if someones getting a bit impatient, then trouble will occur. It may also be that the overtaking driver was not local and was oblivious to the danger...whatever the reasons for the near miss, at least it was just that - a near miss.
    This has been discussed many times,with the same ridiculous presumptions of other road users, 40 mph on a 60 mph MAX road is not kerb crawling Changi, some drivers want to enjoy a drive at 40 mph why should they have to tear around at 60 to satisfy other road users, some drivers want to conserve there fuel by driving at 40 mph, they pay for it and I for one will not be told to what to do just so the 60 mph driver can have there way. The only traffic I will stop to allow overtaking is emergency vehicles not the late for work brigade or the must watch a prog on telly brigade, having said that I have been known to pull into a layby to allow tailbacks to overtake, but I don't dive into a layby because some nutter decides to tailgate me to try and make me go faster. The police notice for overtaking is for informing slow moving vehicles to allow overtaking by the use of laybys to allow overtaking, not to allow ignorant arses to tear up to a law abiding drivers and expect them to quiver and shake at the prospect of drivers who want to go faster. Get real the road is for all, not to dictate your terms and conditions just too suit the speed merchants.
    Rant over.

Quote Originally Posted by northener View Post

Very true you will see the tyre marks on the grass from me and two golfs half way down the straight on the left hand side coming into Wick, The car overtaking basically had to stop dead in the middle of the road because it was so close. Very lucky bet he wont be doing a manoever like that in a hurry again.

Default Speed

I drive at a speed that I feel comfortable and safe driving at, if I have cars behind me, then I do pull over at the best opportunity to do so.

I have been driving since 1973 and have never had a driving conviction or an accident, ( whether or not that's just good luck) and I don't intend to speed up just because someone is tailgating me.

I worked in the funeral industry for many years and had the unfortunate job of having to deal with several RTA's and often the victim was the innocent party. Those experiences have left a lasting impression on me that cars are not very giving when they collide, besides that, have you ever tried to get 50 mph out of a Sinclair C5.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Milkins View Post
    I drive at a speed that I feel comfortable and safe driving at, if I have cars behind me, then I do pull over at the best opportunity to do so.

I have been driving since 1973 and have never had a driving conviction or an accident, ( whether or not that's just good luck) and I don't intend to speed up just because someone is tailgating me.

I worked in the funeral industry for many years and had the unfortunate job of having to deal with several RTA's and often the victim was the innocent party. Those experiences have left a lasting impression on me that cars are not very giving when they collide, besides that, have you ever tried to get 50 mph out of a Sinclair C5.
    Hear hear Kevin, I too passed my test in 1967 and have had a clean licence since, I totally agree with your train of thought, certain arses want the road to themselves on their terms and everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by tonkatojo View Post
    This has been discussed many times,with the same ridiculous presumptions of other road users, 40 mph on a 60 mph MAX road is not kerb crawling Changi, some drivers want to enjoy a drive at 40 mph why should they have to tear around at 60 to satisfy other road users, some drivers want to conserve there fuel by driving at 40 mph, they pay for it and I for one will not be told to what to do just so the 60 mph driver can have there way. The only traffic I will stop to allow overtaking is emergency vehicles not the late for work brigade or the must watch a prog on telly brigade, having said that I have been known to pull into a layby to allow tailbacks to overtake, but I don't dive into a layby because some nutter decides to tailgate me to try and make me go faster. The police notice for overtaking is for informing slow moving vehicles to allow overtaking by the use of laybys to allow overtaking, not to allow ignorant arses to tear up to a law abiding drivers and expect them to quiver and shake at the prospect of drivers who want to go faster. Get real the road is for all, not to dictate your terms and conditions just too suit the speed merchants.
    Rant over.
    Calm down, dear.

Someone travelling faster than you isn't necessarily a 'speed merchant'. Any more than anyone who travels at less than 60 is incompetent.

My comments regard sections of road where it is safe and clear to travel faster than the vehicle in front whilst staying within the limit. Simple.

The Police signs aren't put up for the benefit of 'Other' drivers or 'slow' vehicles, they are there to remind all drivers - regardless of the size of their vehicle - that they have a responsibility to other road users in as much that they must not hold people up unnecessarily.

An example of holding up unnecessarily would be on a clear A road where the lead driver is doing 40mph in a 60 zone and traffic is unable to overtake for long periods because of constant oncoming traffic. Or travelling down a single track road with laybys and refusing to pull over to allow traffic behind to clear.
    Both tailbacks could be avoided by positive action by the lead driver, refusal to do so based upon the premise that 'You can't make me do it' would show an arrogance only matched by those who deliberately tailgate other drivers.

To quote you, Tonks : "Get real the road is for all, not to dictate your terms and conditions..."

That applies to people holding up the flow of traffic as much as it does to the 'speed merchants'.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast