Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solar Pillar

1. Default Solar Pillar

A cracker of a solar pillar today at sunset.These were taken approx 30-40 minutes after sunset.

MPH,

All I can say is WOW.

Real stunners, I think the third is a particularly good image.

I was wondering what that was. I took a few from the house but they are not anywhere as good as yours. I am with NL on number 3.
    Away with the birds

Another set of stunner's.
    You don't have to be mad to know me but it helps.

Dont know what the mark in the middle of them are, must have been dirt on the lens
    Away with the birds

They are very good Kas.
    You don't have to be mad to know me but it helps.

yep saw it while driving in from Dunnet, gutted that I couldn't stop and take a pic of it!!!

Wow have never seen one of these before thanks for sharing .
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

Saw it from Presto, car park. Wondered what it was.

I didnt have a clue what it was.
    You learn something new every day

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_pillar

second one this week I have heard.
    Away with the birds

11. Default

Nice shots Kas,i can sympathise with the dirt on the lens.Was out from 10 pm to 4 this morning with the camera and scope,everything was soaking with dew and i never cleaned the lens when i went out at 9.30 this morning,only noticed when i stuck the card in the computer that there was a big streak across all the shots.
    It will be photoshop to the rescue when i get round to looking at them again.
    Off out for somemore astro shots,i'm a bit photo'ed out so will not be staying out till 4 tonight.

Great shots, have never seen that but have seen the halos around both the sun and moon caused by ice crystals. I will be watching the skies with interest for the next few days.

Here are two views I took last night from differing angles. This is the sun behind Hoy.

dafsorkneybirding.blogspot.com

14. Default

Great shots Dafi.Are these taken from somewhere around Brodgar?
    Heres another from the Janetstown road.
    Last edited by Mystical Potato Head; 13-Dec-09 at 13:29.

I like the last two sets the best, as those are far more natural looking. Such a nice spectacle does not need any drastic photoshop adjustments!

16. Default

Wow,another dig.I'm honoured you take the time out to criticise me in particular,i did notice you commented on someones sunrise shots very favourably even though one was way out of focus but when i posted an out of focus shot you were pretty quick to mention it.
    You're perfectly entitled to criticise but at least be consistant with your criticism otherwise it looks purely personal.

Just exactly what drastic photoshopping are you refering to because the second and third of my shots are the least vivid of all the photos in this thread and had NO colour adjustment done to them which makes them exactly the same as the light that entered the camera,cant get more natural than that but obviously not natural enough for you.
    Last edited by Mystical Potato Head; 13-Dec-09 at 16:43.

Like the Janetstown 1 with the con trail across it, I'm loving all the shots just hope some more folk got pictures they can share.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Potato Head View Post
    Wow,another dig.I'm honoured you take the time out to criticise me in particular,i did notice you commented on someones sunrise shots very favourably even though one was way out of focus but when i posted an out of focus shot you were pretty quick to mention it.
    You're perfectly entitled to criticise but at least be consistant with your criticism otherwise it looks purely personal.

Just exactly what drastic photoshopping are you refering to because the second and third of my shots are the least vivid of all the photos in this thread and had NO colour adjustment done to them which makes them exactly the same as the light that entered the camera,cant get more natural than that but obviously not natural enough for you.
    Ignore them, your pics are great.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
    I like the last two sets the best, as those are far more natural looking. Such a nice spectacle does not need any drastic photoshop adjustments!

I cant do photoshop my two are nearly straight from the camera. I have cropped them but thats all. The first of mine is exactly what I saw the other is taken on a difference White balance setting on the camera as I was experimenting. I have only ever experimented with one photo on photoshop. Too complicated so far.
    Away with the birds

Great captures everyone - I can't believe I missed it .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast