Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Home Educating?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirdon View Post
    My kids do "normal School" but also learn many other skills from my OH and myself after school and at the weekend so the above teaching of "kayak surfing, squash etc, etc" is nothing special to "home teaching" just normal parenting.
    Too few parents do activities like this with their children. You and your better half have done a superb job of raising smart, well-rounded individuals. It is so good to see young folks staying busy and taking advantage of what the area offers rather than hanging around the street corners.

Every child I have seen home taught has been socially dysfunctional. If you want a well rounded child support the school, extend their learning with extra-curricular activities but don't home teach them.
    There are two rules for success:
    1. Never tell people everything you know

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    Every child I have seen home taught has been socially dysfunctional. If you want a well rounded child support the school, extend their learning with extra-curricular activities but don't home teach them.
    Yours is a very dysfunctional post and claiming generalities to the point of absurdity, like George Brimms and his 'weidos' nonsense.

I dont see it as being quite as black and white as that. As a conservative estimate, 20 children/adolescents commit suicide in the UK every year as a result of bullying, while 69% of children report being bullied. Some parents have tough choices to make on the matter.

teaching your child at home is a matter of choice, some agree with it, some don't ...

there's a very strong arguement against home education because it reduces the kid's social interaction, development etc ...

but what if your child was being bullied at school or just 'hated' being at school.
    one size doesn't fit all when it comes to education, some kids gain more in the classroom with a group, some on their own, some like to listen to music.. why not some at home ?

education needs to be flexible, there are identified learning styles that some pupils don't 'fit' into ...

if your child's learning needs can be met and achieved at home then why not ? so long as the parent can competently teach a broad range of subjects and as long as the kids are mixing with their peers in the evenings/weekends ....

can we hear from some mini orgers who have been home taught .... (assuming you can use a keyboard)

Parents who homeschool their children tend to have problems with control/authority/arrogance, which are the parents' fear based issues and have nothing to do with the child's needs. I've only ever known one child who was truly better off being homeschooled. He was a bright boy with Asperger's and was bullied at school, and his mother, grandmother and grandfather were well qualified to homeschool as they all had advanced teaching credentials. His siblings flourished at school while he flourished at home. He is now a public school teacher, himself, and turned out very well.

Quote Originally Posted by sassylass View Post
    Parents who homeschool their children tend to have problems with control/authority/arrogance, which are the parents' fear based issues and have nothing to do with the child's needs.
    Nail. Head. Hammer.

Well said.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

With regard to the 'well rounded' part of one post,I could see a child taking on the parents' entrenched views on life, big time.An being as that can encompass a mighty big scope-I have known some well educated an qualified people whom you would not wish to put in charge of a tadpole!
    Point being, in tune with most of the thread,imho,a secular, enclosed,or restricted environment, an bye definition (I am better equipted than the state to teach my child) implyies a certain amount of that.There are exceptions,an it would require two well in tune parents to bring it off,not parrots of each other,rather more well aware of the diversity that is required in a childs upbringing to enable junior to interact with their peers ,in a way that may be considered normal-as opposd to ---not.
    To anyone who brings it off,well done an good luck,it is much more than I could do.Have to say thou'I am not in favour of it personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavro View Post
    Yours is a very dysfunctional post and claiming generalities to the point of absurdity, like George Brimms and his 'weidos' nonsense.
    Perhaps you should read my post again. I am not "claiming generalities" I am simply stating what I have experienced. Or have we got to the point that people are no longer able to communicate their own observations.

Perhaps you should read my post again. I am not "claiming generalities" I am simply stating what I have experienced. Or have we got to the point that people are no longer able to communicate their own observations.

So what is ...
    If you want a well rounded child support the school, ... don't home teach them.
    ... if not a generality?

An opinion based on my observations and the situation I outlined.

I take it you home school?

Quote Originally Posted by greenasiamcabbagelooking View Post
    but what if your child was being bullied at school or just 'hated' being at school.
    Then I'd say school is a good grounding for life... Life is unfair - lots of people end up in jobs they hate but they do it because they have to. I have two friends who were home schooled and struggled staying in employment in their teens/early twenties as they hadn't ever had to do anything they didn't really want to. They adjusted eventually but I do feel that school gives you the advantage of learning cope to do things that aren't exactly enthralling.

As for bullying, I should have been the prime candidate for being bullied (short, clever, science geek, tomboy) but I never was. Yes I struggled when I moved into secondary school, but I learnt when to keep my head down and when to stick up for myself. I have found this a brilliant skill to have in my working life - there are a lot of bullies in the workplace in general and my dealings with people like this as a child mean that I have found it easy to adapt my mannerisms to get the better of them

A child who is taught how to deal properly with confrontations should never find themselves in a position where they are bullied.

An opinion based on my observations and the situation I outlined.

And definitely a generality, right?

Not a generality...a comment on what I have observed. If I observe a well rounded socially integrated home schooled person I will happily acknowledge it.
    You never answered my question are you home schooling or home schooled?
    Last edited by Tristan; 11-Dec-09 at 23:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavro View Post
    And definitely a generality, right?
    Doesn't sound so. Unless you are trying to argue that they have a very general life? You point is coming across as argumentative again Any chance of laying off on the though crime accusations

Is it true it's mandatory for gingers?

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Is it true it's mandatory for gingers?

Yes, because they're nuts.

I find that most children who are home educated don't have the social skills of school taught children. I think this is down to not socializing with others on a daily basis & without the classroom environment they aren't getting others opinions, arguments on subjects. I personally find that alot of home educated people come across as argumentative when discussing a subject due to them believing that the opinion they were taught is always right!
    life may not be a party be while were here we might as well dance!!

Quote Originally Posted by BRIE View Post
    I find that most children who are home educated don't have the social skills of school taught children. I think this is down to not socializing with others on a daily basis & without the classroom environment they aren't getting others opinions, arguments on subjects. I personally find that alot of home educated people come across as argumentative when discussing a subject due to them believing that the opinion they were taught is always right!
    Sadly, I agree. Talking to home-educated people is like talking to an amalgamation of their parents.
    Last edited by crayola; 13-Dec-09 at 14:02.

Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post
    Sadly, I agree. Talking to home-educated people is like talking to an amalgamation of their parents.
    As opposed to speaking to people conventionally educated in schools who tend to be an amalgam of their teachers or the state led curriculum over which they have no choice? People such as you?
    "Negotiation is irrelevant. You will be assimilated." The Borg Collective

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast