Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Anyone Home Educating?

Personally I don't see why anyone would be against home education.
    IMO a school environment can be extremely over rated, especially nowadays.
    Bullying is at a high and class sizes are growing rapidly.

The ever increasing usage of the internet and the masses of information it enables us to obtain makes home education much more informative, varied and in depth than many schools are able to offer.
    I really don't see that any child is going to suffer from receiving one on one schooling at home and IMO a lot of the "social" skills that a child learns at school can be far from productive, but just as easily gained in club and family activities.
    Please note though that I am NOT suggesting we do away with a school education, or that it isn't a productive environment most of the time or that teachers are being taken over by the tinternet. (Just wanted to clear that up. ).

Let's face it the majority of us have at some point in our adult life made the statement that we've learnt more since leaving school.
    I passed all my exams at school but I have to say Maths was way over my head, I just couldn't grasp it. However since leaving school I've been able to master all those subjects I once found difficult.

The problem IMO is that the education system is too set in its ways. There's a certain way of teaching that is adhered to and if a child doesn't grasp that particular way of learning they fall behind. Show them a different way to learn the same thing though and they often pick it up right away. All kids are different and being expected to be at a certain level at a certain age or else you are classed as behind just doesn't work.
    All it does is leave a child with a horrific memory of school and with feelings of inadequacy and uselessness.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

Stavros, does home education make a normal person turn into a pompous erse?
    Working On Behalf Of The Community!

Quote Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post
    Stavros, does home education make a normal person turn into a pompous erse?

So you were home-educated, Tub.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavro View Post
    So you were home-educated, Tub.
    hahahahahah.... that's a good one! It's grand to see such a high standard of humour in our educated brethren.
    Ever thought of going on the stage Stavro? As a clown maybe?
    Working On Behalf Of The Community!

Quote Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post
    hahahahahah.... that's a good one! It's grand to see such a high standard of humour in our educated brethren.
    Ever thought of going on the stage Stavro? As a clown maybe?
    I love the circus,do they still fire clown out of cannons?
    life may not be a party be while were here we might as well dance!!

Default Home Educating my Children

I would like to reply to the many messages that have been raised due to my simple message concerning the possibility of other home educating parents in the area. I would firstly like to say a big Thank You to all of you who send messages both of goodwill and kindness, and others too. I would also add my comments below are purely my findings on home educating my children and friends whom have taken the same decision. I in no way think that school is a bad thing, and as parents we all do what we believe is best for our children, some children flourish in a school environment whilst others do not. At the end of the day we all love our children and are all doing what we believe the best for them.

My decision to home educate my daughters was not one that was taken lightly but a decision that was thought out, and I would add at this point that nothing is set in stone and at anytime in the future should the girls make a request to attend school then that would be their decision and one that would be respected by me.
    For me, I believe that we begin to home educate our children much younger than 5yrs old. Without any formal lessons we have guided them through learning to walk, talk, wash, dress, count and numerous other basic skills, anyone of which would daunt the most experienced teacher if it were not for the child’s natural ability and desire to learn.
    Reading alone can occur at widely differing ages despite the same encouragement and access to books.
    Most parents are uniquely well-placed to understand what is best for their own children, and individual children need very different things and as most long-term home educators have observed our children’s needs can dictate gradual shifts of style and emphasis over the years. If we respond flexibly to each of our children and listen to them as equal partners in their education rather than relying on predetermined academic theories about children in general we can trust them to make us into the educators they need. As home educators there is no need for repeated testing and writing down because it is patently obvious when an explanation has made sense.
    Moreover they are not excluded from adult life and learn how to cope in public, on transport, in shops, bank, dentist etc etc from a young age and they gain experience in handling the dilemmas and crises of real life and seem to develop a mature confidence.
    In brief as far as social skills go, home-educated children are more likely to have friends outside a narrow age band and can thus be themselves.
    So quickly in response to a few comments, No we are not weirdo’s just a normal family, No we are not in a strange religions group, No my girls are not loners or introvert, No you do not need to be a teacher, just dedicated. Some Home educators are very structured some follow an autonomous approach, but whether we send them to school or not we all just want the best and I wish everyone whichever path they may be on the best of luck and a Happy Christmas

To end, no, I do not have the answers to all the questions, as this is just as much a learning experience for me too. If the girls ask me something I do not know the answer to we find out, we look it up, we investigate, we learn. And no I cannot carry out technical laboratory experiments, but should they seem to excel in one particular area then that is something we will have to work on, because for us education is always a work in progress and never stops..
    Finally thank you for all your comments on the subject..

Thumbs up Best wishes & good luck

Good on you, Skylight, for providing such a well thought out and considered response. You are a great advert for home education. Best of luck to you & yours.

Excellent post, Skylight - well thought out, and covers lots of different questions people no doubt had about home education! I'm sure your children will grow up to be very intelligent like their mum!

Great post Sky xx

Thumbs up

Well done skylight you do what you feel is best for you and your family,I admire your comment , may you and your family have a blessed christmas and new year and I wish you all the best with your home ed.
    love light and laughter
    whitecloud x

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345