Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    I'm pretty sure if you come out of university with a post graduate degree then you ARE probably a hard working young chap and suitable for the job in question.

Unfortunately not guaranteed, having spent a few years at a Uni I can say they have there fair (maybe more) share of bone idle layabouts that somehow manage to scrape through.

Also having been tasked to look after a group of post grad's in the workplace and help nurture their talents (?) I can honestly say that the system is flawed.
    The scary part is the belief by some that the degree alone is enough to assume that they have the skills and experience to make sound judgements.

Degrees may be fine but practical experience is also required in equal measure.

Respect to all you who have gained the educational standard you have sought. I'm not really against graduates, some of my best mates have degrees... As a country we should be supporting the education of those who are willing to work towards the roles that need filled. Doctors, Engineers, Chemists, Physicists. There should be equity in valuing qualifications; at the moment, there's an incredible attitude in some very influential quarters that accepts an HND as merely a pause on the journey to a first degree. Kids should not be encouraged to 'go to Uni', they should be encouraged to strive for the best they can achieve to meet their aspirations. And consider other routes and times for getting there. And as much support should be given to Further Ed as is apportioned to Higher Ed. Very limited places should be supported for more creative courses. Anyone who wants to study the history of art should do it under their own steam. Support for a BA in violin-playing should require a welding qualification to go with it! No more 'degree required, any degree will do; it shows you can study' claptrap. There's too much focus on academia for its own sake in this country; too many highly-qualified fragile & needy types who cost a lot but don't appear to improve anything. And there's still too much selfishness and greed. I'm a mere bus driver just now, but I seek betterment!
    Working On Behalf Of The Community!

Poetry being at the top of yer list til learn maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by lister View Post
    Poetry being at the top of yer list til learn maybe...
    And maybe figure out how to set the spacing out on the page - don't know what happened there?? Glad you're still talking to me Listy - look forward to seeing your creations on the Lit forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post
    And maybe figure out how to set the spacing out on the page - don't know what happened there?? Glad you're still talking to me Listy - look forward to seeing your creations on the Lit forum!
    A bus driver...well i do have some respect for ye now lookin at the state o the roads an o'course the crazeeeee driving ye must see and not to mention the general public for giving ye quite probably the most real unreal experience of yer life,not to mention the school run, an yer ok for the banter...
    Take all that life throws an give it back 2 fold.
    An dont get me started on bliddy computers an all their apps ,tab this an corrugate that an remember the dooflicker wi the f2bios allignment options....an do ye want fries wi hid...i choost dont know,,,just dont know.???Who i mean who wrote this cak,an dont forget to speill cheeke ,jeez another thing till remember along with breathing.

Towards the current thread i thought my signature might strike a chord i thought it would but no one picked it up but in my experience its true so maybe Jox an ithers can take heart in the fact that when they go to work the staff dont think they are total an utter,total,total ones..

Maybe life is like a box of chocolates to some but in my case the human experience in work with managers and supervisors an such are more like a box of chocolates left on the front seat of a car in Mexico in the summer.....all melted an mixed an confusing an just no worth the bother..keep the promotion ye should say cos when ye go up ye meet all the stuff that floats to the top an ye have till converse an speak to on a daily basis....gives me the cold fusion effect in ma mind..

An no i didn't press spell check,,,I'm rebelling..ha

Quote Originally Posted by joxville View Post
    You go to work and put in the hours, standing in to help many times at short notice, learn every job in every department to try better your career prospects, put up with all manner of crap because someday you'll be rewarded with a promotion and then what happens? The Manager moves on and someone from outside the depot gets the position job instead of me. No disrespect to my new boss but he has no experience of the industry, he only got the job because he's a Post Graduate in something at Uni. I'm bloody furious but can't say anything to the Area Manager about his decision to give the job to someone else, he'll just tell me if I don't like it then I know where the door is; and who can afford to quit a job in the present climate?
    I'm sorry to hear you didn't get the job Jox.

Was it advertised in a formal and open competition and did you apply for it?
    Last edited by crayola; 10-Dec-09 at 22:48.

Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post
    I'm sorry to hear you didn't get the job Jox.

Was it advertised in a formal and open competition and did you apply for it?
    It wasn't advertised.

Traditionally the company always promoted staff within the depot, however, on this occassion the area manager decided to give the job to a Uni graduate before it was publicly announced my manager was moving to a new post within the company. I wouldn't have fet so bad had I failed to pass an interview, but it didn't even reach that stage.

I found out today from my outgoing boss that his replacement is the nephew of one of the company directors! I can take heart that it wasn't any fault on my part. I've met my future boss, he came across as a likeable chap, but time will tell how he takes to the real world after years of studying. I'll still give the company 100% because that's how I am, though I may not give the new boss all the info unless he asks for it, and he may not know what to ask.

The scary thing is, he's only 26-I've been in the workforce longer than he's been on this planet.

though I may not give the new boss all the info unless he asks for it, and he may not know what to ask.

Remember the phrase: " I taught him all he knows" and then remember "but I didn't teach him all I know".

Angry

..."I found out today from my outgoing boss that his replacement is the nephew of one of the company directors!"...
    Aye, and there's the nub! Bloody disgusting!
    "Life is a sexually transmitted disease, with 100% fatality." R.D.Laing

Joxville, earlier in this post I left my sympathies with you, never thinking I could have the same feelings.
    I am a guide on the Edinburgh Bus tours, have been a casual guide for the last 4 seasons, a job I have loved and enjoyed, I was called into the Managers office to be handed my usual end of season letter and thank you for your loyal service talk. Only to be told as I fall into the over 70 years old trap next year, I will not be needed in 2010, to say I was stunned was an under statement, sadly I am not the only guide who falls into this age trap there are about 10 or more who are similarily affected, one guide is even 81 a fit man he has been employed for 12 years, who again is a wonderful and loyal worker, who wears a kilt most of the year and the visitors love this.
    I will not be affected finacially with the loss of this job, I did this job as a hobby, one I loved, I even have a groupie who has come over from Canada the last 3 years, and she only comes on the tours that I do, so I must be doing something right.
    The Company's reason has been stated that insurance premiums for employing over 70's has shot up and Edinburgh Tours can no longer afford to employ us.
    Sorry Jox for breaking into your Thread.
    Last edited by golach; 12-Dec-09 at 15:03.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

So sorry to hear that Golach, especially as you done it more for love than money. How many of the new guides will be able to give a running commentary without the use of an info. sheet?

I'm really sorry to hear that news Golach. Edinburgh's visitors won't get the same insight into what makes the city tick. Short sighted.

It wasn't advertised.

Traditionally the company always promoted staff within the depot, however, on this occassion the area manager decided to give the job to a Uni graduate before it was publicly announced my manager was moving to a new post within the company. I wouldn't have fet so bad had I failed to pass an interview, but it didn't even reach that stage.

I found out today from my outgoing boss that his replacement is the nephew of one of the company directors! I can take heart that it wasn't any fault on my part. I've met my future boss, he came across as a likeable chap, but time will tell how he takes to the real world after years of studying. I'll still give the company 100% because that's how I am, though I may not give the new boss all the info unless he asks for it, and he may not know what to ask.

The scary thing is, he's only 26-I've been in the workforce longer than he's been on this planet.
    The company's action doesn't bode well for the future. Promoting young high flyers is one thing but in your situation the lack of any sort of open process stinks of nepotism of the highest order. I feel for you jox.

Sorry to hear about your job loss golach. I'm not up to spec with recent legislation but you might wish to check that they're not doing something illegal.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123