Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 85

Thread: Hunting

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    In close orbit
    Posts
    4,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    ...It has been shown time and again that people with an interest in guns and or hunting eventually, dissatisfied with killing animals, will inevitably turn their guns on people.

    ...."


    Now that is one of the funniest things I've read on this site in a long while.

    That's like saying it's been shown time and time again that all Ducati riders will eventually join an outlaw biker gang and commit serious offences.....

  2. #22

    Default

    Sorry Ducati but i have to disagree with your views. There are very responsible people out there, who yes have a gun licence and go out hunting, but have you ever thought why these people do this. Its not just for the sake of killing things it is to protect and preserve nature and in turn this protects the beloved land that such wildlife lives on.
    If we as human beings did not take care and mange the land and animals that were on it then certain species would no longer exist.. and yes this maybe what some people think as natures way but since the beginning of time people have been hunting for food, and caring for the land they live on.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Soulsurf View Post
    Sorry Ducati but i have to disagree with your views. There are very responsible people out there, who yes have a gun licence and go out hunting, but have you ever thought why these people do this. Its not just for the sake of killing things it is to protect and preserve nature and in turn this protects the beloved land that such wildlife lives on.
    If we as human beings did not take care and mange the land and animals that were on it then certain species would no longer exist.. and yes this maybe what some people think as natures way but since the beginning of time people have been hunting for food, and caring for the land they live on.
    You will never persude me that to protect animals you should kill them. And I should of thought that responsible people wouldn't feel the need to own guns.

    Guess how many people would have been murdered by Guns in the last 50 years if there were no guns out there owned by the population at large.
    one more in Glasgow today!
    (not that I actually care, its the animals that I feel sorry for)


    I am not a "towny" I have lived in the countryside all my life.

    I have some pretty extreme views on farming to so don't get me started.

    Anyway, I will stop posting on this thread now as I am feeling a bit uncomfortable arguing with a crowd of gun owners.
    Last edited by ducati; 14-Jan-10 at 00:41. Reason: New news story

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,972

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    Guess how many people would have been murdered by Guns in the last 50 years if there were no guns out there owned by the population at large.
    Mr or Mrs Gun?

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,747

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by northener View Post


    Now that is one of the funniest things I've read on this site in a long while.

    That's like saying it's been shown time and time again that all Ducati riders will eventually join an outlaw biker gang and commit serious offences.....
    I aim sic to entertain.

    We have hijacked Boo's thread so lets leave it there.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMountaineer View Post
    If they had it my way all people applying for a firearm licence would be tested for suitability. Firstly the person applying for the firearm licence would be psychologically assessed and a full medical would be given, a full criminal record check would carried out and finally the reason this person requires a firearm will assessed for suitability. This is how I would run things, this would definitely weed out the nutters and psychopaths from gun ownership.
    Crickey, you mean they don't??

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    In close orbit
    Posts
    4,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMountaineer View Post
    If they had it my way all people applying for a firearm licence would be tested for suitability. Firstly the person applying for the firearm licence would be psychologically assessed and a full medical would be given, a full criminal record check would carried out and finally the reason this person requires a firearm will assessed for suitability. This is how I would run things, this would definitely weed out the nutters and psychopaths from gun ownership.
    OK, so how many gun crimes are comitted by legitimate gun owners?

    And I suggest you read up what information the Police require before they will issue an SC or an FAC.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northener View Post
    OK, so how many gun crimes are comitted by legitimate gun owners?

    And I suggest you read up what information the Police require before they will issue an SC or an FAC.
    This is the first Google hit:

    Last August, Mr Foster shot his family before setting fire to their home in Maesbrook, near Oswestry, and shooting himself with a legally held .22 rifle.

    From Sporting Gun Magazine-they are currently up in arms about the police wanting to tag gun owners medical records so GPs can let the police know when they go mad.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    In close orbit
    Posts
    4,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    This is the first Google hit:

    Last August, Mr Foster shot his family before setting fire to their home in Maesbrook, near Oswestry, and shooting himself with a legally held .22 rifle.
    So you're going to base your case on one google hit? I could use that argument to ban rolling pins.
    Handguns were declared illegal after Dunblane. So there are now very few legally held handguns in civilian hands...guess what's happened to the number of handguns in illegal circulation and used in crime since then? So you cannot blame legitimate shooters (or their guns) for that.

    From Sporting Gun Magazine-they are currently up in arms about the police wanting to tag gun owners medical records so GPs can let the police know when they go mad.
    TBH, I'd say that GP's should be notified if their patient is a gun owner and should notify the Police if their is any question over their stability.

    Anyway, like you said, we've hijacked a Hobby thread, bad manners, so no further comment from me on this bit of the .Org.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    near Watten
    Posts
    565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the gourmet View Post
    I know that there is a huge problem with stray cats in the atomic site so you could perhaps send some of these pests to kitty heaven and save a few hundred birds in the process. I think cats without bells are classed as wild animals and you should be okay.
    You are, of course, talking mince. Killing any cat is illegal. I will happily report anyone I knew to be involved in such a crime to the Northern Constabulary.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    In close orbit
    Posts
    4,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luskentyre View Post
    You are, of course, talking mince. Killing any cat is illegal. I will happily report anyone I knew to be involved in such a crime to the Northern Constabulary.
    You're wrong on the law there.

    It is legal to kill feral cats using humane methods, I copied this from the BASC (British Association for Shooting And Conservation) website:


    "The following mammals can be controlled by legally approved methods all year round:
    Fox
    Brown Rat
    Mice*
    Rabbit
    Grey Squirrel
    Mink
    Weasel
    Stoat
    Feral Cat


    * All species except Dormice"

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northener View Post
    You're wrong on the law there.

    It is legal to kill feral cats using humane methods, I copied this from the BASC (British Association for Shooting And Conservation) website:

    This just proves that BASC knows F A about conservation. (Big Surprise!)

    Anyone who knows anything about feral colonies of any species will know the vacuum effect: if you kill off one colony a new one will move in and take over. They are there because it is a good place to be.

    The way to control Feral Cats is to Trap, Neuter and Release.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    In close orbit
    Posts
    4,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    This just proves that BASC knows F A about conservation. (Big Surprise!)

    Anyone who knows anything about feral colonies of any species will know the vacuum effect: if you kill off one colony a new one will move in and take over. They are there because it is a good place to be.

    The way to control Feral Cats is to Trap, Neuter and Release.
    Now, now. It is a list of what can be legally killed.
    Whether it is the most effective method or not is a totally different argument, old chap.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northener View Post
    Now, now. It is a list of what can be legally killed.
    Whether it is the most effective method or not is a totally different argument, old chap.
    Yes I know, its just I would like to see BASC members on the list (and Game Conservancy Council members too).

    The reason they annoy me so, is the names they choose for their organisations.

    The GTMY would be fitting I think. (Gun Toting Moronic Yahoos).

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Caithness
    Posts
    438

    Default

    Surely we have moved on. It does not make it right just because it has always been done. We used to hang people innocent ones as that

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Bucket View Post
    Surely we have moved on. It does not make it right just because it has always been done. We used to hang people innocent ones as that
    You're the one advocating drooning stirkie!

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Frozen North
    Posts
    2,466

    Default

    I was brought up with guns around me most of the time, and it did me no harm. I never enjoyed killing animals, but I have done it for meat for my dog. My dad was a competition rifle shooter, and we had the kit to see to the foxes too, and this was done by moonlight from the comfort of the house on occasion.

    Good days.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boozeburglar View Post
    I was brought up with guns around me most of the time, and it did me no harm.
    Good days.
    Yet- see previous posts for details

  19. #39

    Default time to stop

    I think this wee debate has gone far enough... this aint helping the original request. Yes everybody has a right to express their views but start another thread.. And before you say it, yes i to have commented on this post.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Frozen North
    Posts
    2,466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    Yet- see previous posts for details

    ? I don't get you.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •