Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: £1037.71

Not wanting to take the topic off I received a solicitors letter stating that I underpaid my last account by 50p . I wouldn't be surprised if they have charged me usual rates for writing & posting said letter. Would it not be easier simply to add the 50p onto the next bill ? Crazy...

As for you Ced, sometimes the rules and red tape of bureaucracy just can't see common sense, no matter how plain it may appear.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric Farthsbottom III View Post
    A wee bit more information for ye Aaldtimer.Our council tax bill for the financial year 2009-2010 was £1037.71.To date we have paid £837.71.Me and the wife like to pay the council tax monthly so when it comes to February and March,we have two free months without payments.We have been taken to court for non-payment of council tax.Before I wrote the thread we had phoned the Highland Council to ask for advice.Was told that their hands were tied because they have a system set up.
    What system is set up that it cannot be seen that a man and his wife have paid £837.71 of their council tax.With four months still to go.When as I have said we like the last two months free of any hassles.Yet we have been penalised.At the court,could a wee bit of common sense not be used to see that payments over the months of £837.71 showed that a couple were paying thier council tax.Obviously not.I actually paid an extra £15.71 on my last payment to get rid of the 71p.
    I'm taken to court during these hard times when we are paying our dues.When I'm still reading today in the papers of politicians ripping off expenses.Its an unfair Britain.But here it will be paid as always,we will have a fantastic Christmas as always.
    As far as I know the Highland Council works their Monthly Payments over a 10 month period with the first payment being on the 1st April. Then every other payment to be paid by the 1st of each month with the last payment being paid on the the 1 January.

Since your Council Tax Bill was £1037.71 your Monthly Bill would be £103.77 to be paid by the 1st of each Month. This now being December you should have paid 9 Payments making a total of £933.94.

You say you have paid £837.71 which is over £96 short up to 1st December. So although you have been paying on a regular basis this is not within their rules so they will take you to court for this.

I know it seems that you have 4 months still to pay but in fact you do not as the Council Tax Bill is Due to be paid on the 1st April Unless they agree for you to pay monthly. If you do pay monthly then you MUST pay the full monthly amount on or before the 1st of each month. Even if you pay the full monthly amount each month and pay one of them late they will still take you to court.

So this is why I think they have done this to you and all I can say is next year make sure you pay the Full Monthly amount on or before the 1st of the month and make sure you make the Final payment on or before the 1st of January.
    Last edited by Kodiak; 06-Dec-09 at 21:18.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    As far as I know the Highland Council works their Monthly Payments over a 10 month period with the first payment being on the 1st April. Then every other payment to be paid by the 1st of each month with the last payment being paid on the the 1 January.

Since your Council Tax Bill was £1037.71 your Monthly Bill would be £103.77 to be paid by the 1st of each Month. This now being December you should have paid 9 Payments making a total of £933.94.

You say you have paid £837.71 which is over £96 short up to 1at December. So although you have been paying on a regular basis this is not within their rules so they will take you to court for this.

I know it seems that you have 4 months still to pay but in fact you do not as the Council Tax Bill is Due to be paid on the 1st April Unless they agree for you to pay monthly. If you do pay monthly then you MUST pay the full monthly amount on or before the 1st of each month. Even if you pay the full monthly amount each month and pay one of them late they will still take you to court.

So this is why I think they have done this to you and all I can say is next year make sure you pay the Full Monthly amount on or before the 1st of the month and make sure you make the Final payment on or before the 1st of January.
    Ah Kodiak,but some folk are paid four weekly where thier pay comes in at a different date every month.Sometimes we pay on the first,sometimes we can't,so when I pay my December installment on Tuesday I will have paid £937.71.So therefore I am in credit,common sense.The Council Tax Bill,made and passed by politicians,some have been a wee bit dodgy with thier finances,at least I'm trying to be honest with mine.I have explained my circumstances,but thier hands are tied.
    Their coming to take me away.....haha-hee-hee-ho-ho

Ah Kodiak,but some folk are paid four weekly where thier pay comes in at a different date every month.Sometimes we pay on the first,sometimes we can't,so when I pay my December installment on Tuesday I will have paid £937.71.So therefore I am in credit,common sense.The Council Tax Bill,made and passed by politicians,some have been a wee bit dodgy with thier finances,at least I'm trying to be honest with mine.I have explained my circumstances,but thier hands are tied.
    The Highland Council make no compensation on how people are paid. They say that if you pay your Council Tax monthly then the first Payment must be paid on or before the 1st of April, then every other payment on or before the 1st of each month with the last payment being paid on or before the 1st January.

The Highland Council sticks to this and they will not change. I know many people have been caught out on this but if you are forewarned then you should be able to make arrangements in the future.

What I do to counteract this system is to start my Council Tax Payments on the 1st March, one month early, and then try to keep to a regular Monthly Paymeny. So even if I silp a week or two during the period I always have my Council Tax Paid on time. I actually paid my Final Payment last week so I am now in the clear.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    The Highland Council make no compensation on how people are paid. They say that if you pay your Council Tax monthly then the first Payment must be paid on or before the 1st of April, then every other payment on or before the 1st of each month with the last payment being paid on or before the 1st January.

The Highland Council sticks to this and they will not change. I know many people have been caught out on this but if you are forewarned then you should be able to make arrangements in the future.

What I do to counteract this system is to start my Council Tax Payments on the 1st March, one month early, and then try to keep to a regular Monthly Paymeny. So even if I silp a week or two during the period I always have my Council Tax Paid on time. I actually paid my Final Payment last week so I am now in the clear.
    Well I'm not gonnae counteract the system,I will pay my council tax every month.When its fine for me and my family.It has to be paid off in January.Thats true.For me and the wife like February and March without any Council tax hassles.

A freebie.I know how politicians like a freebie.If say some politician,with an ounce of common sense.Changed the date for a monthly council tax to be the 30th or 31st of that month.Would that not give the normal punter a decent chance.So instead of the 1st April it was the 30th,May would be the 31st and so on,folk would still pay off by January.

A freebie.I know how politicians like a freebie.If say some politician,with an ounce of common sense.Changed the date for a monthly council tax to be the 30th or 31st of that month.Would that not give the normal punter a decent chance.So instead of the 1st April it was the 30th,May would be the 31st and so on,folk would still pay off by January.
    Confront them in Gaelic on how unfair it is you might stand a chance Cedric.

Quote Originally Posted by tonkatojo View Post
    Confront them in Gaelic on how unfair it is you might stand a chance Cedric.
    The court got £20 off me and the wife Tonks.So at least it'll pay for a stapler or a couple of A4 pads of printer paper.They'll probably use it for stamps.The Cooncil are most welcome,I will be council tax paid off by the end of January.As we always are.

I never understand why they say u can pay monthly when your not really because your paying everything of in 10 months rather than 12 i never understand that but if u miss a payment the council can ask u to pay the full amount whether u like it or not
    What i do is i pay my council tax online a lot easier and i can keep a record of it

Quote Originally Posted by EDDIE View Post
    I never understand why they say u can pay monthly when your not really because your paying everything of in 10 months rather than 12 i never understand that but if u miss a payment the council can ask u to pay the full amount whether u like it or not
    What i do is i pay my council tax online a lot easier and i can keep a record of it
    I don't like paying things online.I like the personal touch.I like the smile ye get when ye hand over yer money over the counter.The laugh ye have wi a lassie ye don't know in the Market Square office when ye hand over the 71p.

Thumbs down

Thanks for the explanation Ced. I pay mine by Direct Debit so the situation doesn't arise, but have sympathy with your predicament, bloody red tape and computer systems, no human leeway!
    "Life is a sexually transmitted disease, with 100% fatality." R.D.Laing

My house is ex-Council and I agreed to pay my share of repairs that were necessary. I agreed to this in writing. I then received the invoice. I phoned them and said that I had agreed to pay, I will pay, but I will not pay until the work has been carried out. No sign of the work being done and it is now three months later!

I know someone else who was hounded for £1.24. It cost them more to send the letters than just to wait the week and get the £1.24 on his next payment.

Slight double standards with our esteemed Council!

At HQ I have actually seen a clerk type in a change of address to the computer system for the old poll tax as:- Plot no ## Tomnahurich Cemetry Inverness in order to stop the new tenant of a house the previous tenant had died in and having no family had been buried by the state. He owed £1.34 and they kept persuing the new tenant until this helpful soul found the way round it. I often wondered if the plot is now over run with damand letters for the poll tax.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

Quote Originally Posted by Amy-Winehouse View Post
    Highland council dinna get me started lol had problems about 8 years ago way my council tax and said i had rent arrears for a house i had never lived in took me ages to sort it out still had to pay £110 pound arrears for a house i didnt live in just to get peace!!
    More fool you.

I wouldn't part with a penny I didn't owe.

What's the worst that could happen?

It's not often I would do so, but for once I have to stick up for the council. They are incredibly flexible when it comes to ways to pay the council tax.

As I'm paid weekly and terrible at managing money I have opted to pay weekly by standing order. I'm always in total control of the money leaving my account, they cannot make an error and take too much too soon (as they have in the past when I paid monthly by direct debit).

They offer a whole range of ways of making payments :

• direct debit
    • standing order
    • directly into the Council's bank accounts by BACS or HOBS
    • In person at the HQ Cash Collection Office or Service Points
    • by debit or credit card on telephone number (0845) 602 4232. If calling from overseas, please telephone +44 (0)1463 702484
    • by debit or credit card on the Highland Council website
    • sending cheques and postal orders made payable to Highland Council to:

Director of Finance
    The Highland Council
    Exchequer Section
    PO Box 5650
    Inverness
    IV3 5YX

Full details at : http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcounc...akingpayments/

And it's worth remembering that the more folks that don't pay the more we all have to pay to make up the shortfall!
    The box said, "Requires Windows XP or better"...

... so I installed Ubuntu!

Default Hi

Pay nothin them on dole does the same only the tax payers is it fare

Quote Originally Posted by EDDIE View Post
    we pay ours over the 12 months of the year, you get the option now to o it either 10 or 12, i coulnt stand going into the rent office ever week an paying it in cash it would break my heart, but such as life it has to be done.
    "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." - Marilyn Monroe

We pay by standing order on the 1st of each month for 10 months. Was informed today that standing orders are being phased out and direct debits must be used. Also informed that garage rentals are to be paid on direct debit in future three months in advance. That is a huge sum at almost £10 per week to find suddenly overnight. At least the two months council tax free will go towards the first big garage payment in April.

We are on benefits, but still have to pay council tax.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

Exclamation

Last year I overpaid my council tax and when it came to the next financial year they never automatically carried the payment over. I was told it was because in a way it is a new account for each year. So watch out!! The thing that really annoys me is that if I missed a payment they would soon notice that.

Well Tuesday paid oor court fine and oor monthly cooncil tax.£957.71.Next year we're going Direct Debit,less hassle.Cheers all.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast