Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 Problem

Default Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 Problem

I bought this game at the weekend and it installs ok on the PC which is up to spec for the game but the in-game lettering is like digitalised hiroglyphics and totally illegible . I've managed to guess my way to the guts of the game but it really is unplayable unless I can read it. I've read through the technical stuff and nothing seems to apply to my problem.

Can anyone help? Appreciation in advance.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Can you fire up a screen shot?

What graphics card do you have?

Think you've got an ATI graphics card and need to update the drivers - http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...3095921AAi1nj9

More info at http://modernwarfare2forums.net/view...5f214&start=10

Yea most likely problem.

OK thanks very much, will look into it. I did update driver to graphics card this summer but since then I keep getting a message on start up to update my ATI graphics card driver or register new driver with ATI catalyst or summat but I don't know how to do that.
    Last edited by Rheghead; 02-Dec-09 at 21:07.

how much mem does the graphics card have?? [it will tell you upon boot]

if its not greater than 500Mb then it wont like it much.

dx
    Private Electronic Workshop in Wick - send us a PM
    **WE NOW DO REPAIRS AND CRACKED SCREENS ON MANY PHONES & TABLETS**
    PC virus/ransomware/data recovery/repair & service
    also Private marine & CB/Amateur radio repairs

I've update the latest driver for the graphics card ATI radeon 2300 and the latest ATI catalyst thingy whatever that is and still no joy. There was a choice of 64 or 32 version of Vista I can't figure out how to find out which one I have so I opted for 64.

I couldn't how much memory I have but it says upto 1024 mb on top of m/c

your processor IS capable of 64bit, but i doubt you have a 64bit OS loaded.

if you right click my computer and hit properties
    that with tell you the version [32bit or 64 bit] of the operating systen you have installed.
    if it IS 32 bit , tyhe driver you have got is the wrong one.

as a side note: i have the same processor and recently went over to 64 bit OS, makes a hell of a diff!!!

dx
    Private Electronic Workshop in Wick - send us a PM
    **WE NOW DO REPAIRS AND CRACKED SCREENS ON MANY PHONES & TABLETS**
    PC virus/ransomware/data recovery/repair & service
    also Private marine & CB/Amateur radio repairs

I've loaded the 32 bit version of ATI catalyst and windows says I've got the latest driver for the graphics card. I still can't read the menus although the digital hiroglyphs have changed colour to a pinky colour.

Why can't MS come out with an operating system that recognises the requirements of your software and load the drivers to suit it without any need to mess about?

Any other ideas? thanks

Have you tried lowering the resoloution ?

Disable all the high end graphics options, if you can see them and start with the minimum settings. Bring them back up and may help you find wich setting it doesn't like.

You may be able to do this without going into game. Check the start/programes/CODMW2 or whatever the group is called and look for grapics settings.
    STAY IN TUNE

No option settings facility without going into game I'm afraid. The game seems to set a low resolution before launching like it was windows 95 all over again.

Reg from what i can see on forums Ati users are getting better results using ccc 9.3 you should be able to get this from file hippo. if not it may be a case of waiting until they patch the game.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...1023257&page=3

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    No option settings facility without going into game I'm afraid. The game seems to set a low resolution before launching like it was windows 95 all over again.
    Ask a silly question do u ever sometimes wonder if its more trouble than its worth playing games on a pc with software problems and cost of upgrades and better just to use an xbox or playstation for games.

Quote Originally Posted by EDDIE View Post
    Ask a silly question do u ever sometimes wonder if its more trouble than its worth playing games on a pc with software problems and cost of upgrades and better just to use an xbox or playstation for games.

Many times , i think there are certain games that work best (i don't mean performance wise ) on the pc, keyboard and mouse. allow for alot more i recon, then thers the modding aspect of pc gaming, new maps, senarios etc comming out daily / weekly, that can keep a pc game going for a very long time, unlike a Xbox live who charge for any dlc, granted alot if it is good, but you can end up paying out £100 for 1 game to keep up to date.
    STAY IN TUNE

Unfortunately, space is a premium in the house and OH is very tidy so I can't have a console lying about with a computer sat there occupying the only desk and doing nowt, but yes I've often wondered why I persevere with pc format, it really is a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Unfortunately, space is a premium in the house and OH is very tidy so I can't have a console lying about with a computer sat there occupying the only desk and doing nowt, but yes I've often wondered why I persevere with pc format, it really is a pain.
    I used to game a lot on pc and found it expensive to keep upgrading the computer when ever the latest games came out so i opted for a laptop and it didnt need to be expensive because i wasnt gameing with it and use a ps3 for gaming and lease with the ps3 the games are designed for the console the only downside with xbox and ps3 is the controllers take a bit to get used to if they made these console keyboard and mouse for games optional they would have had first class console that has the potential of converting more pc gamers over.
    The call of duty modern warfare 2 ive finished it already its a brilliant game the worst thing with playing these call of duty games is the graphics is that good so when u play other games it makes them look crap
    I used to notice that the odd game that would work on a nividia card wouldnt work on Ati card all you can do is try messing about with the graphics card settings or have u antivrus or spyware running in the background that could effect it.
    How long have u had the graphics card reason im saying that is they do go out of date quite quickly in relation to playing the latest games
    Last edited by EDDIE; 05-Dec-09 at 10:38.

Can anyone suggest where I can get the latest drivers for this Graphics card?

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2300 HyperMemory

I'm using Vista 32 bit on a laptop

I was trying to find where I last downloaded the last driver but can't find it and the ATI support website doesn't list this card. The choice of 'alternative' driver download sites is like sensory overload on the eyes. Device manager says I've got the latest driver but how do I know for sure?

I've since loaded Photoshop CS4 and it says I need to download the latest driver but where and how??

Thanks
    Last edited by Rheghead; 06-Dec-09 at 03:14.

On that ati website it says if there is no drivers you have to go to the maker of the laptops website for the drivers for that laptop.What make is your laptop?
    The other you could do is you could run your recover disk in and that will put the original graphics driver in or as last attempt you could uninstall the graphics driver completety and that would make your laptop use the primary graphics driver and then do an update of the graphics driver and see what happens.
    But i would go to the makers of the laptop website first.
    Came across this website

http://www.windows-vista-update.com/...ows-Vista.html
    Last edited by EDDIE; 06-Dec-09 at 11:14.

Thanks Eddie for your help, I've tried with the Acer site with a aspire 7720G update on the graphics card and still no joy. I uninstalled previous driver as well before trying. My CS4 is working now though so not all bad.