Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Thirsty birds

Default Thirsty birds

I just want to remind everybody to put out fresh water for the birds on these frosty mornings. A bird without his morning drink is like me without my morning cuppa. While my kettle's boiling, I head out to the feeding station with water they won't break their beaks on.

Thats well reminded Anji !
    I do try to keep the bird bath in our garden clean and with fresh water, but after all yon strong winds hid soon gets filled up wi' dead leaves !

I mind a couple o' Christmas mornings ago, when it was really hard frost, going out wi' boiling water to defrost their wee bird bath even afore I got a cuppa in me and opened Santa's presents - now thats dedication I tell ya !!!!!!

Smile

Before you opened your pressies?
    That is what I call dedication. Well done!

Thank you Anji, also thanks for your "Good Rep" !

I always put out "Owld Bried" as well - and at this time o' year, its always the robin to come down first......

Oh forgot 2 say that the other day, a heron actually flew over our back garden at a height of roughly 15 ft. SO, SO, neat to be able to see such a sight - I think he/she was heading for the coast line as we live so close by to same.

Just wanted to bump up Anji's thread !

Went out this afternoon after spying a couple o' wee birds looking frustrated whilst sitting on our bird bath, just to find it frozen solid!

A good kettle-full o' hot water on it and they soon came back for a drink, I'll be out again in the morning with the kettle before heading off to The Northern Sands Hotel in Dunnet for a yummy Christmas Carvery.

Merry Christmas to all who look after our beautiful wee birds, be it winter, spring, summer or autumn !!
    Last edited by cherokee; 24-Dec-09 at 16:42.
    I'm the kind of woman whose feet hit the floor each morning, and the Devil says........... " Oh, Blast She's Up !! "

Smile

Thanks for the bump!
    The way the weather has been lately, I've been putting fresh water out two or three times a day, because it doesn't take long to freeze. Yesterday, I got the hint when a starling started drinking the drops falling off the edge of the shed.

It is so frustrating how quickly the birdies' drinking water freezes up just now.

A very Merry Christmas to my fellow bird feeders. It is lovely to see them tucking them into seeds, sunflower hearts and fat balls.