Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Checkout Kommandants

Tesco has had a 'one in front' policy for years.

It is basically a promise that if there is more that one person in front of you in a queue, then they will open another untill such a time as all checkouts are open.

Nothing in the least bit sinister, just an acknowledgement that we hate queues.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

so they are cameras then and not infra red sensors

Quote Originally Posted by changilass View Post

It is basically a promise that if there is more that one person in front of you in a queue, then they will open another untill such a time as all checkouts are open.

There's nothing wrong with the system, but the way it's monitored never looked fair to me and always caused a great deal of stress.

Quote Originally Posted by changilass View Post

Yeah, but knowing my luck the one second in my queue would only have a few small items(No its because youre ugly) And the one in front of me in the new queue would have a skip full.

Quote Originally Posted by northener View Post
    I don't think they go far enough.

I believe that many of the customers need herding with electric cattle prods, as they're quite incapable of being in the store without blocking the aisles whilst wittering away to their halfwit chums.

Many seem unable to differentiate between queueing at a till for the purpose of purchasing goods and standing at a till slack-jawed and dribbling whilst they fanny around with 37 outdated coupons (from Asda or Lidl) and then begin trying to find a two pence piece in the botton corner of their overstuffed bag rather than break into a twenty pence piece, whilst all the time droning on about the lack of small independant retailers in Wick and what that woman said up the street about the cat in Dempster Street and how Satanists are planning on opening a vegetarian laundry in Pulteneytown.

They should all be taken to a railway siding, loaded into trucks and......

.....and relax......
    When does this vegetarian laundry open and will it be staffed by one legged,left handed,lesbian dwarf satanists or just your regular satanists?
    Don`t bother "repping" me it`s turned off.

Quote Originally Posted by miknhev View Post
    When does this vegetarian laundry open
    Christmas Eve. They were originally aiming for Hallow'een, but the goat escaped and they've only just managed to get a replacement.

and will it be staffed by one legged,left handed,lesbian dwarf satanists or just your regular satanists?
    Regular Satanists for now, we they've stated that one legged lesbian dwarves will be employed in the Thurso branch, as there's lots of them up there*.

No left-handers though, they're just plain wierd fowk.

* This is not an attempt to ridicule persons of restricted growth with mobility issues whose sexual preferences may incline them to bat for the other side. Some of my best friends fall into this category.....but not left-handers, no way, they should be ruthlessly hunted down and burnt at the stake for their un-natural goings on.

So there.

as there's lots of them up there

Ah ha, blatant discrimination again. Pandering to the majority.

What about the cross dressing gender confused alcohol dependant disenfranchised individuals????

ooops, wrong thread, sorry. Carry on........

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    .........What about the cross dressing gender confused alcohol dependant disenfranchised individuals????.......
    Nice of you to stick up fer me, Phill. But I've already got a job.

Nice of you to stick up fer me, Phill. But I've already got a job.

Hmmm, I've heard about this "job" apparently you've been seen hanging around street corners at night waiting for "business".

Quote Originally Posted by Bazeye View Post
    I was struggling to get an assistants attention in B&Q last summer, they were either all too busy or ignoring me so I lit a ciggie up. Within 5seconds of doing so I had the attention of three assistants, so I nipped it and put it back in the tin and asked them where the fluro tubes were.

PS. The wife didnt speak to me for the rest of the day. Double result.
    High five!

When shopping in Tesco in Thurso I always aim for the checkout nearest the loo as that is my next stop after packing the bags. When they started trying to herd me to the checkout next to the kiosk I stood my ground and explained to the lady trying to herd me about the reasons why. When she insisted I go to the bottom end of the shop I told her I was going to the loo and if she didn`t want the place at a standstill she would need to put my stuff on the conveyor, pack it when it was scanned and I would be back to pay for it when the job was done.....I have never been herded since.......and her bag packing was atrocious!!

I also stand my ground in Lidl and refuse to pay until my stuff is packed and safely in the trolley.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

Quote Originally Posted by poppett View Post
    I also stand my ground in Lidl and refuse to pay until my stuff is packed and safely in the trolley.
    Sorry Lidls is a different situation. They employ fewer staff to keep prices down. While you are standing your ground you are also holding up the people in the queue behind you - oh not to mention ruining the stats of the checkout operator. Can you not just put your stuff in the trolley, pay quickly and pack it at the wide windowsills designed for packing?
    Tesco is so infuriating - I choose which till I want to go to for various reasons. I know they are only doing their job so I don't complain when herded but it is so annoying. One of the main reasons I avoid the 10 items or less tills is because 99% of the time they don't give you the option to pack. Wick Tesco is bad in general for packing your stuff when you don't want them to. I am too shy to ask them not to. What I really don't understand is why the company instructs them to pack but gives them no training on how to pack stuff properly (well this could go further back to why do most checkout operators have no common sense whatsoever when packing groceries).
    And don't get me started on bag packers in the Co-op.

Cant people pack their own bags, its not that hard is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    Sorry Lidls is a different situation. They employ fewer staff to keep prices down. While you are standing your ground you are also holding up the people in the queue behind you - oh not to mention ruining the stats of the checkout operator. Can you not just put your stuff in the trolley, pay quickly and pack it at the wide windowsills designed for packing?
    Tesco is so infuriating - I choose which till I want to go to for various reasons. I know they are only doing their job so I don't complain when herded but it is so annoying. One of the main reasons I avoid the 10 items or less tills is because 99% of the time they don't give you the option to pack. Wick Tesco is bad in general for packing your stuff when you don't want them to. I am too shy to ask them not to. What I really don't understand is why the company instructs them to pack but gives them no training on how to pack stuff properly (well this could go further back to why do most checkout operators have no common sense whatsoever when packing groceries).

whats wrong with the bag packers at the co-op's ??

I just ignore them if they try to herd me to a queue I don't want to go to for one reason or another, not had any probs yet

is it just me or do the Thurso tesco's get a backhander from the brew for some of the people they employ, but also want to say that the majority of them are lovely people!
    Last edited by Bobinovich; 06-Dec-09 at 01:56. Reason: Post above removed - this post edited as it referred to it

Slightly off topic, but bear with me, on the subject of Lidl.

When in Lidl I ensure all of my shopping is on the conveyor before the operator starts scanning, even if it means letting folk with a few bits go in front of me. I pack as it is scanned, obviously it is on the conveyor in the order it is going in the bags, but there are always a couple of items at the end which i pack before paying. I have never held up a huge queue but before I learned to stand my ground have had goods damaged with other things being thrown on top of them. Shopping is a trauma for me as I do not have the energy to manhandle the goods two or three times and the management have no complaint with me. I am sure they prefer my way to having me collapse in the shop, which did happen some years ago when put under pressure by staff (no longer there).
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post

tesco policy is to pack the 1st and last bag...this is to help the customer...the first to give them chance to unload their shopping onto the belt...and the last to allow them time to get their payment ready....if the customer doesnt want help all they need to do is say....its part of the mystery shopper measures that they physically and verbally offer help.....again damned if they do ....damned if they dont...
    SMILE IT CONFUSES PEOPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Mr P Cannop View Post
    whats wrong with the bag packers at the co-op's ??
    it the co op... they struggle to say hello let alone pack a bag.....
    SMILE IT CONFUSES PEOPLE

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy1 View Post
    it the co op... they struggle to say hello let alone pack a bag.....
    Agreed! I went to the coop last week for marzipan and the woman at the counter couldnt even crack a smile, or make eye contact. Dont worry people smiling is free!!
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

I don't think they go far enough.

I believe that many of the customers need herding with electric cattle prods, as they're quite incapable of being in the store without blocking the aisles whilst wittering away to their halfwit chums.

Many seem unable to differentiate between queueing at a till for the purpose of purchasing goods and standing at a till slack-jawed and dribbling whilst they fanny around with 37 outdated coupons (from Asda or Lidl) and then begin trying to find a two pence piece in the botton corner of their overstuffed bag rather than break into a twenty pence piece, whilst all the time droning on about the lack of small independant retailers in Wick and what that woman said up the street about the cat in Dempster Street and how Satanists are planning on opening a vegetarian laundry in Pulteneytown.

They should all be taken to a railway siding, loaded into trucks and......

.....and relax......
    Ye can't relax until after the Chrissy rush min,,wait til ye see them,,bumbling around like weeble pinball all speaking to their sky high spirit guides in Klingon who seem to want whats not invented yet that could possibly be in the bakery aisle! an will ye need batteries ?? Who knows.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast