Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: So what happened?

Default So what happened?

The advent of nuclear power, and specifically Dounreay, back in the 50's was supposed to herald a new age of cheap or free electricity for all, yet here we are in the 21st Century paying through the nose for our electric. So what happened then? Was it over-optimism by Government and scientists or were other factors involved.

This thread isn't about the pros and cons of nuclear versus coal versus gas versus wind turbines so please don't turn it into an argument. I just want to know why we never got what was envisaged.

I think there probably was a lot of over-optimism. Although I don't go back that far I suspect there was a desire in the post-war period to try to raise peoples' spirits. Dounreay turned out to be successful technically and scientifically but the government in the 1980s lacked the motivation and the balls to go ahead with fast reactors. I wonder what decision would have been made if the climate change issue had reared its head thirty years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by oldchemist View Post
    I think there probably was a lot of over-optimism. Although I don't go back that far I suspect there was a desire in the post-war period to try to raise peoples' spirits. Dounreay turned out to be successful technically and scientifically but the government in the 1980s lacked the motivation and the balls to go ahead with fast reactors. I wonder what decision would have been made if the climate change issue had reared its head thirty years ago?
    Either that or Governments tell lies.

Nah, the conservative's conned us into thinking so, but all they want power for is so they can,get businesses money money money, unfortunately new labour have succumbed to that philosophy too.
    Why do you think that woman privatised all the utilities ??

England are now rushing through 10 new nuclear stations. The Scots Government has decided nuclear is not for us.

Default h

its all about the toffs making more again

Quote Originally Posted by sharona View Post
    its all about the toffs making more again
    Is that the estate landlord getting cash for those allowing windmills or the crown estate getting loads for these marine generators ??. where does these help the ordinary folk pay the bills.