Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Buzzard loose.

Budgies, canaries et al, were wild once, is it okay to breed them just so someone can keep them in a wee cage, I've heard of parrots plucking their feathers out through sheer depression?
    Better these wild birds live the good life at porshies place rather than die in the wild where they can't survive.
    Last edited by pultneytooner; 23-Apr-06 at 10:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead
    Porshie, let me get this straight,

You call me ignorant and insensitive, yet we BOTH agree that keeping these birds is the wrong thing to do, AND you admit to making your feelings quite clear to your husband and daughter AND you say that you keeping these birds is no worse than keeping them in a sanctuary yet you slag them off for not being up to scratch AND like me you have thought that it may be kinder to let them go free AND YOU have the gall to call me insensitive and ignorant?

Personally, my position is that these birds should have been left in the wild to fend for themselves, they are wild animals afterall. It is cruel to shelter these animals.
    Hmmm, on quite a high horse there aren't you Rheghead!
    First off, I never said keeping these birds is 'wrong', I said I don't particularly like the idea of birds in aviaries however these are rescue birds.
    Yes, I have made my feelings clear to my husband and kids that I don't like seeing birds inaviaries, however even I can see that these birds do need to be aviaries.
    With reference to the sanctuaries, I was merely pointing out that in your uneducated ignorance on this particular matter, our place is a damn sight better than the squalor that some of these birds came from.

When exactly did I say it would be kinder to let them go free Rheghead?
    What I did say, which you would know if you weren't so blinkered and ignorant is that I would love for this bird to manage to survive in the wild. However, we know that is highly unlikely.

Cruel to shelter these animals Rheghead?
    Have you no pets or never had any pets?
    Remember, we didn't rescue these birds from the wild, sanctuaries did. All we did was give them a home so that the sanctuaries can go on helping those that need it more than the ones that are now healthy albeit unable to be released.

Finally, yes you are insensitive. That was no need for a remark like the one you made re the eagle owl and now the buzzard, we all know what you meant and what you were inferring.
    Having an opinion is one thing but yours is based on ignorant idealism, you make snap judgements without knowing the facts so therefore yes, I think you are ignorant, insensitive, nasty and a million and one other things that I would get banned if I called you on here.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by webmannie
    Firstly don't assume i'm an imbecile, I had read your previous postings, do you honestly think I am endorsing that a bird with one wing should be released?

Think you better revisit my responses. I said

You are 'banging your head against a brick wall' because you did not supply the full facts
    Well then you must be an imbecile because if you'd read those postings properly you would see that I stated from the start that this bird, or the others, cannot be re-released.
    So your comments about releasing it can only be taken the same as Rhegheads, ignorant idealism with no knowledge other than a snippet you find on the web of what you're actually talking about.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by porshiepoo
    Yes, I have made my feelings clear to my husband and kids that I don't like seeing birds inaviaries
    Then you are no different to me, I don't either.

When exactly did I say it would be kinder to let them go free Rheghead?
    I never said that you said that you think it is kinder to let them go free, I meant to say that you have wrestled with the ethics of letting them go free, quite different.

Cruel to shelter these animals Rheghead?
    Have you no pets or never had any pets?
    A different arguement altogether, as you said, these are recue birds from other sources or the wild, they are not breeds, they are species.
    Remember, we didn't rescue these birds from the wild, sanctuaries did. All we did was give them a home so that the sanctuaries can go on helping those that need it more than the ones that are now healthy albeit unable to be released.
    You are just perpetuating the captivity of an animal that has no reason to be in captivity

Finally, yes you are insensitive. That was no need for a remark like the one you made re the eagle owl and now the buzzard, we all know what you meant and what you were inferring.
    Quite possibly, but you are irresponsible to the birds that you are keeping, how many more birds need to escape from your sanctuary in the next 6 months for you to accept that you are irresponsible? 1? 2? 10? So far your track record has not been good.

I've done now with this thread before it degenerates anymore. I hope you find your buzzard and that your daughter feels a lot better.
    Last edited by Rheghead; 23-Apr-06 at 11:18.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quite possibly, but you are irresponsible to the birds that you are keeping, how many more birds need to escape from your sanctuary in the next 6 months for you to accept that you are irresponsible? 1? 2? 10? So far your track record has not been good.

In all the years that my husband has had these birds, we've had 2 escapees including this one. The other one as you know was caught almost on it's deathbed and taken to Balmore where they looked after him till we got there.
    To me, thats not such a bad track record.

You have only resorted to stooping to personal attacks that aren't warranted, which I haven't, mine are warranted by your own admission.
    [/QUOTE]

We both know your initial comment was a personal attack disguised as 'observation' and certainly not 'warranted'.

Never the mind though. I accept we're all going to have different ideals and views on this subject. My only hope is that this situation is rectified in whatever way is best for the bird.

To all of you who have sent me messages of support, thank you, it's very nice to hear.

Jings, this buzzard HAS caused a bit of a flap

Cool

No cats or elephants involved either for a change? surely someone can bring them into the equation?

Well then you must be an imbecile because if you'd read those postings properly you would see that I stated from the start that this bird, or the others, cannot be re-released.
    So your comments about releasing it can only be taken the same as Rhegheads, ignorant idealism with no knowledge other than a snippet you find on the web of what you're actually talking about.
    You never stated from the start why this bird could not be released, you stated that it had been released and then re-captured because it could not fend for itself. Why couldn't it?

Due to carelessness, we will never know if it could fend for itself, it will most likely be found tethered to a tree or fencepost, hopefully sooner rather than later.

I don't personally care what your thoughts of me are, if it makes you feel better about the situation then lash at it. I asked you not to make me out an imbecile because you inferred that i advocated releasing a one winged bird and a razor wired bird to the wild.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Roses
    No cats or elephants involved either for a change? surely someone can bring them into the equation?
    Not true go back a bit.
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

I just have one question to ask you all .

Do you ever see a buzzard or a barn owl for sale in a pet shop ?

Porshiepoo, I can see where you are coming from. I totally agree with what you are achieving with the help and care you are giving these animals. There is nothing wrong with keeping animals in captivity provoded they are given the correct form of care and attention.

Is it wrong then to keep animals in zoos? Perhaps we should all release our own pets into the wild after all this is where they started off isn't it?

Keep up the good work porshiepoo.

unicorn Guest

Regardless of everyone's thoughts on whether it is correct or not to keep this bird in captivity, I hope you get it back very soon as with that leash dangling he could obviously be in a great deal of trouble and I am sure nobody would wish that on any animal.

My daughter has sighted the bird a while ago.
    She literally came in crying and collapsed at the side of the settee. She said she was crying out of sheer relief that it's still alive and joy at seeing it. The lead is still attatched which is giving great cause for concern, but the good thing is she's stayed within the boundaries of our property and the next so we're hoping for a good result.

Thanks again for all your support.
    I have to admit it's not nice to hear of people making derogatory comments about this but if it's something Rheghead et al feel passionate about then they have a right to voice it, I would just have preferred them to have opened their own topic on the rights of wrongs of captive animals and not jumped on this band wagon.

unicorn Guest

thats good news then lets just hope it gets hungry enough to come back easily.

I really do hope the bird comes back. This reminds me of the film Kes. Quite a sad film about a boy's obsession with a kestrel which he hand reared.
    Good luck.

unicorn Guest

A kestrel for a knave was the name of the book, we had to read it in english It really was a good story.

gawd, lay off porshiepoo - she didn't hatch the eggs and keep them in a cage - someone else did that! It seems to me that all she is doing is caring for birds who were already unreleasable - what's wrong with that?

I'm sure the birds would rather be fed, watered, exercised, and safe from harm - than dead, even if it is not the natural order of things. I, myself, say stuff the natural order of things - these birds were not brought up naturally (btw hello - this is not porshie's fault) so if they can have a protected, safe life now with someone willing to do it - great! ok, we all agree it's not ideal - but this is not a perfect world - all birds do not have both their wings and lucky for him that it's not his death sentence!

(Is it just me, or is the wrong person taking all the flack for bird captivity?)

Anyhoo, rant over! Glad the bird is ok and hope you get it home safe and sound soon.

Default Buzzard loose

I really hope you manage to find the buzzard safe and well, if not only for the birds sake, but also for your daughters, it shows what careing people you are, good luck

It seems to me that an awful lot of people with very few facts are willing to be disparaging of others actions.

I can see that an attitude of, "I don't like it so you shouldn't be doing it." is alive and growing.

Modern Society would do well to remember the words of Thomas Babbington Macauley in 1843, "We know of no spectacle so ridiculous as the British public in one of it's periodical moods of morality."

And how that ridiculous spectacle is growing. We are becoming a society so wrapped up in our own egos that we cannot help but lecture others on their lack of moral behaviour when compared to our own.
    How smug and self congratulatory we sometimes are in our belief that we are so superior in our morality that others who believe differently.

Personally, I am absolutely horrified that anybody should partake of anything with an egg in it. I believe eggs should be allowed their freedom to live or rot as nature intended.
    I am also horrified at the slaughter of wild things which have occurred to make each drop of water we drink!

Oh how condemnatory I can be when I set my mind to it. You should all be ashamed of yourselves. Think of all those poor creatures you will thoughtlessly crush underfoot when you walk round tomorrow and how many wee things you will slaughter with your Hoovering, polishing and dusting.

I feel so ashamed of myself that I am going to be forced to release my elephant before I am condemned looking after it! At least I'll have a bit more room in my bed when I do!

I don't care what you are doing but I think it is absolutely disgraceful and should be banned immediately! Whatever it is, stop it at one because it offends my sensibilities!
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

On the sanctimonial higher moral highground again, jaws?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast