Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shocking 'treatment' in Tescos!

Question Shocking 'treatment' in Tescos!

Well it's been some time since I last posted...but I just felt the need to inquire as to whether it's just my problem...or do other people suffer too???

I suffer from really bad static electricity shocks in Tescos (wick). I know that I may be prone to suffer such shocks (usually after traveling for a long period of time) and on closing the car door. Having studied for a Science degree, I'm aware of what causes these things but was just curious as to whether other people suffer like me.

Sometimes, it can take as little as 1minute, to suffer from such a shock when I enter Tescos (Wick). I'm not talking just a wee shock, but last time I was in (and I'm always moaning to my Mum about this) my Mum actually saw the spark come off me as I touched....and subsequently trashed the display of shower gel in Tescos.

I'm not trying to be melodramatic....but the sparks can be visibly noticed...and on touching something I get such a shock which makes me physically jump and drop whatever I was holding in the first place! I am only glad that I wasn't buying firelighters' :-S

I know that pushing a trolley can indeed contribute to such shocks, as can the floor coverings in a shop...so..... was just wondering.....is it JUST me?????! Replies would be greatly appreciated I have to admit, it's worse in the clothing appartment.

Incidentally...I have NO problem in Tescos (Inverness).
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own.

Gloves and rubber soles on your shoes should do the trick
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

Hubby is the same but it is the trolleys he gets them from, he is kind enough to touch me and share
    @,'---.................................................. ---',@
    ~*~Believe In The Magic Of Your Dreams~*~
    ---',@................................................. . @',---

Question Static electricity

Sadly this is not true! I have rubber soles on my shoes...apparently I should be wearing leather soles and holding a key whilst touching some metal rack in the shop..to discharge the electricity without feeling the pain..I'm gonna look like a right div!

Anybody else in a similar situation...was just wondering whether it's the floor in the Wick shop??
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own.

Yes it's usually the trolleys I get the shocks from too....How sweet he feels the need to share with you :-) Hmmmm I had never thought of 'sharing' it :-)) lol that gives me an evil plan.

Lightbulb

Woofit, I think you'll find the static is coming FROM you and going to earth by whatever you touch. It must generated in some way by the clothing you wear, acrylic /man-made materials maybe?
    "Life is a sexually transmitted disease, with 100% fatality." R.D.Laing

It usually happens to me within the clothing area in tescos Wick and Inverness, I take great enjoyment shocking the kids and wife when we go round.

Rubber soles will make it worse.You want to be discharging yourself, not insulating.
    Try wearing those jeans that drag on the ground at the heel !!

I used to get bad shocks closing my car door. You could see and hear the spark. ( And feel it!! )
    I got used to closing the door with my elbow.
    Much better than discharging through flesh !

hehe...the plot thickens! Aaldtimer- I'm under no illusion that the static is coming from me! I can however, be dressed in mostly cotton...and still have a shocking experience...I also realise that by pushing a metal trolley against a man-made floor...you are asking for trouble!

I constantly get that too!!

I was through on Sunday and in the end i had my mum push the trolley and i touched nothing because it was getting so bad.

But its only in wick tesco that i get this!
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lazytown View Post
    It usually happens to me within the clothing area in tescos Wick and Inverness, I take great enjoyment shocking the kids and wife when we go round.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dog-eared View Post
    I used to get bad shocks closing my car door. You could see and hear the spark. ( And feel it!! ) I got used to closing the door with my elbow. Much better than discharging through flesh !
    Same here! but worst one was when a colleague was smelling my new perfume, as her nose got close to my wrist you could see and feel the spark

O NOES!! If only we had an ASDA up here...
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

Quote Originally Posted by Metalattakk View Post
    O NOES!! If only we had an ASDA up here...
    Step away from the spoon
    @,'---.................................................. ---',@
    ~*~Believe In The Magic Of Your Dreams~*~
    ---',@................................................. . @',---

I get that from car doors but so far I have been fine in Wick.

Tesco clothing area is horrible, I normally aim the trolly at hubby and go off on my own.

Aye the car door does it to me too and also have to get hubby to empty the tumble dryer.

We should harness all this electricity we have to send it to the national grid.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Cars doors, cookers, some kitchen sinks and trolleys ! blooming painfull. Sometimes I would get a shock through my late husband also.
    Images of Spain can be seen at valspages.com

Last time I was through to the Tesco in Wick the same thing happened to me.
    People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will
    never forget how you made them feel.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly View Post
    Same here! but worst one was when a colleague was smelling my new perfume, as her nose got close to my wrist you could see and feel the spark
    I think that is a completely different kind of electricity !

I've had some terrible shocks in Tesco mostly in the clothing section whilst wearing crocs, I get shocks off the trolley and the metal shelving too, I've lost count of the times I've jumped and screamed
    Why be a hard rock when you really are a gem!

My Wife gets terrible static shocks in Tesco wick. She gets them from trolleys, Shelves, Car Doors, Taps, Other People, Tumble Dryer.
    Last edited by Highland lad; 25-Nov-09 at 20:07. Reason: added something

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast