Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Global Warming Propaganda

This will be EagleClaw having a wee poke and stirring things up again. Not heard from you in a while EC, been away have you? Sober this time?
    And this post, is it your own considered opinion? You haven't joined the debate, I wonder why?
    Working On Behalf Of The Community!

Quote Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post
    This will be EagleClaw having a wee poke and stirring things up again. Not heard from you in a while EC, been away have you? Sober this time?
    And this post, is it your own considered opinion? You haven't joined the debate, I wonder why?
    Its great that someone remembers me so there's my opinion on this issue.

Many people believe that global warming is caused solely by the human beings that are on the planet. It may be surprising to know that global warming is also a naturally occurring event. It can easily be argued that whatever global warming occurs naturally on the planet is a fraction of what humans are capable of contributing.

The human causes of global warming have been occurring for many years. The various methods in which humans contribute to global warming include everything from driving cars to simply breathing. Natural causes of global warming can be on a much larger scale that could be from sources outside of our planet. Whether the cause is natural or human, global warming is a serious problem that everyone should be aware of.

One natural cause of global warming involves the sun. Overtime explosions are generated on the surface of the sun and the impact is felt all the way back on Earth. The impact comes in the form of higher temperatures which directly affect global warming. These eruptions occur quite normally on the sun and the planet can be regularly subjected to the increased temperatures that result.

As both the Sun and the Earth orbit there are certain times that the two come closer to one another. When this happens it is normal to see an increase in temperatures on the planet. This is a great example of a natural cause of global warming. There is nothing we can actually do to prevent this from happening as it is part of the natural course of the universe.

Watch An Inconvenient truth, its got some good info. Search through some science websites, they'll have credible information.

Well most of us will be aware of solar flares and sunspots and although they can contribute to a warming of the earth's atmosphere they also cause other events to happen such as wiping out communications.
    With regard to the human contribution to CO2 emmissions common sense tells us that although we had an industrial revolution that was largely powered by fossile fuels,the internal combustion engine must be a far greater emmiter of such gases.Just one generation back, owning a car was a luxury,now it is quite common to have three in a single family! Worked out pro rata to the ever increasing world population it would be a massive increase in volume of such gases.
    The destruction of the tropical rain forrest must also be factored in, it's biggest job was to act like a huge sponge, soaking up the CO2 ,some 50% has been felled within a single life time!

Quote Originally Posted by redeyedtreefrog View Post
    Watch An Inconvenient truth, its got some good info. Search through some science websites, they'll have credible information.
    Got to agree with redeyedtreefrog.

An Inconvenient truth is a very good starting point for anyone wanting an easy introduction to the science behind global warming. After watching it I dug deeper and found that Al Gore has presented pretty much what the scientific community worldwide are in agreement about.

Global warming caused by man ?

Yes sir, I believe so.
    The box said, "Requires Windows XP or better"...

... so I installed Ubuntu!

The scientific community are the ones who got us into this bloody mess, it's not as bad as we are told. They have to get funding from somewhere so come out with all the scare stories they can think of to get money from Governments to pay for half-assed research......in other words taxpayers money to keep themselves in employment. Every so often another story crops up along the lines of 'We were wrong, it's worse than we thought'. Reading between the lines, what they are actually saying is 'we need even more of your money to continue our research'.

The other side to the argument which is rarely heard, because Governments and those with an agenda will lose millions of tax £'s, is the fact that we are still coming out of a natural ice age, which takes quite a long time-so I'm led to believe, and one result of that is the seas getting warmer, which in turn absorb less CO2.

For sure, man-made CO2 levels don't help, but I don't buy all the claptrap from those with a vested interest. They can't be right all the time, can they? (Except when they want to scare us even more).

I wonder if the affected people of Cumbria will appreciate any global warming scepticism right now?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    I wonder if the affected people of Cumbria will appreciate any global warming scepticism right now?
    But is it directly due to (man-made) global warming?
    I don't KNOW the answer, but this is another bandwagon to jump on and to use as propaganda by those banging the drum.

We readily forget that most major towns and cities in the UK and the majority of the world are built up around rivers or their estuaries. Over the (hundreds) years these have flooded in the past, but they wouldn't have affected people so much or intensely because fewer folk probably lived there and it may have happened every year or two.

Then it doesn't happen for a while the floods get forgotten about and more people move in and houses built. Then there is a flood and everyone says me how did that happen when their living a few metres from a water course.

What about all the man-made ing about with water courses & dams? This area is in the run off from the Lake district, hasn't there been man made changes to use the lakes as reservoirs?
    What impact does it have on an area when a dam fails, either controlled or uncontrolled. Or even just overflowing.

Again I don't know if this has any effect, a direct or indirect effect.
    But I convinced it is not directly due to man made emissions.

I used to live in an area that had flood plains close by, huge expanses of prime greenbelt left for agricultural use and recreational use.
    The councils made preservation orders to keep them as such. But then some councillors were a little more interested in the money that could be made (personally) by investment from property companies.

All of a sudden houses were popping up on the flood plains, well, they ain't flooded for a few years!

And then there was a bit more rain than usual and surprise, surprise. The houses got flooded!
    Global warming they said, why 'avent council built flood defences' they said.

Now I'm not saying Cockermouth is a flood plain that has been ignored and built on. But it is not directly due to global warming from man made emissions either.

A warmer climate means more evaporation which means more rain, it doesn't really get any simpler than that.

Default And there's this

Mexican scientist warn Earth will enter 'Little Ice Age' for up to 80 Years Due to decrease in solar activity
    Excerpt: An expert from the National Autonomous University of Mexico predicted that in about ten years the Earth will enter a "little ice age" which will last from 60 to 80 years and may be caused by the decrease in solar activity.
    Last edited by Eagleclaw68; 25-Nov-09 at 00:22.

actually, they mignt. piers corbyn, astrophysicist and agw sceptic could have told them 10 montns ago to brace themselves fOr.... water and gales.

i really should add that it is beyond criminal that the metoffice do not take his methods into consideration. Predicting a storm to hit where it did to the very day of when it happened 10 MONTHS in advance using forecasting methods based on solar activity cannot be sniffed at. btw.... Another one coming end of december!

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    What did justlooking do to upset the mods?

One post and their banned, crikey
    Is this a new record for the org.?

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleclaw68 View Post
    Its great that someone remembers me so there's my opinion on this issue.
    <stuff snipped out>
    It's a good thing you stated what followed that first sentence as your opinion. There was hardly anything accurate in what followed.

Quote Originally Posted by joxville View Post
    The scientific community are the ones who got us into this bloody mess
    Nope. we just found it, like a turd lying on the carpet.

... is the fact that we are still coming out of a natural ice age, which takes quite a long time-so I'm led to believe,
    It takes a long time, but it's done and dusted quite some time ago.
    ...one result of that is the seas getting warmer, which in turn absorb less CO2.
    Warmer water holds MORE carbon dioxide. That might help in some respects. However the down side is the water becomes more acidic. Bye bye coral reefs.

For sure, man-made CO2 levels don't help, but I don't buy all the claptrap from those with a vested interest.
    Vested interests like the oil companies?

Quote Originally Posted by George Brims View Post
    Warmer water holds MORE carbon dioxide. That might help in some respects.
    Actually I thought the opposite.

It's not going away people, despite the Sun being at a low ebb, 2009 is still expected to be the 5th hottest year on record.

Cool sun and hot years, funny that, very strange!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...rds-began.html
    Last edited by Rheghead; 25-Nov-09 at 11:04.

It's not going away people, despite the Sun being at a low ebb, 2009 is still expected to be the 5th hottest year on record.

Cool sun and hot years, funny that, very strange!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...rds-began.html
    I heard this could be different if we had a very cold December, sounds a bit hit n miss to me these so called records.

From that same article:
    They also come just a day after critics called for a independent inquiry into leaked emails which appear to suggest respected scientists were manipulating data to strengthen the case for global warming.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

I don't think we have enough reliable data at all, never mind that which is twisted to gain the desired results.

We only really have reliable weather data for the UK since 1914, although some records go back to the 1650's this cannot be relied upon as accurate by today's calibrated standards.

I would imagine we have only really gotten any idea of global weather since WWII. The jet stream was only discovered at the end of the war.

How can we seriously think we have enough data when it's based on a tiny, tiny, tiny fraction of the time the planet has been in existence.
    And during all that time the planet has constantly evolved and changed in many ways, and it will continue to do so.

We still don't have answers for what has happened in the past to the planet, how can we predict the future.

Yes man has had an impact, in many ways, that cannot be denied.
    But change is inevitable, whatever we do. Part of the problem is the human psyche and our natural resistance to change.
    The planet is changing and carving up the countryside to plant some windmills isn't going to stop the evolutionary/natural/godly process.

It's cyclical surely, as night follows day. The planet will go from heatwave to iceage and back again, one process creates the other.

Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast