Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Money is round to go around!

Default Money is round to go around!

I went to Thurso tonight for my nightschool class at the Thurso college. On the way, along the Reay back road, I noticed that the car was slewing round on the left turns so I suspected a tyre was deflated. So I pulled into Richards garage (my usual petrol stop) by the tyre pressure area. Sure enough, the rear offside tyre was very soft so I got out the nozzle to inflate the tyre. But lo and behold, the tyre was going down rather than up, tried again but by this time the tyre was completely down. I went into the shop and explained the situation to the oldish chap(slow eye,glasses, scruffy cardie, you know the one). He said 'Our petrol pumps are working perfectly though!'. Puzzled, I repeated the situation again he explained that his petrol pumps were working perfectly. I said 'I am not on about the petrol pumps, I am on about your air pump.' He said, 'The compressor is empty and garage is all shut up now'. A silence descended and I twigged onto his obstropulousness. I said ' Have you a manual pump because my tyre is completely down now?' He said, 'Where do you get your fuel from?'. I said' Here, why do you ask?' He said, "I haven't seen you before". I said, "So my car is going to stay there all night till I get a pump myself?". He shrugged his shoulders. He walked out to the air pump and pushed the hose home into the tap as it was only halfway in. I tried it and it started to fill my tyre, I was rather relieved! I gave him a wave of thanks for being sooo helpful.

The air pump looks as if it hasn't seen any maintenance for years but it did the job.

Having now felt as if I have been put on trial and found wrongfully guilty of not buying fuel at Richards Garage, I will live up to my conviction in future.

Their loss entirely...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

dont mean to laugh at your misfortune, but that is the funniest thing i have heard for a while lol

I found the situation funny as well, but I was glad to get outta there!

Ironically, it was about 3 weeks ago that the same guy made a gleeful comment about me spending £65 on a fill up for my truck!!

Ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead
    I found the situation funny as well, but I was glad to get outta there!

Ironically, it was about 3 weeks ago that the same guy made a gleeful comment about me spending £65 on a fill up for my truck!!

Ouch!
    Oh dear, city ways are definitely creeping into Caithness, and it used to be such a nice place.
    (And that's not one of my usual sarcastic comments, I really do mean it)
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

Quote Originally Posted by JAWS
    Oh dear, city ways are definitely creeping into Caithness, and it used to be such a nice place.
    (And that's not one of my usual sarcastic comments, I really do mean it)
    I know what you mean, at one time in the not too distant past, air pressure was all part of the complementary service. Now we are expected to buy petrol to get air or even put a florin in e slot for it.

A lifetime of loyalty for petrol is alas no barter for man nor beast nowadays.
    Last edited by Rheghead; 20-Apr-06 at 10:13.

On one hand it makes you laugh, on the other cringe! I think this is the one thing I have read here that convinces me that customer service is a dead horse in caithness.
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

Customer Services in Wick..what's that? I went into a certain shop this afternoon. I was the only customer, I spent about half an hour looking about and no-one came to my assistance. I know I could have asked, but seeing as I was the only customer I thought it wouldn't be too much bother to serve me, and they have the cheek to wonder why everyone is off to Homebase.
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

rheg, you should write a complaint to the owner/manager. if you were unable to fix that yourself and were vunrable the outcome could have been un-thinkable

haha, thats good. ANywhere else it would be unbelievable, but here, normal eh?

That other garage down a bridgeend is the worst i think though. I cant count the number of times i have been in there and the look you up and down.

On top of that, i once heard a story from a woman i work with that used to work in that garage. APparently, some one showed up in a bit of a beat up car, filled up, and went into pay. The guy there (dont know which one) told the assistant that if they try and pay with a credit card, dont accept it, pretend the machine isnt working! I think they apid with cash anyway.

So, i think i will just stick to my bike. when i get the puncture fixed