Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Dead seals

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Dead seals

There is an on going scientfic investigation into the massive decline in Common Seals around the UK coast.
    If you see a dead common seal adult or pup can you PM me or contact the British Divers Marine Live Rescue so the animal can be checked.
    01825 765546
    We are intersted in looking at seals that are best described as fresh dead and are suitable for necropsy.

Many Thanks

Colin

Default dead seal pup

Came across a dead seal pup on Thurso beach this evening. It was not far from the Pavillion Restaurant.

NOT FAR FROM THE SEA AND SHORE____________

Thumbs down Seals.

Never seen so mutch seals around the Caithness coast last year,far far to many.
    Last edited by GLENELG; 05-Jan-10 at 23:19.

NOT FAR FROM THE SEA AND SHORE____________

Never seen so many seals around .From Staxigoe Harbour to Noss Head there were over one hundred Seals.
    Last edited by GLENELG; 05-Jan-10 at 23:42.

Quote Originally Posted by GLENELG View Post
    Never seen so many seals around .From Staxigoe Harbour to Noss Head there were over one hundred Seals.
    I can confirm this - I've counted over 100 on the rocks just north of Staxigoe harbour several times last year. The resident population at this spot is somewhat less at about 30 - 40 all year with other groups from here to Ackergill.
    Knowledge talks - Wisdom listens

The reason you are seeing higher numbers around at the moment is that seals return year after year to the same place to breed x
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

Question

Quote Originally Posted by GLENELG View Post
    Never seen so mutch seals around the Caithness coast last year,far far to many.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing you're a fisherman eh?
    "Life is a sexually transmitted disease, with 100% fatality." R.D.Laing

Quote Originally Posted by Aaldtimer View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing you're a fisherman eh?
    He might be, I was and hes right there have never been so many seals- little wonder theres no fish left in the sea.
    When i started fishing back in early 80`s we`d be lucky to see a seal a month, when I left it in 2002 there were 10 -15 of them every time we`d haul the trawl, so I dont know how you think theres a decline in them mate ?
    Cmey e Scorries

Most of the seals you will be seeing are Atlantic Greys not Common Seals and their numbers are merely getting back to where they were after the virus that struck down so many a few years back.
    Seabird was asking specifically about Common Seals which despite their name are not common at all.