Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dead seals

Default Dead seals

There is an on going scientfic investigation into the massive decline in Common Seals around the UK coast.
    If you see a dead common seal adult or pup can you PM me or contact the British Divers Marine Live Rescue so the animal can be checked.
    01825 765546
    We are intersted in looking at seals that are best described as fresh dead and are suitable for necropsy.

Many Thanks

Colin

Default dead seal pup

Came across a dead seal pup on Thurso beach this evening. It was not far from the Pavillion Restaurant.

NOT FAR FROM THE SEA AND SHORE____________

Thumbs down Seals.

Never seen so mutch seals around the Caithness coast last year,far far to many.
    Last edited by GLENELG; 05-Jan-10 at 23:19.

Never seen so many seals around .From Staxigoe Harbour to Noss Head there were over one hundred Seals.
    Last edited by GLENELG; 05-Jan-10 at 23:42.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by GLENELG View Post
    Never seen so mutch seals around the Caithness coast last year,far far to many.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing you're a fisherman eh?
    "Life is a sexually transmitted disease, with 100% fatality." R.D.Laing

Quote Originally Posted by Aaldtimer View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing you're a fisherman eh?
    He might be, I was and hes right there have never been so many seals- little wonder theres no fish left in the sea.
    When i started fishing back in early 80`s we`d be lucky to see a seal a month, when I left it in 2002 there were 10 -15 of them every time we`d haul the trawl, so I dont know how you think theres a decline in them mate ?
    Cmey e Scorries

Most of the seals you will be seeing are Atlantic Greys not Common Seals and their numbers are merely getting back to where they were after the virus that struck down so many a few years back.
    Seabird was asking specifically about Common Seals which despite their name are not common at all.

I am Aaldtimer,same here years agoe never hardley seen a seal.Iam at the creels and you want till see the state the ropes were in on the surface full of knots they are even taking the bait out of the creels,we never had this trouble before . There only three things our Goverment cares about at that three things start with an S, Seals Salmon and Spaniards.

What utter rubbish!Seals do not over fish the seas-HUMANS do!Seals take what they need to survive and only that,humans over fish,go over quota and then dump the dead fish they cant land back in the sea so if anyone is to blame for low fish stocks its the fishermen not the seals!Oh! and seals LIVE in the sea and always have so i reckon they have more right to the fish than any man or woman who wants to make a living out taking fish out of the sea,but I dont expect any fisherman to agree with me so heyho!x
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

Never seen so many seals around .From Staxigoe Harbour to Noss Head there were over one hundred Seals.
    I can confirm this - I've counted over 100 on the rocks just north of Staxigoe harbour several times last year. The resident population at this spot is somewhat less at about 30 - 40 all year with other groups from here to Ackergill.
    Knowledge talks - Wisdom listens

The reason you are seeing higher numbers around at the moment is that seals return year after year to the same place to breed x
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

Its always the same, SOME fishermen blame seals.
    Common seals have in Scottish waters declined 40% over the last 10 years Greys have increased by about 2.5% a year.
    There is a problem with cod worm that fish get from seal droppings thats not new.
    Birds eat fish so do Dolphins, Whales, Harbour Porpoise, otters and other fish.
    At the moment due to the decline in some seabirds, common seals, most cetaceans, some preditory fish, the overall picture would suggest animals that need fish to survive are eating less than ever before. Seals dont just eat fish they eat lots of sea creatures that are not hunted by fishermen.
    Does this mean we keep culling until we eliminate all the above ?
    On the plus side shark numbers have been desimated by fishermen so have the tuna to the point of near extinction of some species of tuna. These all ate other fish, this has not improved fish stocks.
    Human fishing methods have improved to the point that if there were no controls in place some fish stock would have been depleted to the point that it would have been pointless taking a boat out.
    No action was taken to stop the corporate organisation building large trawlers that can sweep up a mile long shoal of mackeral in a single shoot of a net,(shown on trawlermen).
    This type of fishing has led to smaller boats going out of business. The same effect occures when large supermarket set up in a town, small shops go bust.
    There are a lot of fish dumped because trawler have caught it's limit of a species or they are under size, that can be blamed on the E.E.C regulations. But fish are also dumped when a skipper finds a more valuable species and needs the space. It's not illegal to do this unless you are in Norwegion waters. From a moral point of view it's disgusting, but lets be honest if you are a struggling fishermen you will do anything to stay in business.
    Fishermen, conservationist all dislike the fish quota system.
    Some Fishermen wont accept the fact that fishermen created their own problem and there is little point in trying to point the finger at something else. Sustainable fish stock are needed, you can only have that when you take less then what can be replaced each year.
    No one in the uk would starve if there were no fish to be had, unlike some other countries.
    The young fishermen of today are paying the tab for their forebearers who fished in the sixties and seventies who took more out than could be replaced each year.
    There is little point arguing about the issues, just look on the internet and get the answers there.
    You can never change the mind of people who have fixed or bigotry minds who don't want to hear the truth.
    Colin
    Last edited by Seabird; 07-Jan-10 at 00:09.

Well said Seabird.......................

GREAT post Seabird and very correct too!I couldnt have put it better myself so well done to you! x

Well said, Colin.

Dead seal pup on Armadale beach, but unfortunately not much use to you - the head has been eaten already. Think it's a grey, anyway, from the size.

Oh great - just as I was typing that, senior dog started making ralphing sounds and I now have dead seal pup vomit on the landing

Quote Originally Posted by cazmanian_minx View Post
    Oh great - just as I was typing that, senior dog started making ralphing sounds and I now have dead seal pup vomit on the landing
    Yuk ! dogs never seem to know whats bad for them. I hope the dog has recovered and its vacs are up to date.

Quote Originally Posted by cazmanian_minx View Post

Diet tip for the New Year - print that off and tape it to the fridge door!

Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
    Yuk ! dogs never seem to know whats bad for them. I hope the dog has recovered and its vacs are up to date.
    She's fine - she re-ate it and it stayed down the second time! Had her boosters in November and is wormed regularly due to a frequent diet of sheep droppings, so I'm not too worried.

I am Aaldtimer,same here years agoe never hardley seen a seal.Iam at the creels and you want till see the state the ropes were in on the surface full of knots they are even taking the bait out of the creels,we never had this trouble before . There only three things our Goverment cares about at that three things start with an S, Seals Salmon and Spaniards.
    The number of creels around the coast has become so overcrowded that it's almost impossible to find an area where there are none, it's little wonder they are fouling the seals going about their legitimate business of fishing for survival. I do wonder however just how long the crabs and lobsters can survive with this mass onslaught of every conceivable nook and cranny of the sea bed where they live and sometimes stay alive long enough to breed. 20 years ago there were just a few crab potters putting out single pots here and there, now it's on an industrial scale with long strings of pots many 100s of yards long everywhere. Who cares about conservation when theres £££££ to be made at someone or something elses expense, who needs seals and seabirds anyway? One of the strange reasons you're seeing seals all around the coast is that that's where they live and it's the only place now where they can be sure of finding a few fish to survive on, nearly all the fish further out have been fished out, not by seals but by greedy fishermen. I see the trawlers are fishing close inshore again, got to find that extra pound somewhere I suppose, where's the fishery protection vessel when you need it. Maybe we should open a sea fare supermarket with special access for the seals, that way they can buy their own fish without taking the bread and butter from the fishermens mouths !!!

nirofo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast