Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dead seals

Nice one Nirofo.
    I can back up what you say regards the number of pots being put down.
    I was speaking to a person engaged in creeling, and they said " we are having to put out twice as many pots to catch the same amount as last year" i was told that 2 years ago. That has got to be a sign of over fishing. Will they never learn ?
    I have every respect for the hard working fisher folk, who go out in all weathers to supply us with the bounty from the sea. Lets be honest most of us loved cod and chips.
    But there has got to be a balance struck, you cannot take more out than can be replaced.
    I think we've all heard the stories of the sea being filled with so many fish you could scoop them out with a hand held net. Silver Darlings they were called, an industry and way of life was built round them in Caithness. Most of the small surviving Harbours are used by creelers, lets hope they dont go the way of the herring fishermen.
    The warning signs are flashing.

Colin

Quote Originally Posted by nirofo View Post
    The number of creels around the coast has become so overcrowded that it's almost impossible to find an area where there are none, it's little wonder they are fouling the seals going about their legitimate business of fishing for survival. I do wonder however just how long the crabs and lobsters can survive with this mass onslaught of every conceivable nook and cranny of the sea bed where they live and sometimes stay alive long enough to breed. 20 years ago there were just a few crab potters putting out single pots here and there, now it's on an industrial scale with long strings of pots many 100s of yards long everywhere. Who cares about conservation when theres £££££ to be made at someone or something elses expense, who needs seals and seabirds anyway? One of the strange reasons you're seeing seals all around the coast is that that's where they live and it's the only place now where they can be sure of finding a few fish to survive on, nearly all the fish further out have been fished out, not by seals but by greedy fishermen. I see the trawlers are fishing close inshore again, got to find that extra pound somewhere I suppose, where's the fishery protection vessel when you need it. Maybe we should open a sea fare supermarket with special access for the seals, that way they can buy their own fish without taking the bread and butter from the fishermens mouths !!!

nirofo.
    Great post niforo-pity the fishermen didnt think like you do!Welcome to the real world guys-its overfishing thats the problem not the seals x
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    The reason you are seeing higher numbers around at the moment is that seals return year after year to the same place to breed x

So explain to us why these creatures are there all year round then ????

As I said earlier in this thread the seal population has mushroomed in the last 20 years, I had first hand experience of it. I dont dislike Seals they have a right to be there but they destroy fish stocks , dont kid yourselves that they dont.

As for fishermen, how many of these beleagered souls are actually left in a job ??? When I started fishing thwere were 15,000 of us, now I think theres less than 2,000 in Scotland. De-commisioning got many owners out of the brown stuff but 1000s of us were left unemployed or moved on to other things.
    Over fishing !!! Hardly anyone does it now.

Creels. Lobstermen had their best year in about 2 decades this year, but as per normal the robbers who buy the damn things wouldnt give us more than £7 a kilo , while the kitchens of London charge £50-£60 a tail .

People that dont work with the sea , you should listen to those that do.

Rant over

Quote Originally Posted by Amy-Winehouse View Post
    So explain to us why these creatures are there all year round then ????

As I said earlier in this thread the seal population has mushroomed in the last 20 years, I had first hand experience of it. I dont dislike Seals they have a right to be there but they destroy fish stocks , dont kid yourselves that they dont.

As for fishermen, how many of these beleagered souls are actually left in a job ??? When I started fishing thwere were 15,000 of us, now I think theres less than 2,000 in Scotland. De-commisioning got many owners out of the brown stuff but 1000s of us were left unemployed or moved on to other things.
    Over fishing !!! Hardly anyone does it now.

Creels. Lobstermen had their best year in about 2 decades this year, but as per normal the robbers who buy the damn things wouldnt give us more than £7 a kilo , while the kitchens of London charge £50-£60 a tail .

People that dont work with the sea , you should listen to those that do.

Rant over

Like I said earlier, and someone else mentioned in a previous post, the 2 main reasons you're seeing more seals around the coast is because.

1) They are slowly coming back to the numbers they were at before
    disease decimated them, it's doubtfull they'll ever reach previous
    numbers for many reasons.

2) Massive overfishing has seriously decimated fish stocks in the areas
    where the seals used to feed, the only areas they can reliably find
    enough fish to survive on is close inshore where the trawlers don't
    normally fish. I said normally because they're not officially allowed
    to fish close inshore, but that doesn't seem to stop them does it.

Predatory animals are by their own nature self regulating, that is if they are left alone they will find their own natural population levels based on available habitat and the amount of prey in that habitat, seals don't destroy fish stocks, man does. If the status quo is altered through mans, (the fishermens) interference, then the predator, in this case the seals, will need to make adjustments in order to re-establish it's territory and food supply to maintain it's own survival. Of course you could wipe out the seals, that might prolong the overfishing by fishermen for a short while, but then eventually, (not too long) the fish stocks will also be wiped out! You would then be left with a situation where you had neither seals nor fish, happy world isn't it.

Incidentally, if the market wasn't so flooded with crabs and lobsters you might get a better price, but then if you got a better price you'd want to catch more crabs and lobsters, funny world isn't it.

nirofo.

Quote Originally Posted by nirofo View Post
    Like I said earlier, and someone else mentioned in a previous post, the 2 main reasons you're seeing more seals around the coast is because.

1) They are slowly coming back to the numbers they were at before
    disease decimated them, it's doubtfull they'll ever reach previous
    numbers for many reasons.

2) Massive overfishing has seriously decimated fish stocks in the areas
    where the seals used to feed, the only areas they can reliably find
    enough fish to survive on is close inshore where the trawlers don't
    normally fish. I said normally because they're not officially allowed
    to fish close inshore, but that doesn't seem to stop them does it.

Predatory animals are by their own nature self regulating, that is if they are left alone they will find their own natural population levels based on available habitat and the amount of prey in that habitat, seals don't destroy fish stocks, man does. If the status quo is altered through mans, (the fishermens) interference, then the predator, in this case the seals, will need to make adjustments in order to re-establish it's territory and food supply to maintain it's own survival. Of course you could wipe out the seals, that might prolong the overfishing by fishermen for a short while, but then eventually, (not too long) the fish stocks will also be wiped out! You would then be left with a situation where you had neither seals nor fish, happy world isn't it.

Incidentally, if the market wasn't so flooded with crabs and lobsters you might get a better price, but then if you got a better price you'd want to catch more crabs and lobsters, funny world isn't it.

nirofo.
    Who are these Trawlers you speak of ?? Where are they fishing ? There isnt to my knowledge a 6 mile ban on fishing inshore around Caithness just an exclusion of Sinclair Bay & Sandside Bay

It sounds as if you want a total ban on Fishing, so more unemployment beckons these men if you have your way? Remember the majority of Fishermen have cars mortgages families to feed & businesses to run so they need to catch enough for a living every week.

How do you explain Sammy the seal & his 12 mates 24 miles east of Wick waiting on the net to come up then ? The Seal population has grown significantly in the last 20 years- they are everywhere not just during breeding season- Ive seen it myself

The massive overfishing was done in the 70`s & 80`s and up to the end of the 90`s, It is nearly impossible to get away with black fish now, the rules & regulations on the remaining trawlers in the Scottish fleet is forcing even more to give up the job. The industry is heavilly policed by the Government & men have been put in jail for breaking the rules, The fishermen cannot land more than their quotas(which are set out by scientists who probably know more about the sea than you & I) So wouldnt you agree they are going in right direction ?

If not there wont be any trawlers left in 15 years time
    Last edited by Amy-Winehouse; 26-Jan-10 at 08:59.

You say that it is and I quote, "Nearly impossible to get away with black fish," Amy, does that mean that there are those who given the oppurtunity still try to flout the rules?
    Whilst appreciating that seals eat fish,and that some of the rules thought up by idiots in Bruselles are stupid to say the least,seals themselves are part of the marine food chain.Rant at the politicians by all means if you disagree with quotas and what it has done to the fishing industry but blaming seals hardly seems accurate or just.Yes, there numbers have increased and we now have a relatively stable population and as pointed out previously, they have merely recovered their numbers over the last few years.
    Left to it's own devices nature usually has a way of balancing things but unfortunately mankind seems to think that it can ignore basic natural laws, everything is finite.

Quote Originally Posted by LIZZ View Post
    You say that it is and I quote, "Nearly impossible to get away with black fish," Amy, does that mean that there are those who given the oppurtunity still try to flout the rules?
    Whilst appreciating that seals eat fish,and that some of the rules thought up by idiots in Bruselles are stupid to say the least,seals themselves are part of the marine food chain.Rant at the politicians by all means if you disagree with quotas and what it has done to the fishing industry but blaming seals hardly seems accurate or just.Yes, there numbers have increased and we now have a relatively stable population and as pointed out previously, they have merely recovered their numbers over the last few years.
    Left to it's own devices nature usually has a way of balancing things but unfortunately mankind seems to think that it can ignore basic natural laws, everything is finite.
    Ok then, It is impossible to land black fish in 2010 Lizz. The boat s that still remain in the white fish industry have tracking devices onboard so that if someone reports in that they are in a certain place , those in the office can pinpoint them exactly to see whos telling porkies. It is also for quota tallying up I should think.
    Also Trawlermen & seine net men have to land in designated ports, IE Scrabster, Buckie, FraserBurgh Peterhead Lochinver KLB Eyemouth are the main landing ports with Troon Oban & Mallaig. The reason for these designated ports is there are fisheries officers based in those ports who have to be present whilst landing their catches.

If the boats came in during the night , the F.O is supposed to be present, they couldnt come into Wick and land during the night like so many did during the 90`s so Black fish is a thing of the past.

Thank you for clarifying the matter so well, much appreciated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12