Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Huxley or Orwell ?

Default Huxley or Orwell ?

I found this while "stumbling " ( stumbleupon.com )

Huxley vs Orwell. Interesting.

http://imgur.com/gallery/zP5fa
    Last edited by Dog-eared; 18-Nov-09 at 23:38.

Thank you for sharing that. Very interesting, especially since I read both way back when I was a young rebel.

Not sure I absolutely agree with the end statement though. I think that a mixture of the two are happening. I believe that knowledge of certain things is heavily guarded. Yet it is the drowning in inconsequential information that allows us to be blinded to certain things. Though some of our world touches on Orwellian aspects, it does look like Huxley's reality has become our own.
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

I agree.
    30 % Orwellian insofar as being denied information and being watched , 70% Huxley. IMHO

No other opinions on this ?

I'll doublethink on this one.

Doubleplusgood thread for discussion though, Winston.

If Huxley were alive today do you think he would have named his third utopian book 'Org'?

Personally I couldn't see much difference between the allegedly horrific Brave New World and the supposedly genuinely utopian Island. I suppose that's what becoming an addict does to your intellect.