Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: "Energy Bulbs get dimmer"

Default "Energy Bulbs get dimmer"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8367933.stm
    "Energy Bulbs get dimmer" - Energy-efficient light bulbs lose on average 22% of their brightness over their lifetime, a study has found. In some cases they emit just 60% as much light as traditional models which are being phased out of shops, it says. bulbs did not live up to what they delivered in terms of people's perceptions of light. Traditional bulbs lose no more than 7% of their brightness by the time they burn out - equivalent to about 2,000 hours from first use. But the new energy-saving models, known as compact fluorescent bulbs, use up to 80% less electricity than traditional bulbs and could save up to £37 a year on energy bills...

Yep I think we know that, which is why, when we're down in England I buy a stack of energy-efficient bulbs from Morison's Supermarket giving out 150w but only using 30w) - not sure if Morrisons in Alness / Inverness sell 'em.. but it's the only place I've found so far.. excellent brightness too- these 100w; using 20w are pretty useless....

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bekisman View Post
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8367933.stm
    "Energy Bulbs get dimmer" - Energy-efficient light bulbs lose on average 22% of their brightness over their lifetime, a study has found. In some cases they emit just 60% as much light as traditional models which are being phased out of shops, it says. bulbs did not live up to what they delivered in terms of people's perceptions of light. Traditional bulbs lose no more than 7% of their brightness by the time they burn out - equivalent to about 2,000 hours from first use. But the new energy-saving models, known as compact fluorescent bulbs, use up to 80% less electricity than traditional bulbs and could save up to £37 a year on energy bills...

Yep I think we know that, which is why, when we're down in England I buy a stack of energy-efficient bulbs from Morison's Supermarket giving out 150w but only using 30w) - not sure if Morrisons in Alness / Inverness sell 'em.. but it's the only place I've found so far.. excellent brightness too- these 100w; using 20w are pretty useless....
    That makes sense now!
    I knew they went dimmer,thank god someone else noticed,i thought it was me.Getting dimmer,,haha
    I also found 23 Watt energy saving bulbs in Tescos giving out 120 Watt power and i must say it makes a difference but they are all still dim when first sw/on!

Talking

its good to see uv seen the light.

its good to see uv seen the light.
    I've had an energy efficient light bulb for 18 years now and it is just as bright as the day I bought it, as for the others they are just as bright. I think people just believe what they read (especially the bible).
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    I've had an energy efficient light bulb for 18 years now and it is just as bright as the day I bought it, as for the others they are just as bright. I think people just believe what they read (especially the bible).
    Light emitting devices to the biggest controversial book of fiction of all time...did i miss the link??

Quote Originally Posted by lister View Post
    Light emitting devices to the biggest controversial book of fiction of all time...did i miss the link??
    see John 8:12
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Wink

see John 8:12
    Cannae min!!
    Gotta be at work at 8:00!
    Will give him a call...whats his No ???

I had to replace a CFL bulb in a light that takes 3 of them, and the new one was miles brighter than the others. After the domestic manager pointed this out, I checked the make and size and all three were the same, so age definitely does make a difference. The same applies to fluorescent tubes.

Try to keep the bible out of this, or Stavro will be telling us CFL bulbs don't exist or some such.

I don't like the energy savering bulbs at all. Even after a while of being on they are just not very bright. In my flat we have the hallogen bulbs which are expensive but have lasted for quite some time and what fabulous light they give. To save them at night we use a lamp which has a standard red bulb, o which has lasted me for a year, or just not use a light at all and have a candle burning away while the tv/computer is on.
    Electronics, Sales, Spares & Repairs * TV * AUDIO * PC & LAPTOP * GAMES CONSOLES * IN CAR ENTERTAINMENT * DOMESTIC APPLIANCES * WEEE DISPOSAL *www.facebook.com/Vistravi.Tech * www.vistravi.com *

Reggers, sure it wasn't Genesis 1 1.3?