Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Juvenile Atlantic Greys?

Default Juvenile Atlantic Greys?

Spotted 1 last week then 2, there were 3 today hauled out up Thurso river. Just hope they don't suffer the same fate as the last group that invaded this area.

Looks more like commons to me Lizz but then again I cant find my glasses so cant see the pic too well that said I have seen grey seals in Thurso river so it may be-will leave it to some of the experts on here to give you a better idea (or someone who can see the photo better lol)x
    Last edited by Thumper; 17-Nov-09 at 17:31.
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

As Thumper said they are commons. There were 4 last week and there is another 2 who frequent the rocks nearer Scrasbter and sometime come into the Harbour. Not sure why but the common numbers jump up around here in November, could be a number of reasons.

Last winter up to seven would hang out on the slip at Scrabster, but years back 20 or more would hang out across from the Legion. They were quite an attraction and caused quite a stir.

If these ones knew what was good for them then they would vacate the river and go some place else as it was never made public what actually happened to the 20 or so I just mentioned.
    Away with the birds

Thanks kas an thumper, it was raining at the time so just took a chance at a pic from the car window and could n't hang about as we had a car waiting to get past us.
    Mind the commmons being down at Scrabster, got some great pictures last winter.

This one was upstream of the road bridge this morning. How far up a river will a seal go?

Just when you think everythings fine, life slaps you in the face.

Default Seals and rivers

How far will a seal go up a river? I found this article from Canada.

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.c...=A1ARTA0009691

I think it depends on what food they find and what problems they come across.
    If they find food plentiful they will be inclined to go as far as they can and that will mean a licence being applied for by the fisheries and the seals being shot.
    Although at this time of year i dont think there are many salmon for the seals to eat at the lower reaches of the river so i would expect the seals to head back toward the sea.

Colin

Thanks for that Colin the link records seals 200 Km up a river , perhaps one day this in Caithness ?.......................

Just when you think everythings fine, life slaps you in the face.

Talking

That's brilliant......did he go up the salmon ladder or jump the weir?

Don't think one will ever be allowed to get that far. Mind you a few may think thats a true rather than an edited pic. Pity it's not April 1st.
    Great pic non the less Grumphippo.

Colin

Quote Originally Posted by kas View Post
    As Thumper said they are commons. There were 4 last week and there is another 2 who frequent the rocks nearer Scrasbter and sometime come into the Harbour. Not sure why but the common numbers jump up around here in November, could be a number of reasons.

Last winter up to seven would hang out on the slip at Scrabster, but years back 20 or more would hang out across from the Legion. They were quite an attraction and caused quite a stir.

If these ones knew what was good for them then they would vacate the river and go some place else as it was never made public what actually happened to the 20 or so I just mentioned.
    I probably don't want to know, but what did happen??

Quote Originally Posted by Frith View Post
    I probably don't want to know, but what did happen??

No one knows cause we were never told. They tried many different tactics to get rid of them and failed, and then they just all disappeared. Would have been nice to know.

PS. Keep an eye out too for Mr or Mrs Otter, as one of them was close by the seals chomping on a fish the other day.
    Last edited by kas; 27-Nov-09 at 22:45.
    Away with the birds