Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Commonwealth Games

Default Commonwealth Games

Just read that the cost of the Commonwealth Games has risen from £ 81 million to £ 454 million!!

Do u think this is justified?

Quote Originally Posted by BINBOB View Post
    Just read that the cost of the Commonwealth Games has risen from £ 81 million to £ 454 million!!

What's the current rate of inflation again ??, The numpty that gave the first figure whoever he/she is should be sacked if not already.
    I wonder what the extras are that are going to cost £ 373 million more ??.
    Last edited by tonkatojo; 16-Nov-09 at 22:13.

Thumbs down

Of course it isn't justified.
    Government - both local and central - are skilful at adopting different financial rules from everyone else when dealing with money and resources that don't belong to them.
    Whether it's the Millenium Dome, the Scottish Parliament or a major international event you can bet it will be massively over budget because they know they can just hit the taxpayer with a huge bill.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by BINBOB View Post

No, I think that it is yet more corruption. Strange where all of this funny money comes from really.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavro View Post
    No, I think that it is yet more corruption. Strange where all of this funny money comes from really.

I must apologise...I wrote the post incorrectly...it should be the cost has risen by £ 81 million above the original figure of £ 373 million.How many schools,hospitals etc could we build with that money???

Sorry again for mistake.

It would appear that the saviour Salmond is at loggerheads with the BBC because they will not commit to the 2014 Commonwealth Games, this is a bit rich coming from him as its not so long ago the same man was spouting about severing ties with the BBC should he have his way and Scotland no longer be part of the UK.
    The bulk of a Scottish government bailout is to shore up the cost of the games which has risen £81 million to £454 million, Glasgow council via council tax has given £9 million of the shortfall and the Scottish government stumping up the rest.