Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Cake!

Default Christmas Cake!

I may be a little late, but have just made my Christmas cake, the first one I have done for about 6 years. Just wondering how many people actually still make their own Christmas Cakes, and Puddings come to that? In this busy world we live in, I know it is much easier just to buy them ready made, which I have also done myself. I used a hand written recipe I copied from somewhere, and then discovered it was one of Delia's.....which I have just read has been 'in print since 1978', so it must be well tried and tested! I still prefer the pre-cooked mixture tho' and it's surprising how much there was left to lick from the bowl......and I had it all to myself!!! Just going to sit back now and wait for the aroma to start wafting through the house..........Happy Baking!
    Caring people, caring for your animals......highlandpetcare.co.uk

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that is why it is called the present.

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Bear View Post
    I may be a little late, but have just made my Christmas cake, the first one I have done for about 6 years. Just wondering how many people actually still make their own Christmas Cakes, and Puddings come to that? In this busy world we live in, I know it is much easier just to buy them ready made, which I have also done myself. I used a hand written recipe I copied from somewhere, and then discovered it was one of Delia's.....which I have just read has been 'in print since 1978', so it must be well tried and tested! I still prefer the pre-cooked mixture tho' and it's surprising how much there was left to lick from the bowl......and I had it all to myself!!! Just going to sit back now and wait for the aroma to start wafting through the house..........Happy Baking!
    Hi, I still make my cakes and puddings Some years mincemeat also.
    Love the first smells that waft through the house

Mines has been made for over a month now and have had quite a bit of 'feeding' already.

Whilst the cakes look very healthy, I can't say the same for the brandy bottle lol.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by changilass View Post
    Mines has been made for over a month now and have had quite a bit of 'feeding' already.

Whilst the cakes look very healthy, I can't say the same for the brandy bottle lol.
    Sighs.....all the brandy is supposed to go in the cake Changi, your not supposed to take sippers as well.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

me and my OH are making a christmas cake for the first time. I dont even like the stuff to be honest.

Its in the process of being soaked in brandy just now. But really looking and smelling good! Marzipan to go on this saturday! (i think)

I also do mincemeat pies if i have time.
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    Sighs.....all the brandy is supposed to go in the cake Changi, your not supposed to take sippers as well.

Dinnae do 'sippers' Gol, cannae stand the bliddy stuff, thats more down your lane lol.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

***WARNING****
    If you eat any cake at Changi's do not drive for 2 days
    @,'---.................................................. ---',@
    ~*~Believe In The Magic Of Your Dreams~*~
    ---',@................................................. . @',---

I aint planning on sharing it.

It's MINE all MINE I tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by changilass View Post
    I aint planning on sharing it.

It's MINE all MINE I tell you.
    Alcoholics annonymous and weight watchers are beckoning

My name is Changi and I drink cake hic hic.

Ach they both beckon every new year, so nowt new there lol.

Made mine a couple of weeks ago, is it OK to feed it Whisky instead of Brandy?

Yowza............you're all plonkies

Don't see any reason why not AngieMac, might have to try a wee one next year with hubbies fav malt. Thanks for the idea.

Default Christmas Cake

Oh well there goes the Glenfiddich then
    Cheers

How do you manage to explain to the poor bairns its gonna make them a bit wobbly if they eat the cake

I like the idea of making your own.
    Have never tried it as i don't like Xmas cake or mince meat.
    You don't have to be mad to know me but it helps.

Bairns don't do dead flies!

Just noyiced the number of posts on my last one.
    The devil 666
    You don't have to be mad to know me but it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by AngieMac View Post
    Made mine a couple of weeks ago, is it OK to feed it Whisky instead of Brandy?
    In the past iv used whiskey,brandy and jack daniells, all cakes were good No one in the house drinks these so there is always a bottle about that someone has given us at some point
    If it was red wine that was needed that would be different!

I still make my own Christmas cake and puddings, and my own mincemeat. Two cakes one year, and two puds the next, so they are always well matured. But this year I've tried something different. A few weeks ago I found a recipe for Barm Brack, and Irish tea time cake. So I made it, and it was so delicious hubby suggested making it again instead of a Christmas cake. Soak 1lb each of raisins, sultanas and soft brown sugar overnight in a pint and a half of cold tea (or a pint of tea and half a pint of whisky). Next day add 1lb flour, 3 lightly beaten eggs, 3 tsps baking powder, and a teaspoon of mixed spice, and mix well. Pour the gooey mass into 2 or 3 greased and lined loaf or cake tins, and bake for an hour and three quarters at 150 degrees. Cool on a wire rack, and brush the tops with melted honey.
    Snowmen fall from the sky unassembled!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast