Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Researching Occupations

Smile Researching Occupations

I am trying to research my ancestors occupations and I don't know where to start! Can anyone give me an idea of where I can find out a bit more about Caithness stonemasons, shoemakers and carpenters covering the period 1700 - 1900. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Frelaco
    I am trying to research my ancestors occupations and I don't know where to start! Can anyone give me an idea of where I can find out a bit more about Caithness stonemasons, shoemakers and carpenters covering the period 1700 - 1900. Thanks!
    There isn't a lot about stonemasons, shoemakers and carpenters because I don't think they were too much different from stonemasons, shoemakers and carpenters anywhere else. Fishermen and farmers there is quite a lot about.

Try looking through the Statistical Accounts there may be something in one of them.

Default Researching Occupations

The late John Porter wrote a publication about the flagstone industry in Caithness. This may be of help to you.

Thumbs up

Janette and Fred - thank you for pointing me in the right direction. Maybe you're right Fred and I should stick to farming. The Munro branch of my tree farmed at Houstry.
    Thanks again for your help and I'll let you know how I get on!