Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Free Wills!

Default Free Wills!

I believe it is some kind of national free will month or something to that effect! If this is true is there anyone up here in Caithness that does such a thing and has anyone ever used this service?

Not planning on croaking just yet but...

Angel...

Free will - no chance if that - were all slaves to the machine...

I think trade unions can provide free wills as part of the membership benefits, certainly Amicus does them.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Will who? and why does he need to be set free.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

I think D W Georgesons do this Angel. I think the idea is that you give a donation to charity instead.

I may be wrong but I think Georgesons have stopped doing this now.

Damn I should have got my act together sooner!

It wasn't really free as you were expected to pay £65 but still a good saving.

I don't really have anything much to leave so would be great if I could just write it out myself but don't think this is acceptable in Scotland.

According to AgeConcern Scotland's leaflet you CAN write your own will, so long as you get someone competent (who is not a beneficiary) to witness and sign it. This is what my Gran has done, rather than use a solicitor.

Yes you can do your own will and if signed by 2 people with the date and their addresses it is valid.
    Im sure Greenfox solicitors are doing the free will service, and i do know the british heart foundation and dr.Barnardso are doing it, you could look at their web sites.
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

My will cost £5.00 to make. The solicitor said that as they will have the work of my affairs, they only take a small fee. With wordprocessors in use now, it is only a couple of name inserts and maybe extra few paragraphs for special instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by Venture View Post
    I think D W Georgesons do this Angel. I think the idea is that you give a donation to charity instead.
    Yes..I think that is how it works.Did a new will earlier this year at cost!!!

USDAW also do free wills for their members, ask your rep for details.

It seems that Powers of Attorney are an essential part of life now. Easy to set up and takes care of things if you are no longer able to.
    Last edited by Scunner; 13-Nov-09 at 13:59.

Didn't know he'd been locked up!

bum bum, ta

I'll see mesel out!

Default Free Wills

My experience is that you would have to be a member to get free wills. My wife and I paid an expert (attorney at law) and feel comfortable with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinovich View Post
    According to AgeConcern Scotland's leaflet you CAN write your own will, so long as you get someone competent (who is not a beneficiary) to witness and sign it. This is what my Gran has done, rather than use a solicitor.
    Thats all well and good, until someone who is left out of the will goes and gets a solicitor...

Yes, in theory, technically it will be a will, but even a first year law student could pick holes in that fairly easily.