Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Two Budge generations from John Budge & Janet Bain

Default Two Budge generations from John Budge & Janet Bain

Well I have now built up a good deal of information from my direct line of the Budge family, but I'd really like to know what happened to others from near the top of my tree.

Does anyone out there know anything about members in bold of the following two generations?

Family of John Budge and Janet Bain, married Watten 1728:
    Alexander (Watten, 1734)
    John (Watten, 1736)
    William (Watten, 1738) - there is some belief that this William married Helen (Ellen) Meicklejohn 1770 and if so I have a fair bit on their subsequent family
    James (Watten, 1742)
    Donald (Watten, 1748) - this is my direct line

Family of the above Donald Budge and Christian Douglas, marriage date unknown:
    Janet (Thurso, 1773)
    Elizabeth (Halkirk, 1777)
    John (Halkirk, 1778) - John died unmarried in Wick, 1860
    William (Halkirk, 1782) - I have this William as possibly emigrating to the USA, but this may be confused with a possible cousin, son of William and Helen above.
    Alexander (Halkirk, 1786)
    Donald (Halkirk, 1787) - I know a fair amount about this Donald from his marriage with Elizabeth Harper
    Christian (Watten, 1789)
    David (Watten, 1790) - this is my direct line
    Isobel (Watten, 1793)
    Margaret (Watten, 1796)

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Many thanks ... Simon

Default Budges

Hi

I have an Isabella Budge born about 1788, married Donald Sutherland in Halkirk on 16 Feb 1807 (they are my 3x great grandparents). Could she possibly be your Isobel?

Linda

Hi Linda

I would think your Isobella was unlkely as I have a definite birth date for my Isobel of 1793, so if she was to marry in 1807 she would only be 14.

Unfortnately, as I'm sure you know, there were rather a large number of Budge's around in the same area with the same christian names.

Many thanks for your reply though ... Simon

Hi Simon
    Nice to see you on this site.
    It is a while since we exchanged BUDGE data.

Watten Parish Registers: Alexander son of John - 16 Feb 1734 " John Budge in Houstrydoun and Janet Bain his spouse had a child baptised named Alexander. Witnesses Patrick Sutherland in Southdun and George Geddes in Northdun"

I have received data from a contact showing John & Janet m 1728 line which shows Alex b 1734 Watten as marrying Margaret Sutherland c 1773 .... I am not sure of the confirmation of this.

I have a Alex B & Marg S in Latheron - children at least Alex b 1788! according to son Alex's death 1869. Alex b 1788 m 1821 Margaret Couper.
    There appears to be 2 Alex Budge in Latheron parish around same time or Alex b 1734 married x 2. Perhaps someone here has the answers.

Tricia

Hi Tricia

Many thanks for your help - as usual! I'll give you an update soon on my Budges, I've nearly come to a grinding halt now.

Interesting to hear about the possible Alexanders. There are a few possible marriages for this family - it would would be wonderful if someone knows something for sure.

Simon

I have a great great grandmother = Isabella Budge who married my great great grandfather Donald Sutherland
    Then my grandparents, Alexander Sutherland..
    Here is the info I have..

My mother died in 2003, my father Jack Donald Sutherland, when I was 11 yrs old, in 1973.

I found my mother’s bible and it has our family tree in it...

Dad’s father (my grandfather) was Alexander Sutherland born 12 June 1889 – had emmigrated from Caithness (Westerdale) and my dad was a first generation NZ’er.

Dad had two older sisters – Amy and Ina.

Alexanders’ family were...(From Westerdale, Thurso)

His father – James Sutherland age 41 at time of census (1901)

His mother – Catherine age 40

Brothers and sisters were..

Harrieta – 19

Hugh – 14

Alexander – 12 (my grandad)

Donald – 11

Cathrine – 9

Ceorge – 8

John – 6

Margaret – 4

David – ?

About my ancestors...

JAMES SUTHERLAND 1860/CATHRINE
    JAMES SUTHERLAND 1823/MARGARET LOWRIE
    DONALD SUTHERLAND 1786/ISABELLA BUDGE
    CHARLES SUTHERLAND 1750 /CATHRINE GORDON

I am interested in the James Budge (b. 1842, Watten) mentioned above. Did he marry Christian Flett?