Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Biffy Clyro - Only Revolutions

Talking Biffy Clyro - Only Revolutions

I didn't think they would be able to make a better album than 'Puzzle', but they have, by a long way, these new songs are simply fantastic.

Pretentious types, will probably shout "Sell Out"....but who the hell cares what they think?

Sell outs.
    "But primarily, the drummer's supposed to sit back there and swing the band." The actual Buddy Rich

no sure yet - the captain is awful i think, that golden rule is great....

Well after following Biffy from the very start, I didn't really enjoy Puzzle at first as it's a good bit weaker than their first 3 albums, the creative experimentation on the first 3 albums is crazy good.

Puzzle grew on me after seeing past the "commercial nature" of the album, and it has some great songs on it.

Moving on to Only Revolutins, I was not so keen on first 2 or 3 plays but again it has grown on me. Sone very catchy hooks in there and some wonderfully structured songs. However, their creative experimentation has almost disappeared. They now have a basic Verse/Chorus/Verse song structure which some might say is great and it does work (tried and tested for years) but what I loved about Biffy to start with was that they were not afraid to go off on crazy 7 minute songs that sometimes sounded like 3 different songs.

It definetly has some great songs on it, Bubbles, That Golden Rule, Cloud of Stink. I just can't help but feel that it has been watered down though, I mean it has Mountains on it, which was not going to be on an album and came out over a year ago, but then again that is major label pressure for you.

All in all a grand effort but not their best work in my opinion.
    Pictures of you, litter my floorboards.

I don't see the big hype with Biffy? For some reason they just don't "do it" for me lmao!

I wouldn't turn them off, but I wouldn't put them on if you get me?

Quote Originally Posted by Olin View Post
    I don't see the big hype with Biffy? For some reason they just don't "do it" for me lmao!

I wouldn't turn them off, but I wouldn't put them on if you get me?
    Each to their own dude.
    There is a lot of hype surrounding them now yeah, never used to be that way though, but this always happens when a band goes to a major label after being on an independent label for so long.

The album is good, still not my favourite though.
    Last edited by loganbiffy; 10-Nov-09 at 16:45.

I prefer The Vertigo of Bliss, though Only Revolutions is alright. It's just not the band I fell for five years ago.

Kings of Leon though, there's a band that definitely changed their sound for the worse.
    Say what?

Not had much chance to listen to it yet but I like the singles. Yes they are different and more radio friendly but that was inevitable. Just wish I went to see them live during "Vertigo of Bliss" / "Infinity Land" - would have been mad in the crowd!!
    Agree with ya on KoL huh >(

Quote Originally Posted by huh View Post
    I prefer The Vertigo of Bliss, though Only Revolutions is alright. It's just not the band I fell for five years ago.

Kings of Leon though, there's a band that definitely changed their sound for the worse.
    Vertigo is my favourite Biffy album and looks like it always will be. Been listening to them for 7 years now, seen them 6 times and the first time I saw them, there was around 80 people there and I sat on stage with the band.

I bet they never thought they would be supporting bands like Muse, Red Hot Chili Peppers and so on back then.

They deserve the success for all their hard work, I just prefer the old material like Vertigo and Infinity Land.

Definitely, the new album is growing on me more and more as well thankfully. Liking "Booooom, Blast & Ruin".
    Say what?

Quote Originally Posted by loganbiffy View Post
    Vertigo is my favourite Biffy album and looks like it always will be. Been listening to them for 7 years now, seen them 6 times and the first time I saw them, there was around 80 people there and I sat on stage with the band.

I bet they never thought they would be supporting bands like Muse, Red Hot Chili Peppers and so on back then.

They deserve the success for all their hard work, I just prefer the old material like Vertigo and Infinity Land.
    Saw them at Bella must have been in 2007, they were on at like 2pm in a small tent if memory serves, little less than a year later saw them playing to thousands at hampden supporting RHCP. I noticed Kerrang magazine was always supportive of them when i used to buy it.

If we don't know where we belong
    It'll make no difference from where we started
    I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore