Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: BBC bins Caithness film about Wind Farms.

Default BBC bins Caithness film about Wind Farms.

It looks like the BBC are getting back their objectivity.

http://www.wind-watch.org/news/2009/...ind-farm-film/
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    It looks like the BBC are getting back their objectivity.

http://www.wind-watch.org/news/2009/...ind-farm-film/
    Nope...they are kowtowing to the Environmental lobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddquine View Post
    Nope...they are kowtowing to the Environmental lobby.
    The Environmental lobby? Why?

Will they recycle the film?

I wonder who starred in the film, the usual suspects?

"Go-ahead for 10 nuclear stations" About time too, stop pussy-footing around with these wind-factories and lets have some 'real' power and there's no CO2 either! If the French can do it (and we get a lot of our power via the Interconnector from their Nuclear Power Stations, all the better).. pity up here we will have to 'import' from England.. Full story: http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/uk_politics/8349715.stm but nitty gritty:

The government has approved 10 sites in England and Wales for new nuclear power stations, most of them in locations where there are already plants. It has rejected only one proposed site - in Dungeness, Kent - as being unsuitable on environmental grounds. A new planning commission will make decisions on the proposals "within a year" of receiving them, Energy Secretary Ed Miliband told MPs. Nuclear was a "proven and reliable" energy source, he said.
    Proposed sites
    The 10 sites deemed suitable for future nuclear plants are: Bradwell in Essex, Braystones, Kirksanton and Sellafield in Cumbria, Hartlepool, Heysham in Lancashire, Hinkley Point in Somerset, Oldbury in Gloucestershire, Sizewell in Suffolk and Wylfa in North Wales. Seven of the proposed locations are already home to nuclear plants while Bradwell was home to one in the past.

Ministers hope to fast-track the construction of the new plants so that some can be producing energy by as early as 2018.

Mr Miliband said the new Infrastructure Planning Commission would have to make a decision on each application within a year of receiving it, to avoid a repeat of previous lengthy inquiries. However, he insisted that people living close to the proposed sites would have plenty of opportunities to make their views known during the streamlined planning process. The government decided last year to go ahead with a new generation of nuclear plants, lifting a previous moratorium on nuclear expansion.
    'Climate challenge' Mr Miliband said nuclear was one of a "trinity" of future fuel options, alongside renewables and clean coal, which would help to secure the UK's energy security and reduce its dependence on imported gas. "We need all of them in the long term because of the challenge of the low-carbon future is so significant," he said. Most people living close to power plants were "enthusiastic" about them and the developments would create 9,000 jobs, Mr Miliband added. But he said the UK needed to do more to meet its renewables targets.
    Plans for any new plants in Scotland, to potentially replace existing facilities at Torness and Hunterston, are opposed by the SNP government. (hmm)

Quote Originally Posted by bekisman View Post
    "Go-ahead for 10 nuclear stations" About time too, stop pussy-footing around with these wind-factories and lets have some 'real' power and there's no CO2 either!
    You misunderstand. The proposed stations will only largely serve to replace existing and closed nuclear capacity. There is no reversal of renewable energy targets.