Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Sick leave and maternity leave????

Default Sick leave and maternity leave????

Whats the rules on sick leave and maternity leave?
    Ie I have been catching every cold and sniffle going at the moment (from Lauren being at nursery) and have been dragging myself into work regardless apart from last week when I couldnt get out of bed never mind going to work!

As I understand it my maternity leave would start automaticly if I was sick in the last 4 weeks before my EDD.

Is this right?

Not that im wanting to be ill but I would rather be at home when unwell than trying to struggle through the day at work!

does it depend where you work maybe? i was signed off work from april to august then decided to go on mat leave myself as there was no way i could work due to alot of problems.

you can not be penalised for taking sick tho.
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

I dont think it would depend on where I work.
    Its just the basic rights Im after!

Hi Dadie,

From the Directgov website:

Pregnancy-related illness
    If you are off work for a pregnancy-related illness during the four weeks before your baby is due, your maternity leave and Statutory Maternity Pay (from your employer) or Maternity Allowance (from Jobcentre Plus) will start automatically, no matter what you had agreed with your employer.

As far as I'm aware this only applies to being off sick within the 4 weeks before your EDD and when the reason you're not well enough to work is directly related to your pregnancy. Any other reason and I'm pretty you'd get sick pay as usual. Must say that's what I thought was the case....

Go to http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/...ghts/index.htm this gives u the government guidlines but your company will prob have some of their own as well - hope this helps
    (\__/)
    ( o.O) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
    (")_(") your signature, to help him gain World Domination.

This isn't the case of everyone but my employer state that if a pregnant employee is off sick due to their pregnancy before their 15th week it affects their maternity leave and how long they get. I may have picked this up wrong but thats seems to be the case. I think i'd fight them over that one if i was in that situation myself.
    Electronics, Sales, Spares & Repairs * TV * AUDIO * PC & LAPTOP * GAMES CONSOLES * IN CAR ENTERTAINMENT * DOMESTIC APPLIANCES * WEEE DISPOSAL *www.facebook.com/Vistravi.Tech * www.vistravi.com *

Just as long as coughs and colds (and anything else Lauren wants to share with us from nursery) doesnt affect my maternity leave I will be ok!

I just seem to catch everything going at the moment and only have a wee while left to work but dont want to my maternity leave to start too early as I want all the time the other side with my baby and my other 2 horrors

that is 15th week before EDD not your 15th week of pregnancy mind.
    basically if you are off ill for a certain amount of time after the 15th week before your due date your employer can make you start mandatory maternity leave. but again i think that is if it is preg. related.
    http://itqueries.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Dadie View Post
    Just as long as coughs and colds (and anything else Lauren wants to share with us from nursery) doesnt affect my maternity leave I will be ok!

I just seem to catch everything going at the moment and only have a wee while left to work but dont want to my maternity leave to start too early as I want all the time the other side with my baby and my other 2 horrors
    Aye they do like to share the things they pick up at nursery don't they?

I've had a permanent cold since may.
    Electronics, Sales, Spares & Repairs * TV * AUDIO * PC & LAPTOP * GAMES CONSOLES * IN CAR ENTERTAINMENT * DOMESTIC APPLIANCES * WEEE DISPOSAL *www.facebook.com/Vistravi.Tech * www.vistravi.com *