Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How can we improve the General Forum?

Angry How can we improve the General Forum?

in a recent post....
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddquine View Post
    Have to say the org is becoming pretty boring in the General Section anyway, because what we don't tend to get are threads with people politely disagreeing with other's opinions but threads chastising people for holding those opinions.

The org General Section is slowly becoming a whinefest of opinions about other posters with little to recommend it to those interested in Caithness and life in Caithness.
    I agree. It's been going down the tubes ever so slowly since the day I joined.

So how do we fix it?

Should we have stricter rules about the kind of replies that are allowed? This wouldn't be necessary if poor quality replies were simply ignored but this doesn't happen here as it does on some other forums.
    Good posters leave instead of ignoring the dross and posting good stuff themselves. This is in my opinion the Org's major weakness.

Some forums have a separate section for serious topics or debates and this sort of works, but the danger is that it would destroy the inclusive nature of the Org.

small fishing village outside wick called pulteney

Wink

[QUOTE=crayola;611885]in a recent post....
    I agree. It's been going down the tubes ever so slowly since the day I joined.

you could leave and see if it has the reverse effect of the above lol

I dont know whats going on with this forum right now.

I think that there have been some interesting threads but people make a joke of serious matters. For example the thread "making a mountain out of a mole hill"

Its a forum, i would say 90% of the people on here dont know me, yet they are very offensive towards me. Dont care anymore though.

The org has lost good posters and its quite sad. I miss Torvaig
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

There are still some excellent posters here but only a few post regularly. A lot have almost given up and this is the root cause of many of the problems in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post
    There are still some excellent posters here but only a few post regularly. A lot have almost given up and this is the root cause of many of the problems in my opinion.

I totally agree with you. I wouldnt say i was an excellent poster but really only post now and again where the tread takes my interest and sometimes will go a week or tw0 just reading whats being wrote.

There is a good few on here who tend to read to much into things and get all defensive and that ends up in the slanging match that seems to be happening alot. Im not saying all my posts are perfect but it is a forum and im just saying my own opinion whether folk like it or not.

Hope it does improve a bit the tellys depressing enough dont let the org go the same way!!!!!!!
    What doesn't kill you, will make you stronger.....

Tackle the 'offended' brigade head on.

There's more than a couple on here who are quick to criticise and pass their own ill-informed jugement at the drop of a hat, only to retreat in a cloud of self-pity when someone takes them apart. If anything this place isn't robust enough in my view. If you can't hack verbal fisticuffs - don't get involved.

The worst ones are those who pounce upon any new poster who dares to put something up that's open to polarising views. Shades of playground bullies picking on 'the new kid' because they think they can get away with it?

More modding isn't the answer, you'll just stifle this place until it becomes nothing more than a sycophantic back-slappers club.

I've nothing against people discussing what their favourite cushion is, or what the latest bargains are in Matalan. But I cannot see why those who wish to lay into each other in a reasonably intelligent manner (without getting too personal) should have to tone it down to suit those who don't want to get involved.

We're a broad church at the moment - and that's how it should be.

[edit]: and yes, we've lost a lot of bloody good posters on here.
    Last edited by northener; 25-Oct-09 at 14:25.

I think you're right Northener. The 'offended' are usually missing the point anyway.

I still think most of the responsibility lies with the good posters that aren't posting.

I think you're right Northener. The 'offended' are usually missing the point anyway.

I still think most of the responsibility lies with the good posters that aren't posting.
    That's a very good point.

However, like some of the 'good posters' we were talking about, I get to the point when I really can't be arsed to listen to - or challenge - some of the easily bruised ego trippers on here. And the easiest way to avoid them is, unfortunately, don't post on the site.

BTW, you have a PM

When I first joined the Org wayyyy back in 2001 or whatever year it was (Lost my original username) it was certainly entertaining, good topics, very little snide remarks, the chatroom was good crack.

It seems to have lost it spark somewhat. I mainly just pop on at the weekends to see what's going on, don't realy bother during the week unless I have a spare 30 mins or so.

It's a shame realy, because the Org is a great and unique site. I just hope that some of the orgers don't spoil it for the others.

Not that I'm claiming to be a good poster..but I have found that many of my last well spaced posts have been in irritated response to those threads which end up attacking the poster and not the post.

I don't know about anyone else.......but I am finding that, on the odd occasion nowadays when I see a post title which implies it contains a serious point worth discussion.........I read as far as the first stupid, "funny", off topic oneliner, or the first character assassination, and generally sigh and go elsewhere because I can anticipate the tone of the rest of the thread.

Not that I'm claiming to be a good poster..but I have found that many of my last well spaced posts have been in irritated response to those threads which end up attacking the poster and not the post.

I don't know about anyone else.......but I am finding that, on the odd occasion nowadays when I see a post title which implies it contains a serious point worth discussion.........I read as far as the first stupid, "funny", off topic oneliner, or the first character assassination, and generally sigh and go elsewhere because I can anticipate the tone of the rest of the thread.
    Personally, I've no problem with a wisecrack or a witty response to an otherwise 'serious' subject - providing it doesn't hijack the thread completely.

Actually, reading what you've just put, it's made me realise just how less tolerant I am on here than I was, say, 12 months ago. I tend to tolerate fools less than I used to and cannot be bothered to be polite a lot of the time now.

Quote Originally Posted by northener View Post
    Tackle the 'offended' brigade head on.

There's more than a couple on here who are quick to criticise and pass their own ill-informed jugement at the drop of a hat, only to retreat in a cloud of self-pity when someone takes them apart. If anything this place isn't robust enough in my view. If you can't hack verbal fisticuffs - don't get involved.

The worst ones are those who pounce upon any new poster who dares to put something up that's open to polarising views. Shades of playground bullies picking on 'the new kid' because they think they can get away with it?

More modding isn't the answer, you'll just stifle this place until it becomes nothing more than a sycophantic back-slappers club.

I've nothing against people discussing what their favourite cushion is, or what the latest bargains are in Matalan. But I cannot see why those who wish to lay into each other in a reasonably intelligent manner (without getting too personal) should have to tone it down to suit those who don't want to get involved.

We're a broad church at the moment - and that's how it should be.

[edit]: and yes, we've lost a lot of bloody good posters on here.
    Dare i say but who would you say is the top 10 offenders on here and why maybey the offenders dont relise that they are offenders and maybey this need to be talked about openly

Oddquine i think you are a good poster, your posts are not biased and i would say you are open to other peoples opinions.
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

So how do we fix it?

Should we have stricter rules about the kind of replies that are allowed? This wouldn't be necessary if poor quality replies were simply ignored but this doesn't happen here as it does on some other forums.
    Good posters leave instead of ignoring the dross and posting good stuff themselves. This is in my opinion the Org's major weakness.
    What would you suggest Crayola? Another poll perhaps
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

I think that if everyone had a thick skin and didn't take anything to heart then it doesn't matter if someone gets over sensitive about something and starts a battle thread.
    Electronics, Sales, Spares & Repairs * TV * AUDIO * PC & LAPTOP * GAMES CONSOLES * IN CAR ENTERTAINMENT * DOMESTIC APPLIANCES * WEEE DISPOSAL *www.facebook.com/Vistravi.Tech * www.vistravi.com *

We have certainly lost a lot of good orgers of late and new members seem to be filling their places by the double. The forum is not the same as it used to be, there are very few good debates. Sometimes I can't believe the rubbish that some people feel they need to start a thread about.

A lot of trouble is caused on here by those amongst us whose sole purpose in being an orger is to pop up and post to criticise or ridicule others. These people never seem to start a thread and have a following of regular "yes I agree with you" men who half the time don't even know what they are agreeing with but like to be part of what they see as the in crowd on the org.

We are all of different levels of intelligence on here and sometimes what one person sees as humour another sees as offence. Sometimes even I can't understand the dry humour from some of our more regular posters but I don't let it bother me and just move on to something else.

There will always be differences in opinions too and I think that gives the board variety and is more interesting. It also helps you to learn more about a person without knowing them personally if you know what I mean. Perhaps it would be a good idea if we could "wipe the board" as they say and start again. Why not let past differences be left in the past and send out an open invitation to all those who no longer post to come back in to the fold. Surely it's worth starting an open invitation thread to try at least.

i think positive threads are the solution.
    I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore

Live and let live.

The org over the years has had these "dull or difficult" moments they'll pass they alwas do.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

Quote Originally Posted by EDDIE View Post
    Dare i say but who would you say is the top 10 offenders on here and why maybey the offenders dont relise that they are offenders and maybey this need to be talked about openly
    Nope, sorry mate. All that will happen is that you'll end up with a hundred different lists...and the fallout would be around for months. Everyone has different Ideas about what is acceptable/or not and who is a 'good poster'/or not.

It would be an interesting experiment, though.....

Am not an avid follower of any other forums, but I would imagine that Caithness.org isn't alone with "bullies" - how do other forums go about tackling it.
    I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast